ASUS Xonar Essence ST vs. CEntrance DACPort
Mar 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MarkM82

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody, this is my first post here.
About one year ago, after many internet searches, I bought an entry-level audiophile kit: the headphones in my avatar (AKG K601) and a used ASUS Xonar Essence ST. Low budget, anyway a good start, and I enjoyed them a lot... until I had to move for work! So I had to bring my K601 with me, and to buy another, portable, DAC/amp. I planned to buy a cheap DAC, and I went for the Creative X-Fi HD USB. Nice for the price, but not so powerful for my hungry headphones, especially for classical music 
frown.gif

Now I'd like to upgrade to a new DAC/amp, very portable, and replace both my current DACs (budget: about $300).
I read several reviews, and I think that CEntrance DACPort could fit my needs.

And here comes the subject of this post: did anybody try both the DACPort and the Xonar ST? Do you think I'll be disappointed of this upgrade? I found several comparisons with other DACs, but not with Xonar ST.

Let me tell you my priorities and tastes:
1. I listen to classical, metal/rock, pop, electronic (in this order of importance)
2. I like detailed and clean sound
3. Soundstage is very important to me: it has to be wide and airy (that's why I chose AKG and not a same budget Grado)

Another related question: what about an upgrade of my headphones? I read that, for example, K701 have a little wider soundstage than K601.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 7
You really need to do yourself a favor and try the AudioQuest DragonFly.  Phone wise I like the V-MODA M-100 but it is not for everyone, and I heard good things about the Sennheiser Momentum and Amperior too.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 7
I've read good things about Dragonfly too, but two things about DACPort made me prefer the latter: many say that it offers slightly better detail and soundstage, and also more power (my headphones need really a lot of power!), and DACPort seems to have a very good preamp (class A, they say).
About the headphones you talk about: surely they are good ones, but are you sure that closed (or semi-closed) are better for my needs? I don't need isolation, or heavy basses... just analitical, open sound.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I've read good things about Dragonfly too, but two things about DACPort made me prefer the latter: many say that it offers slightly better detail and soundstage, and also more power (my headphones need really a lot of power!), and DACPort seems to have a very good preamp (class A, they say).
About the headphones you talk about: surely they are good ones, but are you sure that closed (or semi-closed) are better for my needs? I don't need isolation, or heavy basses... just analitical, open sound.

I still think you will be better off with an external AMP/DAC in the long run.  The M-100 is (http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-100/) technically closed but has an open V-port on the side so it is not a 100%.  Some say it is a bit bass heavy but I personally don't think that's the case.  I never tried me Sennheiser myself so I can only rely on other people's reviews.  Also if you really like classical, then you really should try the Bowers & Wilkins P5 as I found that most B&W stuffs have very good trebles and mids, and their Society of Sound category is fill with classical (mostly from LSO and you can get them for free in both ALAC and FLAC!!).

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 7
I think i will stop "believe" other people impressions on forums when it comes to comparison.
Most of them don`t do A/B testing and they just guess: "ahhh.. it must be better".
No i`m really grateful when some one sharing their experience. BUT:
I had A/B testing with (HD650 and stereo) DacMagic PLUS optical vs Asus Xonar D2x analog out (now have ST) and can say DAC is a VERY little better, but not for 350£ comparing with sound card. Anyway, don`t trust me too!

JUST DO THAT:
As we all have spare £1000 most of the times, just damn buy CEntrance DACPort, some couple other, Arcam rpac DAC and/or even  AudioLab M-Dac.  
Buy as much as u want and can, and decide will you need DAC at all. I guessing if SOUND STAGE is very important to you, might be you find that DAC is better choice.
Can buy online or in store and TEST YOUR SELF. If you don`t like them all, bring back to store them all!!!!  It will cost you postage 20-30£ (in worst case scenario) and your experience will be huge and you can tell others what`s better and worth money or not!
(make sure they don`t apply re-stocking fees)
Sorry being arrogant, but that`s cheapest fastest and most accurate way to do.
That`s what i do now and found myself that Asus Xonar Essence ST and equalization advantage is enough for me and is my best friend for now.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 7
I think what you say is very wise, because that should be the best approach to find the perfect product, since it's very subjective, and it's also very hard to explain these details with words!

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 7
Well some one i`m sure could tell you, just yes, go for it! But when you pass 200£ component improvement level, simply is better to buy higher level headphones or speakers. 
Seriuosly, just buy and return, its easiest way. I`m sure u can find some local shops who can offer that to you, if not, online you ALWAYS  have 7 days return your item for ANY reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back