Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Aug 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #916 of 3,573
Quote:
It has arrived!
Man its heavy, both in terms of weight of the unit and bass reproduction.  However its for now very unimpressive in terms of sound quality and basically everything apart from the build quality. Running it with Foobar and Asio trough bit-perfect mode, and I'd say its not as good as the ST, not even the head amp has more power than the ST, my DT880's get louder out the ST. The sound clarity is just not there. Everything sounds small, congested and muddy. Might be because its still new, but apart from the great build quality, I'd not pay more than 100$ for this thing. Good thing I can return within 8 days. Tomorrow I'll go to the store and compare it with Teac UD-H01, but as far as I remember, it sounded much better than Asus. It left me stunned by how good the DT880's sound, while with Asus they literally sound like...well, crap.  Honestly, DT880's plugged into 8 year old Philips FW-M567 mini stereo system sound as good if not better, and go just as loud without distortion, I'm not joking. At the moment I am HUGELY disappointed by this thing.

Just to add, I'm the most disappointed by the head amp section. Obviously "made for 600 Ohm headphone" is just a marketing gimmick.  It can't even run the 600 Ohm Beyers to comfortably loud level, let alone very loud.  Over 12 o'clock there's no increase in volume either.  Difference between the knob being at 12 o'clock and all the way to the end is like 4-5 decibels, virtually no increase in loudness.

I've had it on maxed out volumes everywhere on PC, and on the knob in the front for the last 30 minutes, and still haven't played a single song that had me wanting for more loudness.

I think there must be some problem with your E1. With DT880 600 Ohm on E1 I usually set the headphone knob at 11 o'clock, DT1350 on 9 o'clock.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #917 of 3,573
Quote:
Good morning people,
I bought one of these and try to update the device no longer works.
The LEDs are lit and I can not use the front buttons to restart the upgrade process again.
Does anyone know how to do a reset on the device without using the front buttons "AND MUTE upsampling"?
I also can not detect the USB device to update.
My Windows 7 Pro x64, detects the device and the ASIO driver appears just right but you can not make atuaização.
Please help me.
Thank you.

You'll most likely have to RMA it. Firmware updates of the XEO tend to brick it.

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #919 of 3,573
After opening the box, I plugged in the USB port on the XEO PC.

I inserted the installation CD and installed the driver.

I accessed the site "Asus" and downloaded the update tool "MCU" as the file needed for the upgrade.

After that, I did the update successfully.

When I hung up and called again, all LEDs were lit.

The driver "ASIO" is appearing in the system and can use as audio output but the players are not playing any audio boxes and not the "headphone" and buttons "Upsampling and mute" are disabled.

I managed to update the firmware of the "USB" but even so the device does not work and can not make the sequel "Upsampling + Mute + Power" to try to update the firmware "MCU" again.

Does it have any reset pin inside the XEO?

Sorry for the English by Google Translate.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #921 of 3,573
Quote:

I accessed the site "Asus" and downloaded the update tool "MCU" as the file needed for the upgrade.

The driver "ASIO" is appearing in the system and can use as audio output but the players are not playing any audio boxes and not the "headphone" and buttons "Upsampling and mute" are disabled.

I managed to update the firmware of the "USB" but even so the device does not work and can not make the sequel "Upsampling + Mute + Power" to try to update the firmware "MCU" again.

You might have to RMA it. This is a common behaviour of the XEO.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #924 of 3,573
Quote:

Did you reboot the computer?  You must reboot or the updates won't take affect.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #925 of 3,573
Quote:
I am using DT 770 pro 250 ohm and normal listening is at 9 o'clock. With old DT 880 Studio 600 ohm (the same sensitivity as yours) about the same listening level is at 12 o'clock.
I like to listen pretty loud, and there is no lack of power at 600 ohms.

Agreed, I'm also using the DT 880 600 ohms at around 11/12 o'clock with no issues.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #926 of 3,573
Quote:
Agreed, I'm also using the DT 880 600 ohms at around 11/12 o'clock with no issues.

I have no clue whatsoever how you guys get a decent volume at 11-12 o'clock. I had my DT880's cranked up at max. at all times and still found it lacking volume with the E1. All settings were at max. It gave me almost no volume at all at 12 o'clock with the 600ohm Beyers. My unit must have been broken or something then...

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #928 of 3,573
Quote:
Did you have the (digital) volume turned down somewhere on the PC ? Did you listen to some very quiet music with wide dynamic range ?

No, as I said everything was on max. All volume settings maxed out.  Volume was fine with other headphones. With Ultrasone HFi2400 I didn't have to go past 10 o'clock, but with Beyers, E1 was useless. That's why I'm surprised to see people say they use it at 12 o'clock, because the unit I had was barely audible at that volume level, and was at comfortable listening level (on normal recordings) at max. volume. I listened to music on my DT880 for 2 hours at max. volume, just random playlist, and not one song that played was too loud, in fact most were too silent. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #929 of 3,573
I just got free Op-Amp samples from TI, is there any difference between OPA2132P and OPA2132PA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back