Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Dec 27, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #3,511 of 3,573
The iphone can’t be EQed or I should add an equalizer.

What’s the sound signature of your two combinations? I mean we are in the warm or in the bright side?

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #3,512 of 3,573
I would call it neutral-to-warm side.

However, without a bit of EQ-ing I can't increase the volume if headphones are used, because I'm 4KHz sensitive (either EQ, either modded headphones) and I need 8 KHz to get increased (for some reason I'm missing 8 KHz with all my headphones, but on the speakers 8 KHz sounds fine).

Dec 29, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #3,513 of 3,573
I would call it neutral-to-warm side.

However, without a bit of EQ-ing I can't increase the volume if headphones are used, because I'm 4KHz sensitive (either EQ, either modded headphones) and I need 8 KHz to get increased (for some reason I'm missing 8 KHz with all my headphones, but on the speakers 8 KHz sounds fine).

It's anyway a "try" and listening in the bedroom room I would like to not add more stuff to the "chain".

I am trying to understand if I can use the Mojo-HD650 pair without any amplification, there I have no issues at all about fatiguing listening, but I am a little afraid about the dynamics that I lost.

I am testing and thinking, to choose between Mojo-HD650 or E1-HD650 with the mods that you advices.

Any comments/opinion are very welcome.

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #3,516 of 3,573
How long have you used E1? Have u tried upsampling if it reduces the fatigue? Is your music high bitrate?

I have the E1 from 2012, I used very much as dac and very few as headphone's amp.

I tried upsampling but I didn't like the results at all.

I use only iPhone>Tidal>E1 so 44,1khz bitrate.

The problem is not with all music but with a good part of it. Instead, with Mojo, I don't have fatiguing at all (but the E1 has other advantages).

Now I put away (for now) the E1 and I want to give the attention to the Mojo to understand if it can pair well with HD650, just don't want other A/B test for some days in order to not confuse my hearing. If I will get used with the Mojo's low dynamics and narrow soundstage (but also the musicality, tone, details and zero fatiguing) I will stick with it otherwise I will back with the E1 but I will ask some advices to make it more "warm".

Dec 30, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #3,517 of 3,573
Upsampling only work fine in the Mkii version; you can read more about it here on this forum, but also on the Archimago's blog.

Also, for opamp upgrading there's plenty of info on this forum. I would suggest MUSES01 in I/V, BURSON V6 dual or MUSES02 or MUSES8820 in LPF. Buffers will not change the sound much, I can't recommend you changing the default opamps unless you really want to do this (however, MUSES8820 could be a good upgrade for the buffers, though you will not feel any difference in A/B test).

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #3,518 of 3,573
Tested 4x Ne5532 in I/V againts 4 x Muses01 in I/V for HD800 to bring bit more lower end / bass.

Well the clarity and detail loss was just too much, singer voices went meh and there was more bass quantity but not quality. Rather use Muses01 and just EQ little bit more bass with low shelf filter.

Have to add that Muses01 feet seemed very fragile and about to break when removing or adding them to sockets.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #3,519 of 3,573
Have to add that Muses01 feet seemed very fragile and about to break when removing or adding them to sockets.
That's good news as that means you have the real deal Muses01s and not fakes. Mount them is a socket and remove the socket when opamp rollin or better yet put them in and leave them there as you won't find better.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #3,522 of 3,573
Hello again,

Not sure if everyone's aware of the main lowlight of E1 amplifier: the output impedance of about 11 ohms (I actually measured 10.9 ohms on mine with 1kHz sine signal and 30-ohms resistive load). I usually don't complain about this because it sounds very good with most of my cans, but I got into troubles recently with the newly purchased 16-ohms IEM's because of bass roll-off and the sub-bass was impaired when A/B compared against a discrete amplifier I have it on my desk. Also, my Fostex T50RP MK3 planars were having a bit of issues in the sub-bass department too when paired with E1's amplifier, instead with my Matrix HPA-3B or Burson Play bass was just fine. With other cans I found no such issues!

Here's the 2 x 10-ohms resistors in the signal path, just between the LME49600 and the 6.3mm jack plug:
WP_20180401_21_52_17_Pro.jpg

I could probably just short-circuit both resistors, because they're unnecessary based on TI's specs of LME49600, but I find it safe & easy to parallel 2 more 10-ohms resistors on top of existing ones to lower the output resistance and impedance as well.

10ohms_resistors_mod.png

Sorry for how it looks like, but these were the only resistors I had at home for the moment. However, I was able to measure about 2.9 Ohms output impedance with 30-ohms resistive load after doing the above mod. This is all I needed so I can be able to have a proper listening experience out of my planars and low-impedance IEM headphones and I'm quite happy with this easy mod.

Why are those 10-ohms resistors in there in the first place if TI is not recommend them? Well...most likely to protect the output stage LME49600 chips when we plug/unplug the headphones while music is still playing (there's a short-circuit creating inside the jack when we do that). So a common sense would be to lower the volume or simply stop the music from playing when plugging or unplugging the headphones and no issues will occur.

Some links regarding the initial concern/lowlight/con:
- https://www.stereophile.com/content...-processor150headphone-amplifier-measurements
- https://headmania.org/2014/05/16/asus-xonar-essence-one-review/

L.E.: Second pic got re-edited later for a better close-up view.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #3,524 of 3,573
At this price it should be a good performer combo device. You really need to read Soundnews, Headmania, Stereophile and Innerfidelity reviews about it. Also, you might wanna review some of the 235 pages of this forum, at least the first douzens of pages might tell you something about this DAC/headmap combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back