Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Dec 1, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #361 of 3,573
Originally Posted by Tablix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There is a reason there are so many opamps if you look at the design of the product, having seperate paths for numerous output types allows you to fine tune each output path if you choose.

Yes, Asus went as discrete as you can get with opamps...when some companies use a voltage output DAC(that essentially has a built-in I/V stage), Asus allow you to finetune the sound to your taste at every stage(and all in dual-mono at that!): I/V, line-out level amplification of the I/V, unbalanced & balanced outputs, voltage regulation to feed the headamp.

Surely, it will cost quite a bit to replace the stock jellybeans with superior chips(such as OPA827, AD797 etc) but I guess ppl need to realize that audiophile gear is a niche market, and usually the reseller networks make a 50% markup and the manufacturer itself makes a 400% markup, because it has to pay for R&D/RMA/taxes....so it's better for everyone that they ship w/ jellybean opamps so 1) the casual audiophile is still plenty happy 2) the OCD'ed audiophile can color the sound the exact way he likes.

"Neutrality" doesn't exist, it's a fairy tale for little children....even $3K DAC's are colored, everything colors the sound. This whole hobby boils down to finding a color you like, and when you have cheapo hard soldered opamps from NJM like in the Teac, well....you're basically SOL, just like the what*hifi review pinpointed. NJM cannot compete w/ TI and ADI when it comes to audiophile opamps, in many ppl's opinion at least ^^

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #362 of 3,573
@Tablix, I agree, at those price points I would rather have the opamps in machined sockets. 
Granted the unit does have many opamp BUT you only change the one for the path you are using if you want to use your own units.
The unit has 3 distinct audio paths, Balanced, unbalanced and head amp.

Now I feel like doing some opamp testing!

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #363 of 3,573
When in the world an audiophile knows what to hear,
I want my system to sound as close as possible to what the master engineer had in mind, NOT to make my own music,
We can try to match speaker, amplifiers, preamp to correct the sound to our like, I`m ok with that, the Asus box can make beautiful music, but its not an audiophile DAC,

I think they tried to make an audiophile Dac,  for the budget of pc users, but since that is impossible, thay cheated but putting swappable opamps,
so, you dont like the sound? its ok just replace the chips, yo`ll find smth you like in the end,
or you can use equalizers plugins for free,
while this is ok for a soundcard of  a max of 200$, inside a noisy pc, you`d expect a bit more for a external DAC,
anyway, in an audio circuit, replacing cheap opamps with better ones it doesn`t mean for sure better sound, its hardly true for audio capacitors,

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #364 of 3,573

Quote:
When in the world an audiophile knows what to hear,
I want my system to sound as close as possible to what the master engineer had in mind, NOT to make my own music,
We can try to match speaker, amplifiers, preamp to correct the sound to our like, I`m ok with that, the Asus box can make beautiful music, but its not an audiophile DAC,

I think they tried to make an audiophile Dac,  for the budget of pc users, but since that is impossible, thay cheated but putting swappable opamps,
so, you dont like the sound? its ok just replace the chips, yo`ll find smth you like in the end,
or you can use equalizers plugins for free,
while this is ok for a soundcard of  a max of 200$, inside a noisy pc, you`d expect a bit more for a external DAC,
anyway, in an audio circuit, replacing cheap opamps with better ones it doesn`t mean for sure better sound, its hardly true for audio capacitors,

"I want my system to sound as close as possible to what the master engineer had in mind, NOT to make my own music"  You can NEVER know this unless you were in the studio, and using this as an argument further worries me that you are making claims with no backing. 

Define what an audiophile DAC is, the data provided by ASUS is more than most producers of "audiophile" equipment offer the end user.  I can check all data and measurements and it measures pretty close to much more expensive DAC's as standard.  The more you post the more I feal you are biased against this product just because of the manufacturer, you have yet to provide any convincing argument to persuade me otherwise. 

While I am not arguing you can get a better DAC, my argument is that for the money there are very few if ANY competitors.  I already stated that the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was similar and probably superior BUT it costs an extra £50 or $75, which is another 15% of the cost just to have an "audiophile" manfacturer.

I know it seems I am trolling for an argument, but I just find that your claims of how this product is not worth the money difficult to swallow. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #365 of 3,573
I'll be in for one when Amazon themselves or J&R stock it.

Hopefully by then, 6moons will have reviewed it as well.

I haven't read anything about compatibility with Macs...is it?

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #366 of 3,573
Amazon did. I think I just took the last one "Sold by Amazon". More will be in stock though. ;P
Beach Audio also carries a few units at a time on Amazon. Just check-in early in the morning. :)

Quote:
I'll be in for one when Amazon themselves or J&R stock it.

Hopefully by then, 6moons will have reviewed it as well.

I haven't read anything about compatibility with Macs...is it?

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #367 of 3,573
Pretty tempted to get one lol
rolleyes.gif
but gotta wait for more impressions! (Especially the STX vs. One)

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #368 of 3,573

Quote:
"I want my system to sound as close as possible to what the master engineer had in mind, NOT to make my own music"  You can NEVER know this unless you were in the studio, and using this as an argument further worries me that you are making claims with no backing. 

Define what an audiophile DAC is, the data provided by ASUS is more than most producers of "audiophile" equipment offer the end user.  I can check all data and measurements and it measures pretty close to much more expensive DAC's as standard.  The more you post the more I feal you are biased against this product just because of the manufacturer, you have yet to provide any convincing argument to persuade me otherwise. 

While I am not arguing you can get a better DAC, my argument is that for the money there are very few if ANY competitors.  I already stated that the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was similar and probably superior BUT it costs an extra £50 or $75, which is another 15% of the cost just to have an "audiophile" manfacturer.

I know it seems I am trolling for an argument, but I just find that your claims of how this product is not worth the money difficult to swallow. 

I agree with you fully. I think Sonci is just mad that a company usually known for computer parts is treading on "sacred territory". Its that type of elitism that turns people off from the audio world. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #369 of 3,573
I received my Essence One the other day and didn't have much of chance to listen to it.  It took me a while to get everything setup.  My version came with power cables that were not compatible with US power outlets.  I was fortunate I had a brand new power cable laying around the house and didn't have to go to the store to get one.  I hooked up all the cables and plugged everything in.  I went straight to the Asus website and downloaded the latest drivers. I started playing some songs and I was not happy at all with what I was hearing.  I was thinking to myself I just downloaded the latest drivers and is this how ****ty this thing sounds?  I remember reading a review and how this was almost not listenable through the USB connection.  That's how I had mine hooked up to my PC.  It hit me I needed to upgrade the firmware...the Asus website has the newest firmware drivers, but not the programs required to execute the firmware or at least I couldn't find it there.  After searching on Google I was finally able to find the firmware programs to execute the firmware updates.

This will update the Audio Chip F/W (version 0109):
http://www.driversdown.com/drivers.asp?ID=122074&brNum=3&show=0

This will update the Essence One F/W (version 1.25):
http://www.driversdown.com/drivers.asp?ID=122075&brNum=3&show=0

Both of them have the firmware and the programs required to run them.

I updated the firmware and was finally able to do some listening.  I was crossing my fingers that would fix the sound issue -- I began playing my tracklist and boy...that magically transformed the sound.  It was absolute bliss.  A lot of my favorite songs it was like listening to them for the first time again at the new details I was hearing.  Essence One is definitely in different category when compared to the STX and well worth the money.  Bass is tight and punchy, STX was kind of lean on the bass department, mids are a lot cleaner, and the highs are great as well.  This DAC is audiophile grade for sure...you hear the instrument separation and vocals.  The overall sound is a lot more realistic and live sounding than the STX.  It handles all types of music with ease.  It feels like you are in the same room and listening to the musician perform live.  I'm definitely blown away by the sound quality of the Essence One.  Those that plan to get it make sure to update the firmware, and get the latest drivers from the Asus website and listen to the Essence One come live.

Anyone want to buy my STX? Hehe :).

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #371 of 3,573
Interesting, I upgraded the FW all on their support site. You sure you've checked it out on the official support site?

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=21&m=Xonar+Essence+One&hashedid=r1OYJw1GHdZGIqQl

11 files found 
[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]   AUDIO (1)[/size]

[size=medium]   Firmware (2)
Version  0109
 ​
Description​
USB FW Ver.0109 (6631-0109-EssenceOne-ALL.hex)
1. Fix: noise issue.

Please first install the driver correctly before F/W update.
please also read the update guide which is attached in update utility.​
File Size​
15,88 (KBytes) 2011.11.04  update
Download from​
asus_download_pics01.gif
 Global (DLM)  |  
asus_download_pics02.gif
 Global  | 
asus_download_pics04.gif
 China
 ​

Version  1.25
 ​
Description​
MCU FW Ver.1.25 (GPIO_Demo_20110930_V1.25.bin)
1. Fix: cannot play back ASIO files issue.
2. Add Input Source function.

File Size​
4,35 (KBytes) 2011.11.04  update
Download from​
asus_download_pics01.gif
 Global (DLM)  |  
asus_download_pics02.gif
 Global  | 
asus_download_pics04.gif
 China
 ​

[/size]

[size=medium]   Utilities (1)[/size]

[size=medium]   Manual (7)[/size]

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #373 of 3,573

Quote:
Interesting, I upgraded the FW all on their support site. You sure you've checked it out on the official support site?

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=21&m=Xonar+Essence+One&hashedid=r1OYJw1GHdZGIqQl

11 files found 
[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]   AUDIO (1)[/size]

[size=medium]   Firmware (2)
Version  0109
 ​
Description​
USB FW Ver.0109 (6631-0109-EssenceOne-ALL.hex)
1. Fix: noise issue.

File Size​
15,88 (KBytes) 2011.11.04  update
Download from​
asus_download_pics01.gif
 Global (DLM)  |  
asus_download_pics02.gif
 Global  | 
asus_download_pics04.gif
 China
 ​

Version  1.25
 ​
Description​
MCU FW Ver.1.25 (GPIO_Demo_20110930_V1.25.bin)
1. Fix: cannot play back ASIO files issue.
2. Add Input Source function.

File Size​
4,35 (KBytes) 2011.11.04  update
Download from​
asus_download_pics01.gif
 Global (DLM)  |  
asus_download_pics02.gif
 Global  | 
asus_download_pics04.gif
 China
 ​

[/size]

[size=medium]   Utilities (1)[/size]

[size=medium]   Manual (7)[/size]

Yes, I was on their official site.  I found the utility for the Essence One firmware.  But I couldn't find the utility to execute the firmware for the USB issue.  It uses a different firmware utility.  Either way I was getting impatient and decided to Google it :).

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #374 of 3,573
hum... they must be changing or doing something there, cause I saw 2 utilities few days ago and downloaded it before I got my Essence One.
One is for FW update, one is for MCU update.

Anyway, glad to hear you get it fixed.

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #375 of 3,573
How do you guys have the settings setup for the Essence One so far?  Are you upsampling everything to 192hz/24bit, bit perfect, or just sticking to 44.1hz/16bit?

I don't have any high resolution files.  All my music is pretty much 16 bit, 44.1hz.  Do you recommend I upsample or leave it here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back