Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Jan 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,082 of 3,573
Quote:
Hey there, you recommended specific op amps to me before but I was wondering exactly where you had placed them on the circuit board. If its not too much to ask, could you possible show where you put each one with arrows.Thank you!

Sure,  Here are a picture that may help you.

LM4562 = LME49720 = 49710HAx2.

LM might sound different as i've heard, they're made in a new facility.
Two 49710 should have lower noise/sound better than a single 49720. I prefer "HA" (Metal Canned) Op-amps.
They sound better.

OPA627 is more warm and less thin sounding than the LME's. However i like the LME's more for their detail, clarity, and sound stage. Their highs, to me, are less fatiguing than the 627's.

Quote:
Yes I did mean 49720HA, sorry typo.   I tried at least a dozen times to get it to update....changed USB's, redownloaded the update, different times of day, etc.  Nothing works to get it to connect.  I am following the update instructions to the letter .... which I did for the very first update when I first got the unit but that update was done with the original OEM opamps.   Was hoping that might be the problem.   I'll try a few more times and may even go back to OEM configuration to see what that does.  Thanks for the reply.
John

I don't think the OEM op-amps were the issue, highly doubt they have some sort of detection tool in the unit. When i first got the units i replaced the NE5532 right away with MUSES01 then updated, so that shouldn't be the case.

Try uninstalling it completely, delete all sound driver related files/folders, Turn off the Essence One, unplug the USB Cable and restart your computer. Once you're in windows, plug the USB cable in, hold mute and upsampling together. Once the three red lights has stopped flashes and is fully solid (after 2 seconds), let go of the two buttons. Start the tool as administrator and press connect.

That's the best i got, if it doesn't work, you'll just have to pull a miracle like i did.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,083 of 3,573
Quote:

Hi,

I'll pass this on to the test engineers and see what they say. Out of curiosity, have you tried with the Essence One drivers both installed and uninstalled?

I tried each of the USB ports on the back of the computer with no luck and then tried the USB on card reader in the front of the computer and after a couple of tries it connected and I got an update to 1.27.   I'm pretty sure the card reader is a USB1.1 ... maybe that's why it connected although it should have connected on the other USB ports as the mother board only supports USB 1 and 2.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #1,084 of 3,573
Quote:
I tried each of the USB ports on the back of the computer with no luck and then tried the USB on card reader in the front of the computer and after a couple of tries it connected and I got an update to 1.27.   I'm pretty sure the card reader is a USB1.1 ... maybe that's why it connected although it should have connected on the other USB ports as the mother board only supports USB 1 and 2.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll pass this info on to the team.

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,085 of 3,573
I would like to modify my E1 to decrease the headphone gain. Just like the Muses edition gain jumper. This in order to get rid of unbalanced levels in the low range of the volume control when used with my 32Ohm headphones.

Can somebody here guide me on how this could be done? Soldering skills is not a problem.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,087 of 3,573
Quote:
cssarrow, in your picture the two op amps next to the headphone out are both for the buffer stage of the headphone out. It's split out to handle left and right channels individually.

Whoops, i already knew that but accidentally did I/V and LFP for some reason! LOL.

Thanks for spotting the problem, i don't know where my mind wanders some times.

basshead.gif

Does anyone know what kind of WIMA Film Capacitors are used on the Essence One?
MKS, MKP, FKS, or FKP?

Tim

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #1,089 of 3,573
Jan 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,091 of 3,573
Quote:
Apparently they are 
FKP2 and 
FKS2.

Is the MKS better than the FKP/FPS?

i don't think i'll get any sonic improvements upgrading those.

Film resistors just seems like they do what they're suppose to do.

Unless you talk about the super large capacitor ones that are used in speaker crossovers, then it's clearly a large difference.
Would the same thing affect surface mount film capacitors?

Tim

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #1,092 of 3,573
Quote:
Is the MKS better than the FKP/FPS?

i don't think i'll get any sonic improvements upgrading those.

Film resistors just seems like they do what they're suppose to do.

Unless you talk about the super large capacitor ones that are used in speaker crossovers, then it's clearly a large difference.
Would the same thing affect surface mount film capacitors?

Tim

The MKS ist metalized polyester and it has better technical specifications than the FKS.

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #1,093 of 3,573
Quote:
The MKS ist metalized polyester and it has better technical specifications than the FKS.

oh, you're right.

I just checked.

FKS/FKP = Film/Foil Capacitor
MKS/MKP = Metallized Capacitors

"For metallized capacitors a thin metal coating serving as electrode is applied to the plastic film. This method makes it possible to produce capacitors with a very favourable capacitance/volume ratio. The WIMA MKS 4, with 220 µF/50 VDC, offers the highest capacitance rating in the WIMA range. A further specific characteristic of metallized capacitors is the excellent self-healing ability. In the case of an electric breakdown the applied metal layer evaporates. The affected area is isolated and the capacitor continues to function properly."

"The advantage of this method of construction, besides the improved mechanical stability of the component on the board, is the excellent electrical contact reliability."

That sold it for me, i will grab some of the MKS/MKP for my Essence One MOD.

I decided to go for WIMA MKP4 Polypropylene (PP) instead of Polyester after doing a little bit of research.

Required caps:
(8) 2200/100 (taking a guess 2200pF/100V/ 5% Tolerance)
(4) 0.022/100 (taking a guess 0.022uF/100V/10% Tolerance)
(8) 8200/100 (taking a guess 8200pF/100V/10% Tolerance)
(6) 1800/100(taking a guess 1800pF/100V/5% Tolerance)

Tolerance found behind the cap.
PCM is 5mm.

Apparently MPK2 caps are "obsolete" on mouser. hmm...

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back