Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Oct 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #3,061 of 3,573
Mach3 did you change all the capacitors in your E1 or was it someone else? Anyway if you indeed changed them did it affect the sound much? If I decide to keep my Muses I will probably do some mods to my E1 just because its fun :D I'm also thinking about replacing the A10k pot with better quality pot.

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #3,062 of 3,573
  Guys, I really need to order some Muses01 op-amps from a reliable source, and one that I can read (English language), any help is appreciated.

I looked at ebay, and I don't trust any!

And also the "Essence One DSD Upgrade Kit", is it up for sale? where?!!

DSD Kit upgrade link (Part number 90YB00CB-M0UC10)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUSTOR-Soundkarte-ASUS-Xonar-ESSENCE-ONE-DSD-Upgrade-Kit-Sched-90YB00CB-M0UC10-/390933233931?pt=Schede_audio_per_PC_e_Server&hash=item5b056fc10b

As for english site for genuine MUSES01 digikey or mouser

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #3,063 of 3,573
  Guys, I really need to order some Muses01 op-amps from a reliable source, and one that I can read (English language), any help is appreciated.

I looked at ebay, and I don't trust any!

And also the "Essence One DSD Upgrade Kit", is it up for sale? where?!!

How many are you planning on buying and where you planning on placing them? (Headphone buffer)

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #3,064 of 3,573

How many are you planning on buying and where you planning on placing them? (Headphone buffer)

Yes, 2.

Do you think I should change also the others?

Will that make a difference? I mean a big difference...

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #3,065 of 3,573
  Mach3 did you change all the capacitors in your E1 or was it someone else? Anyway if you indeed changed them did it affect the sound much? If I decide to keep my Muses I will probably do some mods to my E1 just because its fun :D I'm also thinking about replacing the A10k pot with better quality pot.

Yeah I changed all the caps to higher quality cap with better tolerance. Check page 163, upgrade heatsink thermalpad, upgrade power supply caps to Panasonic FR 10000 hours low ESR. check 169 for full caps upgrade. If you use all the parts I suggest. Everything will work well and fit perfectly.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #3,066 of 3,573
  Yes, 2.

Do you think I should change also the others?

Will that make a difference? I mean a big difference...

Replacing the stock with the MUSES01, I've notice it more forgiving with brighter headphones. Soundstage and clarity still there but more dynamic and lively. Unit doesn't heat up as much as my stock opamp either, not that it was hot to begin with.

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #3,067 of 3,573
Just like to mention I've got some request for group buy of the MUSES01. PM if you're interested. Actual purchase won't be until 4 week time from now. I've got at 3 people that are keen to buy 6x each. It's about $42 USD each

Not sure if this is allowed to be posted here. So I hope I'm not breaking any rules. Just wanna help  some head fi member get the good stuff for their Essence One.

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #3,068 of 3,573
Hi there,

I currently have a Asus Essence STXII sound card upgraded with 3x (genuine) MUSES01. Have to say it does sound really good but I am wondering how much better would the Asus Essence One Muses edition be compared to my STXII with muses01?

I was thinking if I ever did go for Asus Essence One Muses edition I can put my Muses01 in the Essence one plus that would mean I only need 2 more to max it out. 

I'd love to know!

:)

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #3,069 of 3,573
  Hi there,

I currently have a Asus Essence STXII sound card upgraded with 3x (genuine) MUSES01. Have to say it does sound really good but I am wondering how much better would the Asus Essence One Muses edition be compared to my STXII with muses01?

I was thinking if I ever did go for Asus Essence One Muses edition I can put my Muses01 in the Essence one plus that would mean I only need 2 more to max it out. 

I'd love to know!

:)

I'm pretty sure it would sound better and different. You dont need to max out your muses if you are not using rca and balanced outputs.

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #3,070 of 3,573
Hi guys, I'm a happy (currently) owner of the XE1 but just got to ask the community a question.

Recently I've been trying op-amp combinations but I don't have an oscilloscope and I was just wondering whether this op-amp combination is safe! Op amps LPF & I/V get quite warm to touch but XLR out is only very slightly warm. All of these chips are unity-gain stable.

I/V: Muses8920 x4
LPF: Muses8920 x2
XLR output: Muses8820 x2

With this combination I feel the XLR out is smooth but far more detailed than stock configuration.

If someone has used this combination or know whether it's safe of not please let me know!!

Thanks,

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #3,071 of 3,573
  Hi guys, I'm a happy (currently) owner of the XE1 but just got to ask the community a question.

Recently I've been trying op-amp combinations but I don't have an oscilloscope and I was just wondering whether this op-amp combination is safe! Op amps LPF & I/V get quite warm to touch but XLR out is only very slightly warm. All of these chips are unity-gain stable.

I/V: Muses8920 x4
LPF: Muses8920 x2
XLR output: Muses8820 x2

With this combination I feel the XLR out is smooth but far more detailed than stock configuration.

If someone has used this combination or know whether it's safe of not please let me know!!

Thanks,

Welcome too Head-fi Audiophial,

Should be fine, they do get hot which isn't a problem. The new Muses8920 looks quite interesting, and going by your description they must sound similar too muses01 but probably better.

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #3,072 of 3,573
Hi Gandah and thanks for the welcome!,

Yeah the MUSES8920 in I/V and LPF sound very much like what is described of the MUSES01 edition, however it is a little sibilant (just the tiniest bit), swapping the LM4562's with MUSES8820's (Basically binned MUSES02's) trade a little bit of that massive Sound-stage (only width, depth seems the same) for less splashyness in the highs which is nice for bright HP's.

I also tried with MUSES8920 at buffer and MUSES8820 at LPF but prefer the overall tighter and better defined bass with the 8920 at LPF. I'd say this combination is a warmer tilt than the MUSES edition without losing detail so I feel music is quite rich and immersive.

The reason why I was asking whether it was safe is because the 8820 is a bipolar chip with a much lower slew rate than the 8920, that won't be a problem if the slower chip is in the place of buffer right? The 8820 should still have more than enough to slew 192khz at 2vrms if my understanding of slew rate is correct... Since it's a much slower opa than the LM4562 hopefully I'm safe as far as stability in that socket is concerned right? :) 

Thanks,

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #3,073 of 3,573
  Hi Gandah and thanks for the welcome!,

Yeah the MUSES8920 in I/V and LPF sound very much like what is described of the MUSES01 edition, however it is a little sibilant (just the tiniest bit), swapping the LM4562's with MUSES8820's (Basically binned MUSES02's) trade a little bit of that massive Sound-stage (only width, depth seems the same) for less splashyness in the highs which is nice for bright HP's.

I also tried with MUSES8920 at buffer and MUSES8820 at LPF but prefer the overall tighter and better defined bass with the 8920 at LPF. I'd say this combination is a warmer tilt than the MUSES edition without losing detail so I feel music is quite rich and immersive.

The reason why I was asking whether it was safe is because the 8820 is a bipolar chip with a much lower slew rate than the 8920, that won't be a problem if the slower chip is in the place of buffer right? The 8820 should still have more than enough to slew 192khz at 2vrms if my understanding of slew rate is correct... Since it's a much slower opa than the LM4562 hopefully I'm safe as far as stability in that socket is concerned right? :) 

Thanks,

Should be fine, but I never bothered replacing the XLR op's because its not where most of the change comes from, its mainly I/V and LPF where the change happens.

Sibilant, what phones are you using?

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #3,074 of 3,573
Currently using HD800's so it emphasises the SSS noise that comes with some combinations with this amp/dac. Using the Muses8820 in this position seems to make the treble both softer and more detailed as well. 

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #3,075 of 3,573
  Currently using HD800's so it emphasises the SSS noise that comes with some combinations with this amp/dac. Using the Muses8820 in this position seems to make the treble both softer and more detailed as well. 

The HD800 is one of the hardest headphones to driver properly, very source and amp picky, so if your only getting a tiny bit of sibilant than your doing quite well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back