Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,426 of 3,573
Since we are on the subject of OPA2132 my opamps finally arrived, they must of gotten or something, friend sent them a month ago.

Anyhow I got
2x OPA2107
4x OPA2132
2x LM4562
4x LME49722

The OPA2132, LM4562 and LME49722 are a surface mount package on DIP adapters, I'm just a bit unsure about the OPA2132U what does the U stand for and are they safe to use? Although I have been using them in this combination of 4 OPA2132 I/V and 2 LM4562 they seem to be working fine just thought I check with you guys though

Coming from the standard E1 edition I'm quite surprised at the vast improvement in SQ, I was thinking it would improve a little, not this much,  I can never go back to flabby bass no detail NE5532.  The detail in this op combo is just amazing so articulate with a tighter denser bass, however it is a tad bright not painfully like having ice picks in your ears, just a little unnatural to my ears through the Fostex TH900, not that the TH900s are natural sounding, far from it, it's brighter then the NE5523. Also asus say this opamp combo is "slightly cool" I didn't at all find them less warm, but could be on other HP's like the HD800.

Overall I'm very happy with the SQ, and now want to tryout the muses, rather then buying a better DAC :)

Cheers,
~Steve

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #1,427 of 3,573
Thanks alot for your input Steve.
Glad to hear that you enjoy your new opamps! Let us know what you think about the other opamps and combos.
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #1,428 of 3,573
After dissecting my E1... i got this feeling that the intended gain jumper should be located here.... as there is a blank white box near to the headphone volume pot.

Can anyone confirm this? :)

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #1,429 of 3,573
Quote:

Turokrocks -  congrats on your new purchase!! i meant finally it has arrived for you...haha... enjoy.

When you have a moment, is it alright if you open it up and show us the gain jumper since its not in your manual as well.

TIA :)

Thanks....I also have to change the gain, and will take some pictures, just been over my head between work and personal matters.

I only got 6-7 hours on it!!..you believe it..
mad.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #1,430 of 3,573
Quote:
Just to clarify, on my E1 it is only present when you move the knob without any audio playing. However it still indicates that the opamp is not happy being there.

I can confirm that I hear the same buzz, noise quitely in the background and when moving the volume knob.
However, this issue only applies if I use USB. When using digital out via toslink from my soundcard (as I always do) everything is fine, zero noise. (I/V: LME49990 ; LPF,Buffer: AD797BR

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #1,431 of 3,573
Quote:
I can confirm that I hear the same buzz, noise quitely in the background and when moving the volume knob.
However, this issue only applies if I use USB. When using digital out via toslink from my soundcard (as I always do) everything is fine, zero noise. (I/V: LME49990 ; LPF,Buffer: AD797BR

Thanks for bringing this matter up.

In your own experience, did you find any difference between the Toslink and USB? and what is the max rate you are able to get with Toslink?

I am asking as I will be getting the creative ZXR (its a beast on its own, just when it available to be bought) and would like to connect it to my E1.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #1,432 of 3,573
I found Coxial to be better, however being on the PC most of the time, USB is my 2nd, yet most used option.

Tim

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #1,433 of 3,573
Quote:
Thanks....I also have to change the gain, and will take some pictures, just been over my head between work and personal matters.

I only got 6-7 hours on it!!..you believe it..
mad.gif

Oh man... that's a waste.... quickly pacify your woman and get back to real business!

You got a truckload of guys here waiting for your dissecting.... haha
deadhorse.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #1,434 of 3,573
Quote:
After dissecting my E1... i got this feeling that the intended gain jumper should be located here.... as there is a blank white box near to the headphone volume pot.

Can anyone confirm this? :)

I see the same thing on my Essence One.

Tim

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #1,435 of 3,573
Quote:
I found Coxial to be better, however being on the PC most of the time, USB is my 2nd, yet most used option.

Tim

I need a good Coxial cable, you know where I can get one?
confused.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #1,438 of 3,573
Quote:
Thanks for bringing this matter up.

In your own experience, did you find any difference between the Toslink and USB? and what is the max rate you are able to get with Toslink?

I am asking as I will be getting the creative ZXR (its a beast on its own, just when it available to be bought) and would like to connect it to my E1.

I can hear no loss in quality with toslink. I'm using my trusty X-Fi, which gives me some nifty DSP tweaks like EQ, virtual surround (e.g. for gaming) and I can listen to my playtation 3 through the E1->HP and/or my 5.1 speakers simultaneously without me needing to recable anything.
And yes, thats why I would like to upgrade to a ZxR aswell
rolleyes.gif

Hmm.. I think that buzzing noise, if using USB, comes from the pc motherboard. I think it has something to do with the higher end opamps starting to pick up the noise from there.

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #1,439 of 3,573
Quote:
I can hear no loss in quality with toslink. I'm using my trusty X-Fi, which gives me some nifty DSP tweaks like EQ, virtual surround (e.g. for gaming) and I can listen to my playtation 3 through the E1->HP and/or my 5.1 speakers simultaneously without me needing to recable anything.
And yes, thats why I would like to upgrade to a ZxR aswell
rolleyes.gif

Hmm.. I think that buzzing noise, if using USB, comes from the pc motherboard. I think it has something to do with the higher end opamps starting to pick up the noise from there.

What!!!??
Creative is recalling ZxR cards?: http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=699322

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #1,440 of 3,573

Users who are viewing this thread

Back