Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Mar 21, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #1,816 of 3,573
Heya! Back from the Phils and my OPA2111 KP's & OPA2227 arrived!
Going to test them out right away.

What happend to your HE-500/HD-800 Tim?
rolleyes.gif

All the best!

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #1,817 of 3,573
Quote:
Yeah, it's broken, the metal ends flew off.
I see the same value for the left channel, so i'll get to measuring it in the morning, totally forgot about using a multi-meter.
This is why i like Head-Fi, thanks so much DMarasovic.

What do you think the size of the smd resistor is based on this picture:

Either get one on ebay, nearby radio shack, or just put a regular size 100ohm <1% in there.

Tim

It is not easy to estimate from picture - it seems to me about 2mm = 0805 size.
Try this table: http://tinyurl.com/bt2mwqd

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #1,818 of 3,573
Quote:
Heya! Back from the Phils and my OPA2111 KP's & OPA2227 arrived!
Going to test them out right away.

What happend to your HE-500/HD-800 Tim?
rolleyes.gif

All the best!

LCD-2 had me since day one.
Sold both of them, and making a 8 wire pure silver cable for my Audeze cans.
Only if i had money for an LCD-3....i would so cop for one.
Quote:

Yeah, i was also going to say it's 2mm = 0805.
Looks to be 2mm when holding it.
Thanks so much for the help! 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #1,819 of 3,573
Quote:
LCD-2 had me since day one.
Sold both of them, and making a 8 wire pure silver cable for my Audeze cans.
Only if i had money for an LCD-3....i would so cop for one.
Yeah, i was also going to say it's 2mm = 0805.
Looks to be 2mm when holding it.
Thanks so much for the help! 
evil_smiley.gif

Oh I see.
Yea, I was about to buy the LCD-3 there however my credit card had problems with any purchase above 2,000 USD.
But anyway, I'm planing to go there again (this year or next) but this time with a card suited for that kind of payment
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,821 of 3,573
LCD-3's are a great headphone no question, and when I started looking into audiophile HP they were at the top of my list for quite sometime, but when I finally had the funds to go out and buy them, in the same week I got a chance to listen to the Fostex TH900s and was just blown away by SQ and how much bass it had. Compared to the LCD-3s which I had my heart set on the final straw that tipped the scales was comfort. it wasn't price as they are pretty much the same in that regard, however I did end up getting them at a great price, but that was not why

More than likely I will end up with the LCDs its just a mater of time and of course funds

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #1,822 of 3,573
I have been reading the forum for some time, but this is my first post. So, hello everybody! :)

I have bought ASUS E1 about two months ago and have been happy since. It is plugged to my TEAC A-H500 amp, some DENON speakers and HD650. However, there was a silent buzzing sound when I cranked TEACs volume up past 10 o'clock. It did not change with DAC volume control or source change - buzzing was constant. What's more, upsampling gave another squealing sound. There was no buzz through DACs headphone out.

Yesterday I started investigating the problem by taking power section apart. First, I bypassed mains plug (and fuse), main switch and unscrewed the transformer. Did not help. Then I unscrewed power section transistors' radiators from the bigger "container" radiator. That did the trick! Buzzing and upsampling squeal were gone, but I could not leave it that way - I had the power section laying on my hand palm. So I connected back the transistors' radiators to the main underlying radiator and noticed that unscrewing two main radiator screws solved the problem (fortunately, the big radiator is both screwed and glued to the floor). I guess that the glue is a thermal adhesive so screws are not that necessary.

Why E1 had this buzzing sound (via RCA out) and why it is gone (after disconnecting 2 power section floor screws) is a mystery for me. Nevertheless, it is good now. :D

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,823 of 3,573
First Welcome to the forum Mikrobi
beerchug.gif

If I had to guess and this is only from my own experiences, I would say its a short, and by the sounds of it, because you don't have this problem with the HP jack the short could be from the equipment your plugging into the E1 transferring back "somehow" to the radiator screws.

Look it could very well be something else I'm just guesstimating

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #1,824 of 3,573
Quote:

Ended up being 100 ohm.
beerchug.gif
Little smaller than 2mm, more around 1-1.2mm, i'm thinking its a 0603 resistor.

Tim

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #1,825 of 3,573
Quote:
I have been reading the forum for some time, but this is my first post. So, hello everybody! :)
Why E1 had this buzzing sound (via RCA out) and why it is gone (after disconnecting 2 power section floor screws) is a mystery for me. Nevertheless, it is good now. :D

Welcome !
It could be a "Ground Loop" through other components. Did you try to rotate power plug (one by one - E1, Amp, PC ...) by 180 degrees ? Try to push socketed IC's, maybe there is a bad contact.

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #1,826 of 3,573
Quote:
Welcome !
It could be a "Ground Loop" through other components. Did you try to rotate power plug (one by one - E1, Amp, PC ...) by 180 degrees ? Try to push socketed IC's, maybe there is a bad contact.

I have been trying E1 with another amp (Yamaha RX-797) in another room, from two other wall sockets with other interconnects but the problem remained. Even with no source connected - only E1 + amp + headphones. Unscrewing those 2 radiator floor screws solved it. It was interesting to rotate them in with the screwdriver while listening to buzzing sound gradually increasing. I would put the picture pointing those screws here, but I can’t ("There was a problem submitting this to the server. Please try again" - maybe because I am a freshman here).

I hope that leaving E1 this way will not jeopardize temperature flow from the radiators. For the last two days E1 chassis seemed to be getting warm as much as before the 2-screws-solution.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #1,828 of 3,573
Quote:
Yes, I tried the HE400 and the W1000x, which both sounded fine. The Momentums sounded fine on other DACs.

That's a bugger Limniscate, I'm not sure what the problem could be, maybe someone else on the thread may know or if ASUSXONAR could give a response would be great.

Quote:
Has anyone tried this DAC with the Sennheiser Momentums?  When I tried them, it sounded horrible.  There's some sort of incompatibility.

Hopefully we can get some answers for you

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #1,829 of 3,573
ipod earphones are working fine for me with the Essence One (with 1/4 adapter of course).

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #1,830 of 3,573
Really enjoying the OPA2227's from BurrBrown in the I/V. Great punchy bass & soundstage and almost no fatiguing "sss" in the highs.
And since I'm not using the LME49990's anymore, no more overheating/oscillating (afaik).
I'll use them in conjunction with DIP-8 adapters so I can replace them easily (thanks to Tim for the ebay seller's link). No more bending of pins, easily replaceable just using my fingers.
biggrin.gif

I've also tested the OPA2111 KP in the I/V. I find them to be a bit too bright sounding (still evaluating). However, they do just fine in the buffer. I just prefer the AD797BR's for their warm, analog sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back