ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Apr 1, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #46 of 888
  Yet again, those are cheap MUSE chips. No where near the price of a MUSE 01 or MUSE 02, they are different things.

01 and 02 both have pretty awkward price. $50 each, that price is in the same range with several famous TO-99 opamps. It is very difficult for people to try them out and justify their price.

I will be really happy if ASUS could just cut these muses 8x20 and put in OP amps like opa2111. Combo such as opa627bq + opa249 will be much better and definitely more widely welcomed than current configuration, and remain the same cost or less.

But again, I think Asus just put in these MUSES to attract eyeballs. Not every consumer understand the difference between ICs. All they concern is how good they appears to be in a quick Google search. Muses probably wins in that battle.

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #47 of 888
Many pictures with the real product on my review.

You can use google translate for the text, is romanian. The english version will be ready later.

http://soundnews.ro/2014/04/10/asus-essence-stx-ii-review/

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #50 of 888
Hi, I have a Xonar ST. Is it worth it to change to STX II?
The advantage for me is PCIE, new motherboards doesn't have PCI.

STX II = Better clock and better current filtering = Better sound

May 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #54 of 888
  About OPAs (ICs) they are all bad jokes after you compare them with solid state OPAMPs.

They are not bad jokes if you know how to get the best out of them. Direct coupling & power supply modifications
 is critical to getting the best out of them. I would pit my modified card against with stock IC opamps with any discreet solid state opamp.

May 26, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #55 of 888

They are not bad jokes if you know how to get the best out of them. Direct coupling & power supply modifications
 is critical to getting the best out of them. I would pit my modified card against with stock IC opamps with any discreet solid state opamp.

Pretty sure it will be better, but no way to compare it (IMHO).

The difference is just TOO much.

May 31, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #56 of 888

It probably still has the same problems as the STX, like the output impedance of the headphone amplifier, and noise with very sensitive headphones/IEMs (due to the lack of analog volume and gain control), maybe even the increased noise floor at 44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz sample rate is still there.

This statement got me curious and at first I thought you maybe experienced a defective unit, because I use an HD 650 and even at 600 ohm setting getting the volume slider on max produces zero practical noise. But to check your statement I plugged in my Xperia PLAY in-ear headphones and at 300 ohm on maximum volume a background noise is evident, low volume, but still very noticeable if no music is playing.

But then you have to remember, this is not a sound card designed to drive low sensitivity headphones. At 600 ohm, this is a monster sound card to drive brutal diaphragms. If you want to use low sensitivity headphones it's probably better to stay away from a monster card like the STX.

Not everyone will agree with what I'm saying, thinking that a good card will handle any headphone with perfection, but there is a fact in the engineering world that is inevitable: if you gain too much on one side you'll also lose on the opposite. The fact that the STX performs with incredible performance on higher end headphones and has background noise on lower end headphones shows that the STX was clearly engineered towards high end, and I accept that. I won't use my cellphone in-ear phones on my PC.

The noise is not a problem on this card if you use a headphone recommended for a card like this. I call this "using a product the way it was intended to". It's the same as trying to use 10" wheels (headphones) with an off-road vehicle (sound card). It will work, but with clear limitations.

May 31, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #57 of 888
  ...because I use an HD 650 and even at 600 ohm setting getting the volume slider on max produces zero practical noise.

I want to correct this statement. I did more tests and I can actually hear a very, very low and subtle noise on max with the HD 650. But then again, I always listen to music at 300 ohm at 10% volume. That noise is REALLY light years from being heard in these amplification conditions.

Turning an HD 650 at maximum volume @ 600 ohm on an STX is begging for losing your hearing. It's nuts and might also damage the diaphragms.

Jun 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #58 of 888

STX II = Better clock and better current filtering = Better sound

Concerning the clock on the STX™ II, what additional power connections, if any, would I need to retrofit the TCXO to my first-gen STX™?  Asus® is obviously reading the reviews of mods; my first-gen STX™ (and the ST™ before it) used a different crystal from the temperature-controlled one in the second-gen.

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #59 of 888
I was considering upgrading, but I have the same problem I've got with the STX, that the SPDIF and COAX are combined, and if I want my BiFrost and Logitech Speaker System connected via digital, then I am out of options unless I do the biFrost via  USB. I don't think you can use the motherboard onboard sound AND the STX at the same time right?

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #60 of 888
  I was considering upgrading, but I have the same problem I've got with the STX, that the SPDIF and COAX are combined, and if I want my BiFrost and Logitech Speaker System connected via digital, then I am out of options unless I do the biFrost via  USB. I don't think you can use the motherboard on-board sound AND the STX at the same time right?

Why not just replace the Essence STX with a cheaper Xonar DX?
Connect the Bifrost with the optical and connect the Logitech speakers to the analog outputs on the Xonar DX.
I would guess the Xonar DX's CS4398 DAC chip should match or better the Logitech's DAC chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back