ASUS Xonar Essence STU
Dec 21, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #91 of 101
Okay, so I downloaded JRiver to test it there. I can't get JRiver to work on ASIO at all, but with both WASAPI and KS I get the bit-perfect indication on my STU (I didn't in Foobar) and the sound starts immediately. My unit doesn't seem to like ASIO? Anyway, I've been happy with my STU and am even more happy with it now. 

Update: I've now downloaded and tried the AIMP software. ASIO, WASAPI, etc all work flawlessly. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #92 of 101
  Okay, so I downloaded JRiver to test it there. I can't get JRiver to work on ASIO at all, but with both WASAPI and KS I get the bit-perfect indication on my STU (I didn't in Foobar) and the sound starts immediately. My unit doesn't seem to like ASIO? Anyway, I've been happy with my STU and am even more happy with it now. 

Update: I've now downloaded and tried the AIMP software. ASIO, WASAPI, etc all work flawlessly. 

Glad it works now. That seems to point to the problem being caused by Foobar rather than the hardware itself. Sometimes you set everything right and it just doesn't want to work regardless. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #93 of 101
Thanks! I have a feeling it might be the old Foobar ASIO plugin not quite getting along with windows 8.1. I could be totally wrong though. I can't get over how incredible the STU has my music sounding. I have a Xonar Essence ST as well, but the STU seems to best it, as it probably should. Also, I had been using the Grado RA1 amp with my RS2i headphones for a couple of years and had been kind of disappointed with the overall sound. When I plug my RS2i's into the STU... watch out! I've found a new love for my Grado's. I can't imagine music sounding any more natural and real. :)

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #97 of 101
Does anyone know where I can find the Asus Xonar Esence STU in the San Diego, CA or  Chula Vista, CA area?
Thanks.

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #99 of 101
  Hello,
i want to use the Asus STU as a DAC only. Do i need to set the volume switch bypass or is it possible to use the preamp volume knobs to feed the signal to an amp ?

You would just leave the volume control all the way up. There's no specific bypass button or anything, but leaving volume on maximum means no attenuation, which is basically like not having the potentiometer in the system at all. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #100 of 101

You would just leave the volume control all the way up. There's no specific bypass button or anything, but leaving volume on maximum means no attenuation, which is basically like not having the potentiometer in the system at all. 

from asus.com product page: "Dedicated jumper switch allows direct audio delivery to your power amplifier, by-passing DAC volume controls"

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #101 of 101
I don't know why it's not explained in the STU user manual but it's in the "ASUS Xonar Essence STU Tweaking Kit" PDF: http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_STU/HelpDesk_Manual/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back