Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Jan 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #1,036 of 3,573
I'm thinking of buying the E1 Muses in America and using it in Europe. Is there any issue with using a power adapter for the EU? I've read that even power cables could affect the audio quality, so I want to make sure it's okay.

Also, would it be possible to just replace the US power cable with a european one, or is there something in the E1 that expects current from a US cable? If so, is there any particular cable you would recommend?

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,037 of 3,573
There is no differecne in the E1 that is sold in the US, you just have to switch the power supply to 230v at the back. The One comes with a regular power chord so you can use any EU power chord with it. You should not believe too much in expensive power chords because you have to consider that the power comes from the power outlet and  it gets there over some cheap electric copper wires so you would just improve the last 1-2m of a many km-s long chain.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #1,038 of 3,573
Quote:
I'm thinking of buying the E1 Muses in America and using it in Europe. Is there any issue with using a power adapter for the EU? I've read that even power cables could affect the audio quality, so I want to make sure it's okay.
Also, would it be possible to just replace the US power cable with a european one, or is there something in the E1 that expects current from a US cable? If so, is there any particular cable you would recommend?

Well, you need the EU cable or else it wouldn't work for you.
All Essence One seems to be the same regardless of where it's sold.
For example, the one i bought came with three different power cables.
Power cables are probably going to be the last thing that will affect sound. As long as you're getting enough juice, that's pretty much it.
Quote:
There is no differecne in the E1 that is sold in the US, you just have to switch the power supply to 230v at the back. The One comes with a regular power chord so you can use any EU power chord with it. You should not believe too much in expensive power chords because you have to consider that the power comes from the power outlet and  it gets there over some cheap electric copper wires so you would just improve the last 1-2m of a many km-s long chain.

This guy is right.

For ex. If you changed a wall outlet with something like gold/rhodium plated copper contacts and use a $1000 power cord, you'll have to note, that most of the wires, prior to the wall outlet, comes from outside of your home's electrical post, which is then connected to that outlet usually with solid conductor wires which doesn't have the best quality. I don't believe they're even oxygen free copper. Some electricians cut their wires too far back when connecting to the outlet, thus, that exposed copper will then oxidize and give you a weaker signal. To sum it up, you can't turn a lump of crud into a polished gem. It's usually more for aesthetics than sound difference. I find much of it is linked to placebo.

Of course electrical pulses can be interrupted by EMI/RF and quality wires can help with the conduction, but how much of that actually plays in audio quality. Some swear they hear a difference, which is why this topic is so controversial.

However, for me, a two dollar hdmi,usb, or power cord will sounds as good as a two-hundred dollar one.
Headphone cables, rca, coxial, etc does improve in sound quality based on the materials used.

I've just realized that i was in the computer audio section, so let's stay on topic
darthsmile.gif

The stock op-amps are very warm Raven, rolling them out will give vast you improvements.

Tim

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #1,041 of 3,573
Quote:
How does your Denon AH-D7000 sound with the Essence One Muses?

Tim

It's an amazing combo.  I'm falling in love with these headphones all over again. It just made me realize how good these headphones really are; the bass is amazing, mids are great, and the highs are great as well.  Overall, I'm very pleased with the combo and can't stop listening to it.  Essence One Muses Edition really brings the best out of these headphones.  I got the Essence One Muses yesterday and can't stop listening to it.  It handles every genre of music with ease.  It just adds an overall more realistic sound to music overall.  It's very fun to listen too and detailed as well...my type of flavor :).  It's very "musical" and doesn't sound lifeless.

I had the D7000 hooked up to the Essence STX for a long time and bass was kind of thin.  The Essence One Muses brings out the bass and everything else on these headphones.  It brings out what these headphones were meant to sound like.

How are you liking the Essence One Muses so far?

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #1,043 of 3,573
Quote:

It's an amazing combo.  I'm falling in love with these headphones all over again. It just made me realize how good these headphones really are; the bass is amazing, mids are great, and the highs are great as well.  Overall, I'm very pleased with the combo and can't stop listening to it.  Essence One Muses Edition really brings the best out of these headphones.  I got the Essence One Muses yesterday and can't stop listening to it.  It handles every genre of music with ease.  It just adds an overall more realistic sound to music overall.  It's very fun to listen too and detailed as well...my type of flavor :).  It's very "musical" and doesn't sound lifeless.

I had the D7000 hooked up to the Essence STX for a long time and bass was kind of thin.  The Essence One Muses brings out the bass and everything else on these headphones.  It brings out what these headphones were meant to sound like.

How are you liking the Essence One Muses so far?

I'm glad to hear that you're loving the Essence One Muses. The bass less warm than the NE5532, but it's more of an impact with it's punch. The MUSES01 op-amps really does bring much character to every type of genre that i've listened to as well. They put so much 3D and realism into each song making it the opposite of lifeless.

Like you, I very much like the Essence One. I've experimented with my op-amp changes and only found that changing the RCA and Headphone op-amps with dual mono LME49710HA, were there any "real" improvements. It is very detailed, the 3D sound separation is astounding, it's so lifelike compared to my old NuForce Icon HDP that is a little soft/smooth that made music sounded sugar coated.

Sound Stage is quite nice, it has lots of width and it's depth is far enough to my liking. If you ever want to improve the muses further, metal can op-amps are the way to go.
Quote:
I've actually been curious to try out the HE-500 headphones.  I've been doing research on those lately.  How do they sound with the Essence One Muses?

They work well, i like them only 5% more than the HE-400 as those cans are more fun when listening to the majority of upbeat songs in my music library.
They're great sounding, however they bring me a little too close to the stage as i'd like to, the HDP gave me a more breathable distance, but i still like the Sound Quality from the Essence One Muses over the HDP any day of the week. I feel as if i just need to break in the headphones and Essence One a little more as they only have around 30 hours burned into them.

I will conclude my opinion after 100+ hours of burn. As of now it's still floating in the air, thus i can't finish my review (Essence One vs NuForce Icon HDP)

Can't wait for my pure silver hybrid cable to come in for the HE-500/400, hopefully with it, the minor flaws will be no more.

Tim

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #1,044 of 3,573
Quote:
I'm glad to hear that you're loving the Essence One Muses. The bass less warm than the NE5532, but it's more of an impact with it's punch. The MUSES01 op-amps really does bring much character to every type of genre that i've listened to as well. They put so much 3D and realism into each song making it the opposite of lifeless.

Like you, I very much like the Essence One. I've experimented with my op-amp changes and only found that changing the RCA and Headphone op-amps with dual mono LME49710HA, were there any "real" improvements. It is very detailed, the 3D sound separation is astounding, it's so lifelike compared to my old NuForce Icon HDP that is a little soft/smooth that made music sounded sugar coated.

Sound Stage is quite nice, it has lots of width and it's depth is far enough to my liking. If you ever want to improve the muses further, metal can op-amps are the way to go.
They work well, i like them only 5% more than the HE-400 as those cans are more fun when listening to the majority of upbeat songs in my music library.
They're great sounding, however they bring me a little too close to the stage as i'd like to, the HDP gave me a more breathable distance, but i still like the Sound Quality from the Essence One Muses over the HDP any day of the week. I feel as if i just need to break in the headphones and Essence One a little more as they only have around 30 hours burned into them.

I will conclude my opinion after 100+ hours of burn. As of now it's still floating in the air, thus i can't finish my review (Essence One vs NuForce Icon HDP)

Can't wait for my pure silver hybrid cable to come in for the HE-500/400, hopefully with it, the minor flaws will be no more.

Tim

Guys, thank you for your heads up.
Now I am 90% sure what my next purchase will be, guess what????
Tim, what cable should I order for my HE-500 to amp it with the asus muse? Preferably from Toxic...
bigsmile_face.gif
, a link or picture of the cable is appreciated

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #1,045 of 3,573
Quote:

Tim

So would you say that 5% is worth the extra £300 as I'm seriously considering getting the Essence One and HE-400, also how do they sound with the stock op-amps?

Also whats the launch date for the Muses edition or has it already been launched as I cant make up my mind whether to get the muses edition or just upgrade the op-amps with the MUSES01

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #1,046 of 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssarrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... However they bring me a little too close to the stage as i'd like...

+1
Yea, that has been bugging me too with my HE500/E1 combo. Absolutely fantastic for live recordings, but almost unbearable with aggressive pop/rock songs, it's too "in your face". Maybe it'll be better with closed cans...

Also, thanks for the ebay links! I got the premade ones from Thailand, hopefully they'll be here soon since Thailand is pretty close to my country. Only have 2 pairs though, so I'll probably replace the headphone buffers.

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #1,047 of 3,573
Quote:

+1
Yea, that has been bugging me too with my HE500/E1 combo. Absolutely fantastic for live recordings, but almost unbearable with aggressive pop/rock songs, it's too "in your face". Maybe it'll be better with closed cans...

Also, thanks for the ebay links! I got the premade ones from Thailand, hopefully they'll be here soon since Thailand is pretty close to my country. Only have 2 pairs though, so I'll probably replace the headphone buffers.

Which E1 version you got?

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #1,048 of 3,573
It seems that Asus has changed the opamps in the standard edition after the release of the Muses edition. This is from Asus' spec page:

Operational amplifier:

●Balanced/Un-balanced I/V:4 x NE5532
●Balanced/ Un-balanced LFP: 2 x NE5532
●Balanced /Un-balanced Buffer: 3 x NE5532
●Headphone: 1 x I/V: NE5532; 1 x LPF: NE5532; Current Buffer: LME49600

Mine, which I bought in May, only had Ne5532's in the I/V and LFP stages, the rest are LM4562/LME49720. I replaced the 5532's with 4562's a couple of weeks ago, with good results.

I'm thinking about doing as Cssarrow and installing LME49710HA in headphone stage.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #1,050 of 3,573
Hey guys,

Did any of you try the MUSES 02's or know how do they compare against MUSES 01?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back