ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Sep 2, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #362 of 888
Well, done a lot of reading, my socket 775 motherboard has died & I had the Essence PCI ST fitted in this board. Unfortunately I now need to buy a new one. I was looking at the Z97 boards of which few have PCI sockets & those that do, do not overly appeal to me, so with PCIe in mind is it a good idea to switch to the STXII  or should I somehow stick to my PCI essence ST? Will the STXII sound as good?

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #363 of 888
I don't see why either card would not sound properly, given appropriate sequencing of the PCI/e cards your new system and use of the correct update of Maxed Tech® UNi XONAR® Audio Software™.  I have an Asus® CM1630-06 (Advanced Micro Devices® Athlon II® X2 220, 760G/SB700 chipset; upgraded to Antec® TruePower® New™ 750 Blue™ PSU) that is a typical worst case common to Micro-ATX systems:

On the stock M4A78LT-M(CM1630) system board (1 PCIe x1, 1 PCIe x16, and 2 PCI 2.2 expansion slots), the PCIe x1 and PCIe x16 are immediately adjacent, and I needed an EAH6850 DirectCU® for sufficient performance for UStream® Television.  I couldn't use the XONAR® Essence™ ST™, as it would cut off the EAH6850's cooling air (due to placement of the fan on the EAH6850's DirectCU® fansink w/r/t the length of the XONAR® ST's circuit board).  That meant the XONAR® Essence™ STX™ is adjacent the video card.  In practice, that worked fine, as the STX' analog section is fully shielded against the RFI that the EAH6850 throws off; the rise in noise floor proved negligible in my case.  The STX II™ is similarly shielded to its predecessors against RFI.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #365 of 888
It has the same Dolby Headphone support that the original Asus Xonar STX had judging from reviews. You would just need to config windows audio to 5.1 as well as games and the Asus input in the panel to 5.1 and change the output to headphones to enable Dolby Headphone after you pick from the 3 modes it has. I usually use DH1 my self and some times DH2 depending on the headphones at the time.

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #366 of 888
  It has the same Dolby Headphone support that the original Asus Xonar STX had judging from reviews. You would just need to config windows audio to 5.1 as well as games and the Asus input in the panel to 5.1 and change the output to headphones to enable Dolby Headphone after you pick from the 3 modes it has. I usually use DH1 my self and some times DH2 depending on the headphones at the time.

Yea, my current headphones, the sennheiser 558, seems to work best with dh2. But I previously had an audio technica ad700 and that worked best with dh1. Might get an akg k702, I'm curious as to which setting would work best with that.

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #367 of 888
I think i may had used DH3 when I had the AKG K702 I don't recall it be a long time since I had them, it may have been DH2. But I know I enjoyed Left 4 Dead 2 alot with one of those settings as it worked really well.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #370 of 888
Excuse me guys but for Win10 i saw this card have available only a beta driver.

Anyone can give some feedback about ? 
- run well ? 
- some bugs ?
- any kind of issues ?

and another important question ...... Creative Acoustic Engine run greatly with this card or give some problems ?
Creative surround feature run ? 

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #371 of 888
If this Creative Acoustic engine program is a standalone surround software like razer surround software then it should work but how so no one knows. But if it part of a driver software package for creative gaming headset line then of course it wont. There isn't much info that I can find about it, so I doubt it will. If you need Virtual surround you can just use Dolby headphone on the STX II and config windows and games correctly.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #372 of 888
  If this Creative Acoustic engine program is a standalone surround software like razer surround software then it should work but how so no one knows. But if it part of a driver software package for creative gaming headset line then of course it wont. There isn't much info that I can find about it, so I doubt it will. If you need Virtual surround you can just use Dolby headphone on the STX II and config windows and games correctly.

dolby headphone is crap as surround feature

Sep 30, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #373 of 888
  dolby headphone is crap as surround feature

Did you have it config correctly as in setting games windows and Asus's input to 5.1 with output set to headphones. Because if you do not Dolby headphone wont work correctly just like CMSS3D and SBX surround wont work correctly if you don't do the same thing. I have used Dolby headphone my self when I had the original STX and i found it did a good job as long it was set up like I mention, The DH modes I used depending on the headphone I had at the time with the card as the different modes worked differently based on the different headphones I had at the different time during the owning the card, Tho I found my self preferring SBX surround over dolby headphone, With CMSS3D headphone after SBX. But It's very important to have it set up correctly as if you had every thing set to stereo in windows  and in Asus control panel input speakers setting and output. Then of course Dolby headphone wont sound so good. Unless you did do all of that and still didn't like it then I guess it wasn't for you.  Because it is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to the different surround features as it wont please every one.

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #375 of 888
  dolby headphone create big amount of echo effects

There are 3 Different Dolby Headphone modes which you can select on the STX/2, DH1 is Ref and has nearly nil amount of echo, DH2 has Moderate Echo, while DH3 has Massive amount of echo, I used DH1 mode during my time with it for that reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back