Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Nov 30, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #3,076 of 3,573
  The HD800 is one of the hardest headphones to driver properly, very source and amp picky, so if your only getting a tiny bit of sibilant than your doing quite well

I have to say...I have the HD800, Asus Essence ONE muses edition, and a Lake People G100 headphone amp and it is glorious.

One of the really surprising facets as that almost all sibilance is completely gone. I don't know how that is possible but this combo sounds really nice.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #3,077 of 3,573
Hey guys. I have my Essence One (original) since March 2012 and relatively recently I've started noticing that it has started buzzing / humming constantly. I can't pinpoint the time when that happened and unfortunately it's quite noticeable. It happens irrespective whether anything is playing or not - the unit just has to be powered on. Though, no issues with the sound itself.
Do you know what could be the cause and how could it be fixed? It seems that the noise comes from the place where electrical cable is plugged in, i.e., power supply.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #3,078 of 3,573
  Hey guys. I have my Essence One (original) since March 2012 and relatively recently I've started noticing that it has started buzzing / humming constantly. I can't pinpoint the time when that happened and unfortunately it's quite noticeable. It happens irrespective whether anything is playing or not - the unit just has to be powered on. Though, no issues with the sound itself.
Do you know what could be the cause and how could it be fixed? It seems that the noise comes from the place where electrical cable is plugged in, i.e., power supply.

It could be interference from outer electro-magnetic field. Try to move electrical products that are near (bluetooth and wireless units and mobile phone etc.), as well as E-One itself  and observe changes. Open E-One, push opamps to sit well in sockets, check internal connections. Try to replace power supply cable. If analog outputs are connected to amp or similar, the problem could be there (ground loop ?).

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #3,079 of 3,573
I have used my muses almost every day I got it with hd800 phones. I dont know if its break in or what, but sound of that amplifier does change after some time. There is no sibilance when you listen proper quality music on muses with hd800. Amplifier seems to sound noticably better when it runs hot ( I keep some stuff on it sometimes :D).

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #3,080 of 3,573

Sounds like a ground loop problem, you can test this by powering on the E1 and having nothing else plugged into it only headphones, if buzz is still present it's not a ground loop problem, the unit maybe damaged, but if the buzz isn't present it's a ground loop problem..

You can fix it many ways be buying something like this http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html
            Or
The easy way is by plugging your source eg:- PC into a different outlet on a different circuit which will eliminate the buzz

Good luck, let us know how you go....

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #3,081 of 3,573
Hi

I am long time Head Fier, actualy, very long time, but mostly reading..

Now I need advice. I got new essence one and while looking for tweaks and opamps I find out that my PCB has gain jumper post which are hardwire, Question is , is it possible to make it work by just cuting the wire and soldering the pins.
Another thing, as I did lot of read in this thread, it came out, for me and my LCD-X that best combination will be LM4562NA x4 and MUSES02 x2 which I just did orderd.
I did lot of comparing, and combination of factory installed opamps on my EOne is as per specification for Eone MKII here
Here is image of my PCB

Thanks for advices-comments

Gipsy

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #3,082 of 3,573
  Hi

Now I need advice. I got new essence one and while looking for tweaks and opamps I find out that my PCB has gain jumper post which are hardwire, Question is , is it possible to make it work by just cuting the wire and soldering the pins.
Another thing, as I did lot of read in this thread, it came out, for me and my LCD-X that best combination will be LM4562NA x4 and MUSES02 x2 which I just did orderd.
I did lot of comparing, and combination of factory installed opamps on my EOne is as per specification for Eone MKII here
Here is image of my PCB

Gipsy

Hi Gipsy

I don't have hardwired gain jumpers but as long as those LLo and RLo go where they should go in the pcb you can just cut the wires and solder new wires on those spots I think.

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #3,084 of 3,573

It could be interference from outer electro-magnetic field. Try to move electrical products that are near (bluetooth and wireless units and mobile phone etc.), as well as E-One itself  and observe changes. Open E-One, push opamps to sit well in sockets, check internal connections. Try to replace power supply cable. If analog outputs are connected to amp or similar, the problem could be there (ground loop ?).

Sounds like a ground loop problem, you can test this by powering on the E1 and having nothing else plugged into it only headphones, if buzz is still present it's not a ground loop problem, the unit maybe damaged, but if the buzz isn't present it's a ground loop problem..

You can fix it many ways be buying something like this http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html
            Or
The easy way is by plugging your source eg:- PC into a different outlet on a different circuit which will eliminate the buzz

Good luck, let us know how you go....

Thanks, guys! I'll try your suggestions out.

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #3,085 of 3,573
Hi

Here is image of my PCB

Gipsy

You can desolder the wire and solder on jumper pins you will have the muses edition PCB

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #3,087 of 3,573
  Hi Mach3

Glad to have you here. Can you advice if it will be possible to instal miniature toggle switch to be able to change the gain without opening the case??
Any idea on exact miniature toggle switch configuration??

Thanks

What you need after de-soldering the two wire bridge, is to solder on some straight pin strips. They come in long strip like the photo below, but you can cut them to size with a sharp knife and scissor.
After that you can certainly hook up dip switches to the pins.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #3,089 of 3,573
  Thanks Mach3

Do you have a link where to get it??
I was thinking tu put something like this toggle switch
on the back of the case, above USB connector,,,just, I am not sure if it will be possible to find DPDT toggle switch, for my needs,  which will be even smaller and easyer to fit..

Thanks in advance

gipsy

Gipsy,
I am sceptical about that operation because those jumpers are probably in signal path or negative reaction path of IC. It's wires should be short and laid as designed. It would be possible to make what you want by soldering miniature relays as close as possible to jumper pins and operate them by toggle switch via DC voltage. I am shure that you do not want to downgrade premium product such as E1 is.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #3,090 of 3,573
Yes, I neither want to downgrade it, nor brick it...even it is really tempting to look on premade posts for jumpers...when I know that my Cosmic Ears CE6E are about to be finished any time soon.
I had little conversation with Jimmy from junkyard..and he is as well suggesting not to play with jumpers without tracing the PCB to be sure!!
That is out of my actual skill at the moment, I'll leave it as it is for now.
Did order some muses01 and muses02, should be here in Croatia tomorrow, to play with, to feed overclocking hunger.

Please advice on op amp configuration...I have:
4x MUSES01
2x MUSES02
5xLME49720NA 
2x OPA2132PA
7x LM4562
6xNE5532

So far, without muses1 x 4 , i am on
4xlme49720NA + 2x muses01 with my LCD-X.
Bass is less pronounced and less havy than with 5532..but else sound better.

Thanks in advance

Gipsy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back