Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Sep 8, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #3,361 of 3,573
Burson amp is all unbalanced in and out.  Given also that I'll be using 2 x SS V5 in LPF,  spending extra for the Muses Edition is not really an option.   Shall I decide to get the E1 it's gonna be the standard version.  And then I go on from there trying other op amps, if necessary.

Btw, to answer: Yes, I have tested the STX II with a couple of other headphones such as Sennheiser HD202 and Denon D1100.  Especially the latter are much different, being closed and bassy.  Result was the same.  Other than having the headphones doing their own stuff to the music, distance and congestion was portrayed in the same way.  So this is clearly a soundcard's issue.  Distant audio might not be considered to be a flaw but congestion is.

I still own an old Creative SB XtremeGamer soundcard from 2009 and my first computer build.  Believe me,  it doesn't feel that "compressed".   In fact, I also prefer its frequency transition even more than the Asus card.  It loses in all other aspects though.

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #3,362 of 3,573
Hi guys,

need your help.

I switch from Win 7 to Win 10 and I have a problem with ASIO - BIT PERFECT in foobar2000.

In Win 7 when I pause the music the DAC stays with "BIT PERFECT" on.

In Win 10 when I pause the DAC loses the "BIT PERFECT", and the led become off.

It's a problem because, in Win 7, if I pause and play everything is fine and silent but when I pause and play in Win 10 I hear glitch and clicks from the speakers because the DAC disconnect and reconnect itself to BIT PERFECT.

When I pause the DAC must KEEP the connection and the BIT PERFECT must be ON.

When I stop, ok, it must lost the connection but it was also in this way in Win 7.

HELP.

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #3,364 of 3,573
  Try making your Essence One the default DAC for playback. Usually you're loosing BitPerfect when you pause the playback because another DAC (maybe the internal from the motherboard) is default.

Hi,

thank you very much for the rapid answer.

When I turn on the DAC it become immediately the default for everything (not only for foobar).

Could you tell me if you use Win 10 and your feedback about?

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #3,366 of 3,573
  I'm using Win7, sorry, but I don't see reasons not to be OK under Win10 as well.

I don't want to leave Win 10 and back to Win 7, mainly because I have a new laptop and I think Win 10 will use it better.

ALSO, I don't want a dual boot, because is not easy to switch OS only for listening music.

I want to stuck with Win 10 but I am angry about this different behavior of foobar and ASIO.

Anyone can help me to isolate the issue?

1) Is foobar2000 the problem?
2) Is the Win 10 driver of ASUS the problem?
3) Is Win 10 itself the problem?

I want that just like Win 7 when I PAUSE music the connection between PC and DAC should be remain (LED BIT PERFECT ON).

I totally hate that crappy sound, I listen into headphones, i play PAUSE often, I dislike that ugly sounds!

Overall, foobar2000 SHOULD PLAY SILENCE when in pause to keep the connection alive?

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #3,368 of 3,573
All I can tell you is that after upgrading to Win 10 my media server running foobar 2000 it experienced drop-outs, fades, and stops.   Two weeks later I went back to Win 7 where everything runs without any issues and never looked back.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #3,369 of 3,573
  May somebody who has WINDOWS 10 and FOOBAR2000 tell me the behaviour about bit perfect after PAUSE and after STOP of foobar?

Thank you in advance...

I've tried both the foo_dsd_asio and the ASUS_asio plugin. Both switch to 44.1 LED when I pause or stop. But there no noise or weird annoying sound when I click play again. As soon as I click play the bit perfect LED instantly comes back on.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #3,370 of 3,573
Heya raoultrifan,

Out of curiosity, what have you done with those resistors on the power input to the audio board as displayed below?
I've been reading through this thread and will be modding my E1 (SS V5's on the way too) to resolve the ground issues
Had my E1 since 2012 or so, so worth a go before moving on to a more expensive DAC

Quote:
  Looks like to be able to fully close Essence One case I need to "bend down" the SS V5 op-amps.

​
 ​
V5 were stick to output capacitors by using double tape (1.5 mm width).

Now the sound of my DSD albums through my Essence One connected via XLR cables to fully balanced Matrix M-Stage 3B with balanced AKG K701 is incredible detailed and soundstage is great too!

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #3,371 of 3,573
Hi, 

I believe they are electrolytic caps and also a non-polarized cap and I had them used to decrease the ripple and noise injected by the power cable that passes over the toroidal transformer.

For the SS V5 please use shorter wires than I used in my picture! If you can do the wires at most 2cm long it would be best.

Regards!

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #3,372 of 3,573
Hm, so you reckon a better insulated cable passing the transformer may also be good? I've read of people swapping out the cabling. As for the V5's, I purchased Burson's extenders which are 3cm... but will take heed in case a mod may be preferable.

Also, has anyone tried rolling Burson's SS V5i's? https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5i/
Read some reviews that paint them in a good light

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #3,373 of 3,573
Be careful of reviews.   I've had bad luck with the V5i's, they don't work in every application.   I used them in my Marchand XM44 (installed properly, double-triple checked prior to power-on) and there was no sound at all from either channel.  I feared damage to the XM44 but after replacement of the originals all was normal.   I emailed Burson and they never replied or listed the XM44 as one of the applications that the V5i is not suited for.    My intent was to try them in my E1 as well but after my experience with the XM44 I'm not about to take a chance.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #3,374 of 3,573
Hi, 

I'm using with success 4xV5i in LPF and BUFFER in my DIY MUSES MKii and it works great, though I have no time for extensive review for the moment. I intend to also test them in the VAS stage for the headphone amplifier.

Indeed, on my Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B I had issues using the V5i opamps (hiss noise on both channels), but I will probably retry this test in a couple of months, after a complete burn-in.

So, feel free to test the V5i in LPF, VAS and output buffer without worries, just don't try them in I/V stage.

Cheers, 
Raul.

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #3,375 of 3,573
  Hi, 

I'm using with success 4xV5i in LPF and BUFFER in my DIY MUSES MKii and it works great, though I have no time for extensive review for the moment. I intend to also test them in the VAS stage for the headphone amplifier.

Indeed, on my Matrix M-Stage HPA-3B I had issues using the V5i opamps (hiss noise on both channels), but I will probably retry this test in a couple of months, after a complete burn-in.

So, feel free to test the V5i in LPF, VAS and output buffer without worries, just don't try them in I/V stage.

Cheers, 
Raul.

How do the V5i vs the V5 in term of sound on the E1. Which do you prefer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back