Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Aug 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #901 of 3,573
Is it normal that the unit gets pretty hot after some time? 

Aug 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #902 of 3,573
Something is very wrong, I received mine from newegg Friday and I love it, While the STX is a nice sound card it is truly no match. I have owned the STX for 4 or so years and it is no contest when compared to the E1.
Iam matching mine with a pair of Senn HD700 and it sound incredible, in fact it has warmed the SS exactly the way i hoped it would.

The STX doesn't have the level of separation and detail and i also find that it is noisy vs the one, but it maybe my ears so far I have played it through an Integra DPS 7.2 transport and ITunes thru lossless files, and again both sound terrific.

Also I have left the one burn in for 2 days straight without a listen and it never got hot. Something is wrong with your unit if its getting hot or something in the chain is not right.
Sorry to hear your not liking it but VS the STX sound card to me it really is no contest. I will try and post pics soon.

Aug 7, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #903 of 3,573
Quote:
Something is very wrong, I received mine from newegg Friday and I love it, While the STX is a nice sound card it is truly no match. I have owned the STX for 4 or so years and it is no contest when compared to the E1.
Iam matching mine with a pair of Senn HD700 and it sound incredible, in fact it has warmed the SS exactly the way i hoped it would.
The STX doesn't have the level of separation and detail and i also find that it is noisy vs the one, but it maybe my ears so far I have played it through an Integra DPS 7.2 transport and ITunes thru lossless files, and again both sound terrific.
Also I have left the one burn in for 2 days straight without a listen and it never got hot. Something is wrong with your unit if its getting hot or something in the chain is not right.
Sorry to hear your not liking it but VS the STX sound card to me it really is no contest. I will try and post pics soon.

Yea but the thing is HD700 is very easy to drive, while DT880's are extremely hard to drive.  There's just no juice in the amp to make the headphones sound nice.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #904 of 3,573
I got mind a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic right out of the box.  Updated the firmware, driver, and USB and added the asio driver and it is better than fantastic.  Will try some opamp rolls but almost afraid to mess with it.  Just saw Asus is coming out with a new version and the only thing new is that it comes with a couple of upgraded opamps to roll along with the stock opamps.

Aug 8, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #905 of 3,573
Quote:
I got mind a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic right out of the box.  Updated the firmware, driver, and USB and added the asio driver and it is better than fantastic.  Will try some opamp rolls but almost afraid to mess with it.  Just saw Asus is coming out with a new version and the only thing new is that it comes with a couple of upgraded opamps to roll along with the stock opamps.

The issue is lack of power. I'm sure it would sound better with some easier to run headphones of same caliber, currently I only have my DT880's with me.  But with DT880's it has so little power that it cannot sound good or be even adequately loud. It's totally underpowered. Honestly I'd be surprised if it can output 40 mW into a 600 Ohm load, while DT880's need 100 mW.

So, for anyone with 600 Ohm headphones, this is useless as an amp, despite it saying it can run 600 Ohm headphones.  Yea, it can, the same way an Iphone can run HD800's.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #906 of 3,573
Quote:
The issue is lack of power. I'm sure it would sound better with some easier to run headphones of same caliber, currently I only have my DT880's with me.  But with DT880's it has so little power that it cannot sound good or be even adequately loud. It's totally underpowered. Honestly I'd be surprised if it can output 40 mW into a 600 Ohm load, while DT880's need 100 mW.

So, for anyone with 600 Ohm headphones, this is useless as an amp, despite it saying it can run 600 Ohm headphones.  Yea, it can, the same way an Iphone can run HD800's.

You unit is faulty, Xonar One is more powerfull than ST or STX, install newest drivers, update the firmware, there is something wrong with your unit. My findings are exactly opposite, Xonar One is MILES better than ST or STX, I don't even own one, but reviewed it some time ago and I was pretty impressed.
LE: I' ve listened to Xonar One with LCD-2, HD800 and T1

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #907 of 3,573
Quote:
You unit is faulty, Xonar One is more powerfull than ST or STX, install newest drivers, update the firmware, there is something wrong with your unit. My findings are exactly opposite, Xonar One is MILES better than ST or STX, I don't even own one, but reviewed it some time ago and I was pretty impressed.
LE: I' ve listened to Xonar One with LCD-2, HD800 and T1

It is (was) definitely not faulty. Today it was tested by the service guy at the store with some cheaper headphones, and it worked perfectly fine. It just doesn't work with 600 Ohm headphones well, at least the DT880's. Just not enough power to get them to a decent volume, and not enough authority when powering them.

Anyway, after trying out many devices today head to head (spent over 2 hours in the store because I wanted absolute best I could find), including the Essence One, Teac UD-H01 and CA Dac Magic Plus, as well as many stereo receivers and integrated amps,  I replaced the E1 for a Onkyo A-5VL integrated speaker amplifier/dac with dual 24/192 burr brown DAC's inside, one for each channel.  Its a beautiful looking unit that makes the other three devices look and feel like cheap toys,  and it weighs 23 pounds. It cost me 400$ on discount, so a bit less than Teac at 500$, and a lot less than CA and E1 which are both ~750$. 

Why did I pick it? Honestly? It blew all of them away in terms of value for money and listening experience.  It just sounds more open, smooth, more solid and more powerful. The power of the headphone output is in a completely different league compared to any of these dedicated solutions, when its at 40% of volume, its louder than any of the other three on max volume, and still sounds nicer, with no distortion at all. Plenty of headroom with DT880's. DAC chips inside are one of the top of the line from Burr Brown, but I'm not sure which exactly, and frankly I don't care. They might not be the most high end DAC chips inside, but it doesn't matter, as a package, Onkyo still sounds better than those more expensive dedicated DAC/headamps.   This device just rendered any soundcard, any headphone amp and any DAC I ever owned or currently own, useless. It does so much, so well, for so little money.  It even ran Kef Q900 floorstanders pretty well, although its more suited for bookshelfs obviously. 

However, its the headphone output that is great. I was told by the "tech guy" in the store that because its a completely digital and unique design, the output impedance on the phone jack is not the classic 120-250 Ohms as found on other speaker amps and receivers, but its in fact very low. Not as low as most dedicated head amps, but its still much lower than usual integrated amps, and low enough to have more than enough damping factor with 250-600 Ohm headphones.    Also, the good thing is,  there are treble and bass knobs, which work extremely well with headphone output (again, unlike any other integrated amp), and they're perfect for DT880's, as I can dial down the treble (10khz) a bit, and push up the bass (100 hz) a bit and get that perfect sound. Get rid of sibilance and 10k spike on DT880's and add a bit more bass punch. All of that is done in a very good fashion, without nasty distortions or ruining the sound.   With bass / treble knobs in normal position, amps is very neutral, with great detail and great extension in both directions.

But, the bad side of this unique design is that speaker outputs are a bit less powerful and "dynamic" sounding that other "pure" amps at that price range, but who cares right, it still has enough power for bookshelf speakers (2x 40w @ 8ohms), its a great DAC, a great headphone amp, and can be a pre-amp as well.  It also comes with a remote (which is a huge plus for me),  has amazing built quality (each knob and button feels great to use, gives the sense of solidity and quality).  Honestly, E1, Dacmagic and UD-H01 were silly next to it, I thought to myself:  "I'd have to be completely mad to buy any of them instead of the Onkyo".  This thing is the new benchmark of value for money for me.

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #908 of 3,573
I am thinking of upgrading the opamp for the RCA jacks as I am running the E1 into a dedicated headphone amp.  I haven't been able to find much on reccoed upgrades for this path.

Can anyone make a suggestion, I like the OPA2111 for the headphone out but that's not the config I am running.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Will

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #910 of 3,573
Quote:
It has arrived!
Man its heavy, both in terms of weight of the unit and bass reproduction.  However its for now very unimpressive in terms of sound quality and basically everything apart from the build quality. Running it with Foobar and Asio trough bit-perfect mode, and I'd say its not as good as the ST, not even the head amp has more power than the ST, my DT880's get louder out the ST. The sound clarity is just not there. Everything sounds small, congested and muddy. Might be because its still new, but apart from the great build quality, I'd not pay more than 100$ for this thing. Good thing I can return within 8 days. Tomorrow I'll go to the store and compare it with Teac UD-H01, but as far as I remember, it sounded much better than Asus. It left me stunned by how good the DT880's sound, while with Asus they literally sound like...well, crap.  Honestly, DT880's plugged into 8 year old Philips FW-M567 mini stereo system sound as good if not better, and go just as loud without distortion, I'm not joking. At the moment I am HUGELY disappointed by this thing.

Just to add, I'm the most disappointed by the head amp section. Obviously "made for 600 Ohm headphone" is just a marketing gimmick.  It can't even run the 600 Ohm Beyers to comfortably loud level, let alone very loud.  Over 12 o'clock there's no increase in volume either.  Difference between the knob being at 12 o'clock and all the way to the end is like 4-5 decibels, virtually no increase in loudness.

I've had it on maxed out volumes everywhere on PC, and on the knob in the front for the last 30 minutes, and still haven't played a single song that had me wanting for more loudness.

I am using DT 770 pro 250 ohm and normal listening is at 9 o'clock. With old DT 880 Studio 600 ohm (the same sensitivity as yours) about the same listening level is at 12 o'clock.
I like to listen pretty loud, and there is no lack of power at 600 ohms.

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #912 of 3,573
Good morning people,
I bought one of these and try to update the device no longer works.
The LEDs are lit and I can not use the front buttons to restart the upgrade process again.
Does anyone know how to do a reset on the device without using the front buttons "AND MUTE upsampling"?
I also can not detect the USB device to update.
My Windows 7 Pro x64, detects the device and the ASIO driver appears just right but you can not make atuaização.
Please help me.
Thank you.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #914 of 3,573
Install what? Drivers I mean it's hard to know what you mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back