Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Aug 29, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #2,536 of 3,573
Yes, an added feature, a gimmicky or useful depends from point of view.
I agree with you, but there are also DSD recordings from analog masters, some from Grim ADC and some mixed with Sonoma.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #2,537 of 3,573
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DbKh77wSqPE&feature=plpp

Somewhere in this video. It's been a while since I watched it so can't remember the exact wording or where in the video it's mentioned
Awesome find buddy. If this is true, I hope they will improve the noise floor as stated earlier in the thread the Xonar ST PCI has the upper hand.

Quote:
They weren't meaning the STU were they?
STU was meant to fill in the gap between the Xonar Sound Card and the Essence One. It's definitely not a replacement for the XE1

Nice modifications.

It would of been nice if you were able to source the WIMA's all in FKP2, but i do know the 8200pF is a tough-y. I think i see a Kemet (sky blue) in there.
The DSP and every other chip does not need a heatsink. I've tested it myself and they run fairly cool.

How's the fine gold sound to you?
Do you like it?

Thanks Curse

I was able to source the 8200pF and the 22nF in FKP2 however they don't sit flush and physically don't fit. The blue Caps aren't Kemet, they are 8200pF WIMA FKS2 5% (picture below). The best solution recommended by my electronic lecturer was to bypass them both with 1000pF 2.5% WIMA they are soldered under the board. I'll take a picture when I'm free.

DSP didn't need the heatsink, I've only added it on as I had spare from a PC project and it look cool. Couldn't hurt with extra cooling right?

As for the fine gold. Absolutely love them. Don't notice sound change via DAC/XLR section. But the AMP section is more musical after the mod.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2,538 of 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Curse

I was able to source the 8200pF and the 22nF in FKP2 however they don't sit flush and physically don't fit. The blue Caps aren't Kemet, they are 8200pF WIMA FKS2 5% (picture below). The best solution recommended by my electronic lecturer was to bypass them both with 1000pF 2.5% WIMA they are soldered under the board. I'll take a picture when I'm free.

DSP didn't need the heatsink, I've only added it on as I had spare from a PC project and it look cool. Couldn't hurt with extra cooling right?

As for the fine gold. Absolutely love them. Don't notice sound change via DAC/XLR section. But the AMP section is more musical after the mod.

It is definitely more musical.
I noticed an improvement in bass extension/impact, sound separation, and more detailed mids.

I recommend to mount them on the bottom, however it may be somewhat difficult if you do not own a solder sucker tool.
Larger ones can go on top.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/xwxt6x9jsp0lbu2/7.JPG
http://www.mediafire.com/view/0ek68bcqr12fb1u/4.JPG

Lastly, i do not recommend you or anyone to use Elna Silmic II capacitors.
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6802/5sl0.jpg

They are very large and seem to only sound good with LME49710 (20) or MUSES01.

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2,539 of 3,573
I just picked up the Muses edition and was having a hard time figuring out if I got all the firmware right, can anyone tell me if I'm up to date with it now? Below is what I am getting?

Xonar Essence one Driver Version: 7.0.11.5

Xonar Essence One F/W Version: 1.27

Audio Chip F/W Version: 0111

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #2,540 of 3,573
Quote:
It is definitely more musical.
I noticed an improvement in bass extension/impact, sound separation, and more detailed mids.

I recommend to mount them on the bottom, however it may be somewhat difficult if you do not own a solder sucker tool.
Larger ones can go on top.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/xwxt6x9jsp0lbu2/7.JPG
http://www.mediafire.com/view/0ek68bcqr12fb1u/4.JPG

Lastly, i do not recommend you or anyone to use Elna Silmic II capacitors.
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6802/5sl0.jpg

They are very large and seem to only sound good with LME49710 (20) or MUSES01.

I used a solder bath I bought from aliexpress $20 buck delivered to desolder most of the caps. On the caps near the data cable I found it was the easiest with solder wick. I've seen those pic from cssarrow earlier in the thread. It gave me huge inspirations and was the main reason why I went ahead and did my mold. I also bought those exact caps but ended up not going that route as it didn't look as clean (caps didn't sit flush). So I ended up soldering ultra low tolerance wima bypass caps on the bottom of the 8200pF and the 22nF instead. Either way will yield awesome crazy ass SOUND. 

Totally agree, stick to Nichicon and WIMA caps. I'm sure ASUS knows best.

Anyone wanting to do the same mod. I can forward you all the detail where to get all the caps needed for the mod.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #2,541 of 3,573
I got some fake Muses01 which I decided to try out. So the config was 6x genuine Muses01 and 3x fake Muses01 in the unbalanced and balanced outputs going to my speakers and HDVD 800 inputs. I'm impressed by how bad the fake Muses01 were, as they basically ruined the sound completely. I guess that might sound a bit like exaggeration, but the balance of the sound was tilted in the wrong direction (less bass, less treble, more mids) and there was a noticeable decrease in clarity as everything suddenly sounded a bit muddy. The Xonar Essence Muses Edition was transformed from something that used to be better than the HDVD 800 dac into something that was much worse than the HDVD 800 dac. This little experiment showed me how just a couple components are capable of ruining an otherwise excellent formula.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #2,542 of 3,573
I got some fake Muses01 which I decided to try out. So the config was 6x genuine Muses01 and 3x fake Muses01 in the unbalanced and balanced outputs going to my speakers and HDVD 800 inputs. I'm impressed by how bad the fake Muses01 were, as they basically ruined the sound completely. I guess that might sound a bit like exaggeration, but the balance of the sound was tilted in the wrong direction (less bass, less treble, more mids) and there was a noticeable decrease in clarity as everything suddenly sounded a bit muddy. The Xonar Essence Muses Edition was transformed from something that used to be better than the HDVD 800 dac into something that was much worse than the HDVD 800 dac. This little experiment showed me how just a couple components are capable of ruining an otherwise excellent formula.

Without knowing the specifications of the fakes, its not surprising. Actually, you are probably lucky you didnt damage your E1...lol

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #2,543 of 3,573
Quote:

I am very sorry to hear that.

Where did you obtain these "fakes" and how did you find out there were what they were?
Perhaps the print on top of the op-amps gave it away?

Without knowing the specifications of the fakes, its not surprising. Actually, you are probably lucky you didnt damage your E1...lol

This.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2,544 of 3,573
The print on top was obviously fake, with the waves being straight lines and triangles, and the face had the wrong proportions. Even the paint itself was brown instead of white, so on first glance before studying the pattern it was clear something was off with them. I tried them first on a Xonar Essence STX which I don't use anymore to see if they would burn up, and then I put them in the Essence One for the actual listening tests.

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #2,545 of 3,573
Quote:
The print on top was obviously fake, with the waves being straight lines and triangles, and the face had the wrong proportions. Even the paint itself was brown instead of white, so on first glance before studying the pattern it was clear something was off with them. I tried them first on a Xonar Essence STX which I don't use anymore to see if they would burn up, and then I put them in the Essence One for the actual listening tests.

Ouch.

I'm guessing those were obtained on ebay? Would of asked for a refund or thrown them out in the garbage.
Right now i have 1 MUSES01 left from my previous modifications and i have no idea what to do with it.

I've tried the MUSES01 in the unbalanced/balanced outputs but they did not satisfy me as much as the 49990 did.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #2,546 of 3,573
Quote:
I'm guessing those were obtained on ebay?

Yep, from ebay. It's a bit annoying that the majority of listings there seem to be fakes. Only a couple appear to be legit, like the Audiotrak one selling them for 79$ each.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2,548 of 3,573
Quote:
Yep, from ebay. It's a bit annoying that the majority of listings there seem to be fakes. Only a couple appear to be legit, like the Audiotrak one selling them for 79$ each.

Well what do you expect? The cheapest any of the US companies can seem to get them is in quantities of 100 for $5000 from Digi-Key. So anyone who wants to front the $5k to make legitimate ones available has to come up with a good chunk of chance and then since that ONLY gets you them for $50 a pop if you hope to make any money off the investment after the shipping to people, sales tax to buy them, ebay and paypal fees you have to mark them up and then no one wants to buy them from you because they are "too expensive". I have thought about doing it myself, but Id have to sell them for at least $65 each or so to even make it worth the $5000 up front Id have to come up with. You know what I mean?

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #2,549 of 3,573
Just get them off those japanese websites at 3500yen a piece. You can be sure you are getting real ones without being ripped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back