Asus Xonar DG + 250 ohm DT990 pro's ?
Feb 19, 2013 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

smodtactical

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a Asus Xonar DG in my desktop and I am thinking about getting the beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm model. I wanted to know how much quality loss I would have by using this relatively cheap sound card. I am just trying to save money and I don't want to spend another $100+ on a separate headphone amp.

I read the thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/587654/help-with-sound-card-to-go-along-with-beyerdynamic-dt770-dt990-pro

The thread starter recommended not using them but said they would work. Can anyone with this sound card comment on this further? 

Would buying a Fiio E6 and connecting it to the sound card and then to the headphones be at all useful?

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smodtactical /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would buying a Fiio E6 and connecting it to the sound card and then to the headphones be at all useful?

Probably not with those headphones. I would recommend trying the DT990 Pro with the Xonar DG, and decide it yourself whether it sounds good enough or not. The subjective opinions of others are often mixed and not very helpful.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 11
I have the DGX (same as DG, only with PCIE interface.) I just ordered DT990s (250ohm) and they'll be here Monday - if you can't find info anywhere else and don't mind waiting a few days, I'll let you know what I think of them with the DGX.

Personally, I think the DGX will be able to drive them to somewhat high volumes, but an amp will probably be needed. I also have a Schiit Magni and it's DAC companion, the Modi, on the way, which are both $100 each. I'm almost positive the Magni (or any decent amp) will be needed to drive the headphones to the high volumes I desire.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
I have the DGX (same as DG, only with PCIE interface.) I just ordered DT990s (250ohm) and they'll be here Monday - if you can't find info anywhere else and don't mind waiting a few days, I'll let you know what I think of them with the DGX.

Personally, I think the DGX will be able to drive them to somewhat high volumes, but an amp will probably be needed. I also have a Schiit Magni and it's DAC companion, the Modi, on the way, which are both $100 each. I'm almost positive the Magni (or any decent amp) will be needed to drive the headphones to the high volumes I desire.

Hey Axizor I would really love to hear your impressions. I'm sure though initially they won't sound good because they will need at least a day or two of burn in though. Nice that you got the amp and DAC, sure it will sound great with those.

I actually went ahead and pulled the trigger on the DT990 pro 250 ohm also and might get it this Friday. If I do I'll post my impressions of them but I don't even have my desktop where I am right now so it will only be really impressions on the build (I'll try to connect it to my laptop for fun but I know thats a pointless thing to do). 

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 11
Just wanted to add that I found a thread with a guy using the dt990 pro's 250 ohm with the asus xonar DG. He said he likes the sound but was still searching for an amp/dac since he wanted more bass.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609057/a-good-dac-amplifier-for-the-dt-990-pros

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 11
Got the DT990's, all I can say is WOW! First of all the build quality is absolutely insane. They feel like they will last a lifetime. The steel band is so strong and even though the ear cups are plastic I had to keep tapping them because they felt almost like steel. Its totally a rock solid build and puts my superlux 668B to shame.

The sound... lets just say my jaw was on the floor. I don't have an amp and am not at my place now that has my desktop so I just plugged them into my Asus laptop with its onboard realtek audio and the headphones sounded amazing out of box. They definitely put my superlux to shame. The thing I noticed over the superlux is the expansiveness of the sound (the big stage) and the beautiful clarity. Its so crisp and clean. The Bass is definitely there but I wouldn't say its a huge step up from the superlux in that regard.

If they can sound better than this with burn in and an amp that I am very excited.

Really happy with the purchase. Even though $200 is a lot for me to spend personally on a headphone its well worth it I think.

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks a lot, now my anxiety of waiting until Monday has gotten worse!!!

Hehe, that's awesome, glad to hear you pulled the trigger on those phones. I can't wait to hear them myself.

Thank you for posting your initial (and detailed) impression, I really appreciate it. I hear you on the price, I'm still trying to get over the amount of cash I've dropped on my little "bundle."

I'm sure they'll sound better when amped and burned in... Though I'm curious to see how much.

I'll check back in when mine arrive. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 11
No problem man. Believe me when I say, once you listen to them.... especially with your amp... you will say the money was WELL WORTH IT. Trust me. Theres no point in going through life without great quality experiences like this that do not cost a ton of money. I look forward to your impressions!

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 11
Today I tried the DT990 on my Asus Xonar DG card and all I can say is HOLY ****!! They sound 10x better than when I had them on my laptop. The sound has become incredible expansive (soundstage has grown), the bass has become tighter, cleaner and there is greater sub-bass and the sound is far more detailed than before... I am able to pick up so many subtle sounds in my music that I never heard before. I don't really appreciate the recessed mids at all (but maybe thats my untrained ear). 

Now its like listening to my music collection for the first time as I go through it and amazed by all the different genres I hear. 

I cannot imagine the sound getting any better than this with a dedicated DAC/AMP... if it does I will be in greater awe.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Now if you want to able to listen on your laptop with that good sound, save up for a FiiO E17. Then you can have the SQ when on the go :)

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Now if you want to able to listen on your laptop with that good sound, save up for a FiiO E17. Then you can have the SQ when on the go
smily_headphones1.gif

Well thing is after next month I will be in 1 spot with my desktop permanently so I won't rely on my laptop anymore so I don't really care about SQ on the go. But I appreciate your advice nonetheless. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back