Asus Essence STX Channels question!
Jun 23, 2010 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Audioholic

Head-Fier
When I play games I play mostly in stereo, so how many channels in STX console do I need to enable for stereo? Manual says: for games and high quality movies enable 8 channels, for music 2 channels. But if I play with stereo headphones with stereo settings don't I need just two channels? If I enable 8 channels everything is much louder and I hear details better, but when there's big explosion I hear crackling noise in bass. What do I do?

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 11
[size=medium]When playing games in stereo, you can choose 2 Channels in Xonar Audio Center. About your second question, yes, you just need to choose “Headphone” mode under Analog out setting in your Xonar Audio Center. But please be noticed that Xonar Essence will emulate multi-channels surround sound with Dolby technologies embedded in. Tick Dolby Headphone and enjoy surround sound effect. [/size]

[size=medium]About the crackling noise in base, have you ever tried to lower down the sound output to check whether this still happens? [/size]

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 11

I have set mine up for headphones, DH is ticked, is it 2 channels or 8 for movies and games.?

Thank you.
smile.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 11
[size=medium]Dolby Headphone is algorithm which enables realistic 5.1 surround sound from any set of headphones. Ticking DH in your Xonar Essence STX audio center means virtual[size=small] 5.1 surround sound in your 2 channels headphone. [/size] [/size]

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 11
When you set the channels while using Dolby headphones it spreads the sound out, some headphones work great set like this, While others will work fine on 2 channel. When I was messing with it I usually set the channels to 5.1 because i find it works better for me on my headphones.

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
When you set the channels while using Dolby headphones it spreads the sound out, some headphones work great set like this, While others will work fine on 2 channel. When I was messing with it I usually set the channels to 5.1 because i find it works better for me on my headphones.

Ok ill set them to 6 channels then.

Thanks for the help.
smile.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 11
one more thing when your using it make sure you set Dolby headphones to DH1 as it works better, the other DH2 and 3 adds reverbs. DH1 doesnt. You dont want your game to have extra reverbs
wink.gif
unless you want that.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Thats great thanks Glen.

As my Beyer. DT660 cans dont require a headphone amp, would it be ok to plug them into the other slot for even better sound?

Cheers.

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 11
If you do that, you loose the option of using dobly headphones u thru the Xonar panel unless you dont care about that.

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 11
Oh ok. cheers mate.
smile.gif

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #11 of 11
Hi:
  Sorry for the hi-jack,but rather than start a new thread and since we are on this topic,  I am interested in upgrading my computer  internal sound with this Asus STX sound card and I read somewhere that the headphone out,lower settings on the computer(three settings for gain) works best with headphones between 250-300 ohms. My RP-21's are 32 ohms.Will they still sound fine with this card? Thanks,Huck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back