Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Jan 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #1,066 of 3,573
Quote:
I would say it's worth it if your music genre is more focused on vocals and instruments.
For  music listeners like me who prefer the upbeat hip hop and pop songs, the HE-400 does better, HOWEVER, sometimes i like to hear the vocals more forward and separated, which is where the HE-500 comes in. Thus when i want to have fun flare, i'll use the HE-400 and when i feel less energetic i'll grab the HE-500. That is why i chose to own both. instead of selling one off.

The HE-400 comes very close to the HE-500 when you're using a high quality wire. The bass and treble Improves greatly, so you're getting the best of both worlds.

The HE-400 is already bass heavy, so with the stock cheap $1 op amp (NE5532) the bass is very boomy and harsh when using the HE-400. I'm pretty sure they were made to be swapped out right away, or for those computer gamers who knows nothing and think that sound quality requires a "fat" bass and nothing more. This boomy bass helps add a little more realism in games, specifically for gunfires and bomb sounds. I've found that the running sound, closing a vehicle door, etc sounds extremely fake with the NE5532.

Muses has already been launched, if you go back 3-6 pages, one of the ASUS members gave a buying like, you'll also noticed that i recommend buying the Original Essence One and Muses01's separately as it is cheaper. Grab the MUSES Edition if you ever feel as though you'll be using In Ear Earphones with them, the MUSES Edition has a gain switch so it will not out blast IEM's.

Tim

Thanks for the reply.

I also have a wide taste in music so I'm still no closer to a decision as far as HE-400 vs HE-500 is concerned lol

I'm really tempted to get the Essence One and then upgrade the op-amps to Muses01's but I do have some IEM's so having the gain switch might actually come in handy.

Really hope they will soon give a UK release date for the Muses Edition, hopefully it will be around the same priced as in the US and not inflated for the UK market.

On cables for the HE-400 do you have any recommendations.

BTW I did read this whole thread and other threads on the HE's so I'm on information overload
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #1,067 of 3,573
Well i hope they're not so expensive for you.

Since you have IEM's, then going the MUSES Edition route will be more worthwhile.

As for the cables, i've given you a pm.

Tim

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #1,070 of 3,573
What are some cheap op amps that you guys recommend that would help improve the sound quality of the E1. I have the original version when it was first released. 

I don't want to spend the amount of money on Muses 01 as I have seen they cost $50/ea ?

Unless you guys have a website that sells it for cheaper. 

But yeah, if there are any recommendations for replacing the original op amps, i would love to hear it.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #1,071 of 3,573
Quote:
What are some cheap op amps that you guys recommend that would help improve the sound quality of the E1. I have the original version when it was first released. 

I don't want to spend the amount of money on Muses 01 as I have seen they cost $50/ea ?

Unless you guys have a website that sells it for cheaper. 

But yeah, if there are any recommendations for replacing the original op amps, i would love to hear it.

There's none cheaper than $50, if you do find them cheaper, then they're fake.

I recommend the OPA2132 and LME49720HA, 2x LME49710HA on Adapters would be even better.

I've tried the OPA627 and AD797, both a pretty good. Everything else i didn't find to my liking as much.

As of now i only use MUSES01 and LME49710HA's.
Switching out Power Supply Capacitor with Panasonic FC, and Nichicon KT with KA.

Will post pictures once im done along with summary of improves (if any).

Tim

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #1,072 of 3,573
A cheap way for tuning is to get free samples from texas instruments, for example the 2107 i/v and the 2132 buffer should already be an improvement over the stock one-s and you can get it for free. You can get the opa 1612 for the buffer for smoother highs. If you want to know more about the free sample thing you can write me a PM because it would be too off topic here.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #1,073 of 3,573
Does the Essence One have a line-out? I am planning on purchasing a RX MK3-B portable amp from ALO, as a start to building my portable rig which will also include a CLAS -dB. For the time being though, can I take out the signal from the E1, using it as a DAC only, and use the RX as a better external headphone amplifier than the one that's already provided in the E1?

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #1,076 of 3,573
Quote:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MUSES01/MUSES01-ND/2202385

They only have 1 left now, the last time i checked they had 19.

Ebay sells them but a tad more expensive, if you get 6 on ebay, it's $23.02 more. (That's if considering that digikey ships for $9.69 with a 9.75% tax)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320862379536?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I got mine off ebay and received it in 2 days even though it's from China. I've verified that it's genuine.

Use the same driver as the standard Essence One.
The only difference between the two is the MUSES01 op amps and gain switcher for IEM Earphones.

After updating, it should look a little like this:

didn't need them super ASAP or anything, it's just it felt too delayed so i ended up making my own as i needed to finish the review.

They sound good, i like them over the LME49720. Their graphs also measure better which is a uber awesome.
When using the 49710HA's on loud speaker volumes, there's a slight difference, i can't fully pin point the area of sound that it improves, but i know fully, that it's there. I must have swapped out between the two at least 30 times. On headphones (mainly the HE-500), there's 3x as much difference than on the RCA Output which is also running the 49710HA's over the LME4562.

Once i grasp fully it's improved areas, i'll let everyone know!
gs1000.gif

Tim

I can't get the F/W update to 1.27 to connect.   When I originally got my E1 I did a firmware update and it worked fine.  I updated the audio chip and USB without a problem but can't get the 1.27 to connect..it tries to connect for a minute or so and then quits saying it can't connect.  The motherboard USB's are 1.1/2.0 and worked previously with the first update.   I am running AD797BR's in 1/V and 4720HA's everywhere else... (great opamp combo by the way) would that be the problem?  Haven't done any cap upgrades or bypassing but will do that next.   Welcome any ideas to get my E1 firmware to 1.27 ...  Currently my info screen is as above except 1.25 F/W instead of 1.27.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #1,077 of 3,573
Quote:
I can't get the F/W update to 1.27 to connect.   When I originally got my E1 I did a firmware update and it worked fine.  I updated the audio chip and USB without a problem but can't get the 1.27 to connect..it tries to connect for a minute or so and then quits saying it can't connect.  The motherboard USB's are 1.1/2.0 and worked previously with the first update.   I am running AD797BR's in 1/V and 4720HA's everywhere else... (great opamp combo by the way) would that be the problem?  Haven't done any cap upgrades or bypassing but will do that next.   Welcome any ideas to get my E1 firmware to 1.27 ...  Currently my info screen is as above except 1.25 F/W instead of 1.27.

You mean 49720HA? I don't see why that would be a problem as AD797 is in the I/V which i found to be the best spot for it. anywhere else should be bypassed.

Did you download the install tool along with the firmware? there should be a install pdf/guide that tells you, you must press and hold upsampling & mute at the same time until the light flashes three times and turns solid. Afterwards you will try and connect to the Essence One where it will then show "connected"

I was stuck on this as it wouldn't connect after 10 tries. I uninstalled/reinstalled the driver, unplugged/replugged the usb cable and it then connected.

Give it a try.

Tim

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #1,078 of 3,573
Quote:
I was switching my LME49710HA's, put them on the ground, and the family dog took them somewhere without me knowing.

That is one ninja dog. Using LM4562's now while i look for them, if not, i have to re-buy/re-make. hopefully he doesn't chew on them.

Just got done replacing thermal paste on the heatsinks and made a better 6 pin cable with litz flat braid as i had some time to kill.

Right now, im deciding on which capacitors to replace on the Essence One with.

Surely the RCA's will be replaced with two Elna Silmic II (RFS). (Can't replace all with Elna as they are too large)
Power Supply capacitors with be replaced with Panasonic FM. (FR > FM > FC)
For every other capacitor on the board, im deciding between Nichicon KZ and KA.

The Nichicon "KA" has less leak current than the stock Nichicon "KT". KA also is more high grade and has better materials for sound.
However it's the same size as the KT which is rather small (she no likey).

Capacitors:
14x  220uF 35V (2x = Elna Silmic II | 12x = ?)
4x    47uF 25V
11x  100uF 35V
1x    100uF 16V (replace Sanyo chip type capacitor)

Update: Nichicon KZ case diameter is too large, 12.5mm. Same size with Elna Silmic II so i can't use either of them.
Need something at around 10mm diameter for 220uF 35V.

Might go for the Elna Silmic II or Cerafine, even through they're 12.5mm, i'll just make the lead's longer and bend it in.

Tim

Hey there, you recommended specific op amps to me before but I was wondering exactly where you had placed them on the circuit board. If its not too much to ask, could you possible show where you put each one with arrows.Thank you!

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #1,079 of 3,573
Quote:
You mean 49720HA? I don't see why that would be a problem as AD797 is in the I/V which i found to be the best spot for it. anywhere else should be bypassed.

Did you download the install tool along with the firmware? there should be a install pdf/guide that tells you, you must press and hold upsampling & mute at the same time until the light flashes three times and turns solid. Afterwards you will try and connect to the Essence One where it will then show "connected"

I was stuck on this as it wouldn't connect after 10 tries. I uninstalled/reinstalled the driver, unplugged/replugged the usb cable and it then connected.

Give it a try.

Tim

Yes I did mean 49720HA, sorry typo.   I tried at least a dozen times to get it to update....changed USB's, redownloaded the update, different times of day, etc.  Nothing works to get it to connect.  I am following the update instructions to the letter .... which I did for the very first update when I first got the unit but that update was done with the original OEM opamps.   Was hoping that might be the problem.   I'll try a few more times and may even go back to OEM configuration to see what that does.  Thanks for the reply.
John

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,080 of 3,573
Quote:
Yes I did mean 49720HA, sorry typo.   I tried at least a dozen times to get it to update....changed USB's, redownloaded the update, different times of day, etc.  Nothing works to get it to connect.  I am following the update instructions to the letter .... which I did for the very first update when I first got the unit but that update was done with the original OEM opamps.   Was hoping that might be the problem.   I'll try a few more times and may even go back to OEM configuration to see what that does.  Thanks for the reply.
John

Hi,

I'll pass this on to the test engineers and see what they say. Out of curiosity, have you tried with the Essence One drivers both installed and uninstalled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back