Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Jan 17, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #2,866 of 3,573
Hi.
I have two questions regarding the e1...
How does it perform on Mac and Osx? Does it have all functionality?

For the same price or cheaper, is there a better option of DAC, and headphone amp combo?

Cheers!

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #2,867 of 3,573
Hi.
I have two questions regarding the e1...
How does it perform on Mac and Osx? Does it have all functionality?

For the same price or cheaper, is there a better option of DAC, and headphone amp combo?

Cheers!

From memory e1 sounded the same on both OSX and win7, however win7 needs drivers and ASIO, where OSX is more plug-&-play.

For a better option? that depends on what version of E1 your referring too, for standard edition it's on par with a bunch of dac's around that price range, Plus edition is slightly better with more options but I don't think plus edition is worth the money, Muses Edition is definitely the better of the three, however Standard edition upgraded to muses edition is the better option for SQ, and works out cheaper

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #2,868 of 3,573

From memory e1 sounded the same on both OSX and win7, however win7 needs drivers and ASIO, where OSX is more plug-&-play.

For a better option? that depends on what version of E1 your referring too, for standard edition it's on par with a bunch of dac's around that price range, Plus edition is slightly better with more options but I don't think plus edition is worth the money, Muses Edition is definitely the better of the three, however Standard edition upgraded to muses edition is the better option for SQ, and works out cheaper

Hi.
I am relatively new to this world.
Could you point a few options around the price range like you mentioned?

Thanks! :)

Jan 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #2,870 of 3,573
I just ordered another 4 muses-01 from mouser electronics.com. Should have them late next week to complete the transformation of my E1 standard into a full fledged Muses unit can't wait.

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #2,872 of 3,573
  WHOA!? Youre buying those from Mouser at $75 a piece?! LINK

Uhm no, I did not, I paid $65.00 ea.

They allowed me to negotiate the price down some. But more importantly they are the real deal Muses-01, Mouser is an authorized reseller for NJR/JRC. So if you want to buy the Real Muses then this is the right place, if you want to take a risk with the endless pages of eBay resellers who are selling knock offs go right ahead.
By the way these opamps change the SQ of this Amp/DAC to the next level.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #2,873 of 3,573

I confirm, +1.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #2,874 of 3,573
  WHOA!? Youre buying those from Mouser at a piece?! LINK

Please update us with your finding.
I would like to see how much difference would changing the whole opamps to Muses, make.

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #2,876 of 3,573
You mean Dionysus's findings right? Im not buying those things. In fact my ASUS E1 is up for sale.

Just curious Ben what's with the, I'm not buying those things? Are you not happy with your E1? Are you unhappy with how much the opamps are? I mean I don't understand any of the comments you left on this thread. In other words I'm trying to get the point of the comment you left on this thread?

Jan 23, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #2,878 of 3,573
I wouldn't trust anything on eBay, way too many fakes out there,but that's just me.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #2,879 of 3,573
Just curious Ben what's with the, I'm not buying those things? Are you not happy with your E1? Are you unhappy with how much the opamps are? I mean I don't understand any of the comments you left on this thread. In other words I'm trying to get the point of the comment you left on this thread?

E1 sounds good to me though I do not like the headphone amp at all so Im selling it to go with a dedicated DAC. I just think the MUSES01 are ridiculously overpriced. They're WAY overpriced at $40 a piece, and for any more than that they are just silly. There might be more expensive ones, but I dont know of any other op amps going for those prices, even the ones used in much higher priced DACs. So whats so special about MUSES? Probably nothing to actually justify the cost. Its probably just the illusion that since the buyer paid so dang much for them they MUST sound better. But alas, since I wont be buying them, I guess Ill never know for sure. Ill just rack it up with all the other gear I have bought only only to find very little difference if any and then half the time its JUST different, not better, or worse, just different.

Didnt mean to "go off", but you asked for clarification :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back