Asus STX II Vs Creative ZXR
Feb 24, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #136 of 337
I've been eyeing the Sparkos but the entry cost is a killer. It also doesn't help that the JRC5532DD are hard to come by and I don't trust the ebay dealers from Asia. Does anyone have a source on the JRC5532DD chips?

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #140 of 337
  I've been eyeing the Sparkos but the entry cost is a killer. It also doesn't help that the JRC5532DD are hard to come by and I don't trust the ebay dealers from Asia. Does anyone have a source on the JRC5532DD chips?

Same here; the Sparkos® SS3602 hybrid seems to have all monolithic IC's beat for the I-V.  Incidentally, Japan Radio Corporation uses the NJM5532DD designation for their version of the Signetics® NE5532, which I have under consideration for the line-level buffers on my STX.

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #141 of 337

Same here; the Sparkos® SS3602 hybrid seems to have all monolithic IC's beat for the I-V.  Incidentally, Japan Radio Corporation uses the NJM5532DD designation for their version of the Signetics® NE5532, which I have under consideration for the line-level buffers on my STX.

Hi bcschmerker4.

Why do you call the SS3602 a hybrid? Is a true discrete opamp.

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #142 of 337
Guess The Soundcard.....
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #143 of 337
  Guess The Soundcard.....
biggrin.gif

Powercolor Devil HDX sound card (with EMI shield removed).
http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_SoundCard_features.asp?id=1#Specification

Apr 20, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #144 of 337
Hello all and thank you in advance for your help. I know this is an older thread but it's a good one.

I currently have the stock ZXR>Darkvoice>HD800

I pulled the Darkvoice out of the mix, thinking that if the source is not the best quality possible anything in the middle would probably reduce it more. (Not sure if that's the right way to think about it) I got the Darkvoice as an experiment to see what a tube amp would offer. 

I mostly play Call of Duty (BO3 right now) and the sound is so good people routinely accuse me of cheating. Long story short, I'd love to increase the frequency of the hackusations.

I ONLY care about improving the sound quality of my headphones so which opamps do I replace? After reading this post end to end I'm still hazy which two (just 2 right) I need to change and what would be best for accomplishing my goal of improving the sound in games/sometimes music with the HD800.

The Sparko's intrigue me but which ones and are they the best choice? 

Then there was this:

Quote:
  @cucker
Gaming with music,with EMI shield on---JRC5532DD(I\V)+JRC5534DD(buffers)\ LT1028ACN(if you can find them) 

Do I have to get both the options listed above for headphone only? Or just one of the two chips listed? Are these a better option for gaming then the Sparko's OPAmps?

Apr 20, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #145 of 337

Hello all and thank you in advance for your help. I know this is an older thread but it's a good one.
I currently have the stock ZXR>Darkvoice>HD800
I pulled the Darkvoice out of the mix, thinking that if the source is not the best quality possible anything in the middle would probably reduce it more. (Not sure if that's the right way to think about it) I got the Darkvoice as an experiment to see what a tube amp would offer. 
I mostly play Call of Duty (BO3 right now) and the sound is so good people routinely accuse me of cheating. Long story short, I'd love to increase the frequency of the hackusations.
I ONLY care about improving the sound quality of my headphones so which op-amps do I replace? After reading this post end to end I'm still hazy which two (just 2 right) I need to change and what would be best for accomplishing my goal of improving the sound in games/sometimes music with the HD800.
Do I have to get both the options listed above for headphone only? Or just one of the two chips listed? Are these a better option for gaming then the Sparko's OPAmps?

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the SB-ZxR?
Was the Darkvoice connected to the SB-ZxR's headphone jack or Front Speaker jack?
I would assume the audio quality would at least be slightly better, with the SB-ZxR's Front Speaker jack, connected to the input on the Darkvoice.
(I know the SB-ZxR can not send SBX Headphone thru the Front speaker jack)

Apr 20, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #146 of 337
I connected from the headphone jack to the DV with a 1/4" to RCA cable.  Right now it's ZXR>HD800 though. The MOBO audio is disabled. What would it hurt if it weren't?

I don't think I lost much with the DV, but not sure I gained anything either. I have some more tubes on order and will play with it more soon.

I like SBX , I find it's very effective for me to improve my immersion and the simulated surround is amazing (for me) I've tried stereo but the drastic changes of sound from left to right seemed unnatural. 

As much as I like my current setup I always have that "There must be more I can do" feeling.

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #147 of 337
Hey Guys!
New Champ....Burson V5 discrete opamp!

Simply The Best,Very open,warm sound,analog,accurate,vocals sound great,everything...worth every penny!

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #148 of 337
Hello guys!

I was wondering if anyone can help deciding between these three sound cards STX vs STX II vs ZxR. I am a heavy user (over 6-8 hours on PC a day) and I want it to be able to drive the HD650 nicely. There are all in the same price range and I tried to read about each one but there aren't many threads comparing them (the ones I find usually mod them).

My main uses: Gaming - Shows/Movies/Anime - Music. 
Asus Rampage V is my motherboard.
Modding might be considered in the future.

I won't be using any speakers so keep that in mind and Thanks for your time!

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #149 of 337
Go for The ZXR
for a cheap start...just replace the buffers from the stock LME49710 to JRC(NOT TI) 5534DD

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #150 of 337
  Go for The ZXR
for a cheap start...just replace the buffers from the stock LME49710 to JRC(NOT TI) 5534DD

I have the money for decent upgrade. first of all where can I get these and what do they look like (sorry I am fairly new to this world). Secondly, is there a guide (preferably in video form) on how to install these since I will be doing it myself (can't seem to find one)?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Edit: After researching for a bit I have decided to take the ZxR out of contention due to large number of people having problems with the card shutting down and having to restart the power every now and then which I don't need.

Would you go for the STX or the STX II and what mods should I be looking for? Thanks for understanding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back