ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
May 30, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #468 of 888
  Are you guys generally using the STX/STXII with an upgrade opamp and that's it? No need for external amp/dac?

I have an ST (7.1) and a STX II (7.1)
My not so cheap Rotel RSP1066 is outperformed by the STX II. (ok it is an old processor)
I leave all the decoding to the card (The rotel is only used as 5.1 channel volume)

Both cards perform beyond expectations and are still unmodified.

With all the issues there are with the First STX, naming it as if they were comparable with the STX II, is just a sick joke.

I wonder if there are issues with the STX II !
I would prefer this topic would split up in a STX and a STX II section.

May 31, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #469 of 888
STX and STX II both have the same issues. There is no difference. And not everybody is affected.

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #471 of 888
Those things were never the issue. The issue was bad drivers. They persist in all third party internal sound cards from Asus.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #472 of 888
Those things were never the issue. The issue was bad drivers. They persist in all third party internal sound cards from Asus.

After XP sound became a big problem, i agree! But that has been a problem for a lot of manufacturers. Not just asus
But asio prevented me from dealing with the windows sound handling.
Asio on W8 was tough to get running but it can be done. (forcing the asio driver to run realtime did the trick)

Jun 4, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #475 of 888
  Would it make sense to couple the STX with an Tube amp to warm up the sound for my HD 800?

Would you use the headphone output of the stx and connect it with a tube amp? (sorry tube amp noob here)

You could use a tube amp but you could also change the 2 op amps to something that has a warmer and more detailed sound sound check the op amp thread or the first stx version thread also

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #477 of 888
Hi guys,

I've been reading about the STX II for a night. What I gather is that it is a great soundcard stock with the Muses 8xxx opamp and can be further upgraded with other opamp such as the Burson V5s.

I have no experience in purchasing DAC/Amp whatsoever. Currently I own a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 II and Audio Technica ATH-R70x. The HD25-1 II plays fine with my PC onboard but I can feel the R70x being bottlenecked. Sound and volume are sort of masked and cannot go louder.

So my question is, will the STX II be a significant change to both my headphones with the stock opamps? To go Burson V5s on the spot will be out of my budget.

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #478 of 888
Depends on your onboard audio. Years ago I would definitely say a sound card/DAC would be a significantly noticeable upgrade, but I hear modern integrated audio is not too bad. I don't know for myself whether it is comparable, but I would expect you would notice a difference between onboard and an STX II (with the stock opamps or any).

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #479 of 888
My mother board a Asrock 970M Pro3  has a Realtek ALC892 which has Elna caps although not the best on board sound still very good on board. Comparing that to my STX II its not even in the same league, The STX II even with the stock Op amps is much better in all aspects  

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #480 of 888
Hi, everyone!

I own a STX II, which I'll upgrade their OpAmps with the new ones Burson V5i, they are on the way. I already notice that are other components to upgrade, like the MKPs, I have bought 6 of them (WIMA 0,1 uF MKP). But I have doubts where they have to be soldered.
Do you know exactly where I have to solder the pins of those new MKPs? There are any guide, how to or tutorial?

Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back