Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 7, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #2,898 of 3,573
Asus Essence One Muses is a legend!

I have tried a lot of DACs below $1000 and over $1000 and the Muses is still my favorite.

Next one on my list that I would like to listen to sometime this year is the Antelope Audio Zodiac+.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #2,900 of 3,573
The E1 has been absolutely wonderful with my headphones. HD800, T1, & TH-900. Especially the fact that the E1 has a great low frequency output, when combined with the HD800, which is a bright & bass light headphone. It does a great job of evening out the bass, mostly notable in the sub-bass. My recently purchased TH-900 is bass monster so a little EQ adjustment is needed to fit my needs, but maybe its due to my ears being use to the brighter HD800 & T1.
Quote:
  Any reason why windows 8 update wants me to download Asus Essence STU drivers for my E1?

Win 8 is still buggy to this date with many programs. Frankly i wouldnt update any peripheral device per Windows advice. Only off the peripheral's manufactures website directly.

Was the frequency cut off from upsampling issue ever fixed?

Upsampling is really a useless feature, at least for me. This amp/dac paired with some high-end HPs, a person would want to be playing high def lossless tracks with a purest source as possible. Upsampling is really meant to smooth out low def sources, which would still be low res when smoothed out with upsampling.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #2,901 of 3,573

Upsampling is really a useless feature, at least for me. This amp/dac paired with some high-end HPs, a person would want to be playing high def lossless tracks with a purest source as possible. Upsampling is really meant to smooth out low def sources, which would still be low res when smoothed out with upsampling.

I agree with that practical thought, but it's the principle that matters just as much. Technically this problem shouldn't be happening. There are much cheaper devices that upsample without limiting the frequency range. So it's not like it's a real technical limitation. So it's expected that a $500+ wouldn't have this problem. There isn't even an explanation as far as I know. Sometime earlier last year someone on this forum from Asus mentioned a firmware update but I don't know if it ever materialized. I don't have the DAC yet so I'm just getting ready for it. I'll be replacing a Teac UD-H01.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2,902 of 3,573

I agree with that practical though, but it's the principle that matters just as much. Technically this problem shouldn't be happening. There are much cheaper devices that upsample without limiting the frequency range. So it's not like it's a real technical limitation. So it's expected that a $500+ wouldn't have this problem. There isn't even an explanation as far as I know. Sometime earlier last year someone on this forum from Asus mentioned a firmware update but I don't know if it ever materialized. I don't have the DAC yet so I'm just getting ready for it. I'll be replacing a Teac UD-H01.

Didnt like the Teac UH-H01 huh?

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #2,903 of 3,573

Didnt like the Teac UH-H01 huh?

The Teac UD-H01 is great I think it gets a bad wrap because it's earlier drivers are busted but it I was impressed by the build and sound quality. But it was my very first high end DAC, and I would like to try other things too. I just got a great deal on a Essence One on eBay so I took a chance with it. If  I don't like the Essence One I'd definitely go back to the Teac though I'd get the newer DSD version since I have the extra money now. (gotta love tax returns
normal_smile .gif
 )

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2,904 of 3,573
The Teac UD-H01 is great I think it gets a bad wrap because it's earlier drivers are busted but it I was impressed by the build and sound quality. But it was my very first high end DAC, and I would like to try other things too. I just got a great deal on a Essence One on eBay so I took a chance with it. If  I don't like the Essence One I'd definitely go back to the Teac though I'd get the newer DSD version since I have the extra money now. (gotta love tax returns
normal_smile%20.gif
 )
Congrats on the E1. I really haven't payed attention to any upsampling updates. I did look at Asus firmware notes right now and it does not mention it. What headphone are you going to pair the E1 with?

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #2,905 of 3,573
Congrats on the E1. I really haven't payed attention to any upsampling updates. I did look at Asus firmware notes right now and it does not mention it. What headphone are you going to pair the E1 with?

I don't consider it a deal breaker, but I can see it as a minor annoyance. I'm going to pair with a pair of Beyerdynamic T90.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2,906 of 3,573
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does the E1 support wasapi output?

I've been using foobar with ASIO but I get frequent BSODs with "irql_not_less_or_equal" messages. Furthermore, audible pops when starting or stopping a song and a clear delay (1 second) when moving the song position through the timer bar. I'm actually scared to move through the song as it will almost certainly cause a blue screen after a few position changes. I'm wondering if wasapi will make it better.

If not, should I increase the buffer length? Decrease it? Also, should i be checking the "use 64-bit asio drivers" option in the output menu, seeing as I'm on Windows 7 64-bit? Run with high access priority or will that make it worse?

**** me, digital playback is a pain in the ASS. I just want to listen to my flacs :frowning2: . Can someone help clear this up? After unifying my iTunes and VLC media player libraries in foobar this is the last thing I wanted to have to deal with. ****.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #2,907 of 3,573
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does the E1 support wasapi output?

I've been using foobar with ASIO but I get frequent BSODs with "irql_not_less_or_equal" messages. Furthermore, audible pops when starting or stopping a song and a clear delay (1 second) when moving the song position through the timer bar. I'm actually scared to move through the song as it will almost certainly cause a blue screen after a few position changes. I'm wondering if wasapi will make it better.

If not, should I increase the buffer length? Decrease it? Also, should i be checking the "use 64-bit asio drivers" option in the output menu, seeing as I'm on Windows 7 64-bit? Run with high access priority or will that make it worse?

**** me, digital playback is a pain in the ASS. I just want to listen to my flacs :frowning2: . Can someone help clear this up? After unifying my iTunes and VLC media player libraries in foobar this is the last thing I wanted to have to deal with. ****.

I don't have my E1 yet, but I can recommend checking a few things.
First, under Windows sound properties - Playback Device - Advanced tab, do you have Exclusive Mode enabled?
I use ASIO4All to manage my ASIO driver, I change nothing except the Buffer bar at the bottom to the maximum.

Other tips, are to make sure Foobar2000, .Net Framework, and all drivers are up to date.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #2,908 of 3,573
Hey Compfy. Im running my E1 with Foobar & AISO after you gave me the DL link and havent had any problems. TJMax suggestions are a good start. Also are you possitive its Foobar? Have you had zero bsod prior to installing it? "Irql_not_less_or_equal" can be caused by a number of hardware devices, its driver, or related software.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #2,909 of 3,573
I don't have my E1 yet, but I can recommend checking a few things.
First, under Windows sound properties - Playback Device - Advanced tab, do you have Exclusive Mode enabled?
I use ASIO4All to manage my ASIO driver, I change nothing except the Buffer bar at the bottom to the maximum.

Other tips, are to make sure Foobar2000, .Net Framework, and all drivers are up to date.

Thanks for the reply TJ Max. Yes, exclusive mode enabled.
I use the regular ASIO driver. Is ASIO4ALL the same? I've heard of it and read that it can help some issues where regular ASIO driver is causing problems. I've also read sound quality is inferior with ASIO4ALL. Is it not a user-made ASIO driver for PCs that don't support the regular one for some reason?
Anyway, as per your recommendation, I set a larger buffer length. However, my BSODs seem to be the result of RAM usage. I worry that reserving more RAM for foobar will only exacerbate the problem. Maxing the buffer length seems to make no change in the crackles/pops when selecting songs and changing the time position of the track. These are still there

Hey Comfy. Im running my E1 with Foobar & AISO after you gave me the DL link and havent had any problems. TJMax suggestions are a good start. Also are you possitive its Foobar? Have you had zero bsod prior to installing it? "Irql_not_less_or_equal" can be caused by a number of hardware devices, its driver, or related software.

That's good to hear. Do you notice crackles/pops when selecting songs or changing their position in the progress bar? And a noticeable delay, too? I sure do. I just brushed it off as a consequence of ASIO but is this supposed to happen?

And yes, I'm nearly 100% positive it's foobar. Had no BSODs whatsoever until installing it and using the bit perfect feature. The last one was a result of stopping the song being played and opening a youtube video. As soon as the youtube video sound was sent to the E1 (while foobar was still open), I heard a subtle crackle/pop and the BSOD occured.

Can you share what drivers and firmware you have at the moment for your E1?

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #2,910 of 3,573
Im on driver version 8.0.11.6, Firmware version 1.27. And on Win8. I havent updated my firmware yet. Now that you mention it i did notice a pop when starting a song only(not ending) in Foobar once or twice, but extremely rare. And i have not noticed any lag or delays when moving the song position through the timer bar, but i rarley do that so i can check it again when im at home.

Oh and i havent setup bit-perfect yet. Im still just running 24/192.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back