Asus STX II Vs Creative ZXR
Nov 7, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #121 of 337
The problem with the stx,is that the pci-e bracket and the shield are sharing the same screw,and you wont be able to put the EMI shield back on,meaning you will will have problem attaching the pci bracket back on since the screw is to thin to hold only the bracket without the shield.
And the ZXR has better stereo seperation,way better.

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #122 of 337

Some asked me to try muses02 with the LT1028ACN,well,to my opinion,the Muses02 is NE5532 with lower noise,the sound just the same just cleaner.I would just skip Them,though they sound nice in some occasions,they,like most opamp's I've tried,just sound harsh and give the listener ear fatigue, at first they sound great,but become intolerable very quick.
Now all I need are some spacers so I might be able to fit the EMI shield back...:)

OH no 
frown.gif

This is Muses02 config right ?

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #123 of 337
for a cheap setup,JRC5532DD+LT1028ACN is the best I've found.

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #124 of 337
Since you tried a lot of combinations. What about Asus Xonar STX II? 
Are you still experiment on this also?
JRC5532DD + Muses 8920 would be a good combination?
SS3602 + Muses 8920 could be good? SS3602 does it fit with shield ?
Any other opinion?

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #125 of 337
Hi Raymond555,

Which of the two cards is better for Blu-ray movies 7.1 Channel Home Theater sound? I'll be using the Coaxial digital output to an Onkyo Receiver 7.1

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #126 of 337
  Hi Raymond555,

Which of the two cards is better for Blu-ray movies 7.1 Channel Home Theater sound? I'll be using the Coaxial digital output to an Onkyo Receiver 7.1

I'm actually currently doing this, except for 5.1.  I have not used the STX personally, but I have the ZXR.  The ZXR sounds absolutely amazing.  You won't get 7.1 out of either of these cards though.  The STX II 7.1 only has 5.1 over digital also.  Hopefully someone will respond back with a comparison between the 2, but I'm pretty sure with digital, the software will make more of a difference than hardware, and in that aspect, Creative is going to win.

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #127 of 337
  Hi Raymond555,

If your connecting a sound card to a A/V receiver, using S/PDIF (optical or coaxial).
A $50 sound card will work just as well as a $200 sound card.

S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) uses compression to send up to 6-channels of digital audio and the audio is maxed at 24-bit/48K.

For connecting to a A/V receiver, you better off using HDMI, as HDMI can pass up to 8-channels of 24-bit/192K digital audio, without compression.
HDMI totally bypass the computer's sound card.

I believe Cyberlinks Power DVD is limited to 16-bit/48K digital audio, so if your using PowerDVD, HDMI will not offer any better audio quality then S/PDIF.

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #128 of 337
  I'm actually currently doing this, except for 5.1.  I have not used the STX personally, but I have the ZXR.  The ZXR sounds absolutely amazing.  You won't get 7.1 out of either of these cards though.  The STX II 7.1 only has 5.1 over digital also.  Hopefully someone will respond back with a comparison between the 2, but I'm pretty sure with digital, the software will make more of a difference than hardware, and in that aspect, Creative is going to win.

ZXR for me sounds too unforgiving.
And SBX not sounds so good with speakers.

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #130 of 337
@trooper05
nothing at all,my motherboard is Asus Sabertooth Z77.
The problem I had with the STX,while using the SS3602,that I couldn't put the bracket back on, as it shares the same screw that holds the EMI shield.

Dec 28, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #131 of 337
Hi Raymond,

Thanks for this post. I was looking to learn about the two cards before buying but now have learned about op amps. I've never installed these or knew they could be switched. I don't understand the layout of your review, I am trying to see which setup is best for the ZxR (I'm a gamer). It seems the last combination for ZxR you mentioned, and crowned the best combination, is the SS3602 + LT1028ACN ? I will need to buy 2x of each is that correct? Thanks for your help.

Edit: did some more reading, and my mistake, i see you rec'd the 3601 and 3602. Bought 2 of each on ebay.. and seller accepts best offers. I offered 55 ea for the 3602s and he accepted within 20 minutes..working an order for 2x 3601 for $25 ea which he will probably accept as well.
Can't wait to test this setup for gaming. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #132 of 337
Thanks to @raymond555 for the recommendation of the SS3602 and SS3601 by Sparkos.

The install into my ZXR couldn't have been easier, though its unfortuante that the card now takes up two card slots in my tower.

Beware anyone working with limited space in your case. If your ZXR doesn't have much room between it and the next card, you may run into problems.

That said, these op amps REALLY mellow out the overly sharp sound of the stock ZXR's op amps. I tried them out in the following headphones, and am superbly happy with how all three sounded.

HiFiman HE-400
Fostex TH-X00 (these op amps really open up the soundstage on these cans. I thought they were a little too in head before, but now they sound absolutely perfect)
Phonak PFE 232 IEM.

Thanks again.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #133 of 337
@raymond555

Thanks a lot for the very valuable info of yours.

What would be the best possible op-ams replacement while fitting them into the emi shield on the ZxR?

Money is not an issue but I don't want to hassle with finding a store to cut a square on it.

PS: My priority is gaming. I rarely listen to music and watch movies. So I don't even know if SS3601 and SS3602 is the best choice.

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #134 of 337
@cucker
Gaming with music,with EMI shield on---JRC5532DD(I\V)+JRC5534DD(buffers)\ LT1028ACN(if you can find them) 

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #135 of 337
hi ray,

Been watching this thread and thanks for starting it.

Am currently burning in an SS3602 in my STX II in the buffer socket. I normally listen though the RCA line outs.
I also do some real time streaming.
I personally have not had an issue with running the STX II without the shield ( ran a double module OPA637 setup in the buffer before).

Btw, Andrew with Sparko's is a great guy.

Also anyone getting these remember to take off the protective sockets they are shipped with before installing.

Will have more thoughts in a couple of days.

Thanks again ray for the heads up on the opamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back