ASUS Xonar Essence STU
Oct 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #76 of 101
  Looks like ASUS announced a new unit called the Essence III, based on the STU form factor, but is now the new flagship of the Xonar Essence line --- DSD 64/128 playback, dual mono AD1955, different I/V buffers and amps (AD827, MUSES02, I'm assuming they're still rollable) into balanced/RCA outputs, revised power supply, and even a stepped attenuator for a volume control for (both!) headphone and DAC output.

Looks like a winner to me in terms of features/value for money --- as usual for ASUS, it uses premium parts all around, and it gets rid of the Essence One's boy-gamer looks for the more mature case of the STU.

I just hope it's not still using the C-Media CM6631 (actually, it needs to use the CM6632A for DSD support), as I'm not a fan of the fact that it doesn't play well with WASAPI (well, doesn't matter, because ASIO is necessary for DSD playback for Windows).

Press Release (only English one I could find): http://www.techpowerup.com/192647/asus-launches-essence-iii-preamplifier-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier.html

That looks beautiful.  Thanks for the news.

It certainly doesn't look like it will be a cheap device.  It will definitely cost more than the Muses most likely.  I hope ASUS will price this reasonably, unlike a lot of the so called "audiophile" companies that price their DACs more than people pay for cars.

Oct 17, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #77 of 101
I believe the pricing will be "real world". I get the vibe that they are trying to keep it somewhat close to the Essense One Muses Edition. I think it's unrealistic to expect the same pricing, but if they can keep it within a few hundred or so, that would be awesome. Then again, with the dual stepped attenuators and such, it might be hard to achieve. We'll see. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #80 of 101
I had this DAC for a couple of days. The main issue is that when listen to music via headphones , first 2 seconds of each track are missing; there are 2 seconds of noise and crack sound instead of music. It doesn't matter if I used laptop via USB, or Blu Ray via coaxial the same issue. This makes IMPOSSIBLE to use ASUS Xonar STU as a headphone amplifier.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #83 of 101
  I had this DAC for a couple of days. The main issue is that when listen to music via headphones , first 2 seconds of each track are missing; there are 2 seconds of noise and crack sound instead of music. It doesn't matter if I used laptop via USB, or Blu Ray via coaxial the same issue. This makes IMPOSSIBLE to use ASUS Xonar STU as a headphone amplifier.

Might want to list full system specs - I assume used with PC. Which OS and playback software? I have the unit here and have no such issue using either JRiver or Foobar for playback with the STU ASIO driver.

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #84 of 101
  Might want to list full system specs - I assume used with PC. Which OS and playback software? I have the unit here and have no such issue using either JRiver or Foobar for playback with the STU ASIO driver.

I used DELL Latitude laptop, regular WHQL Win7 drivers from Asus Xonar Essence STU (the only one avalable on ASUS support website) - no ASIO drivers avalable on boundle CD nor Asus www. Foobar2000 software, and latest Windows Media player. The same issue is with a stadalone blu ray player via coaxaial/optical connection.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #86 of 101

I'm having the same issue. I received my STU about a week ago. It sounds.... amazing!! I've got the first couple of seconds missing from each track as well though, but only when I pick tracks to play. If I let an album play through, there is no missing audio at the beginning of each track aside from the first one. If I skip around through a track, it takes it a couple of seconds to output audio again as well, even though the song is clearly playing. I'm using Windows 8.1 (64bit) with Foobar, ASIO and USB. Hmmm... 

The STU sounds amazing if anyone is curious. Hopefully there will be a fix for this minor issue. I'm still very happy with it. My Grado RS2i's have never sounded so good.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #87 of 101
Like project86 I have no problem on mine as well. It has been running just fine even since I got it. If it only happens on the first track of the whole album, it really points to a driver or Windows issue as it indicates the Windows and STU ain't sync properly.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #88 of 101
I've been playing around with it a little tonight. I re-installed the F/W and driver to no avail. I did notice though, that it only happens with the foobar ASIO driver selected. If I tell Foobar to output "DS: Speakers (Xonar Essence STU)" then there is no delay in music playback. However, I then lose bit-perfect playback. I'm getting closer to solving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back