Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Aug 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #3,346 of 3,573
Hello everyone. I need some advice
regular_smile .gif

I bought the E1 amp (standard, not muses) a few years ago, and have used it so far only with my computer and a HD650 headphone. I'm very very pleased with this setup so far.

I'd like now to get speakers to watch films or listen to music when I'm not alone. What speakers do you use with your Essence One ? Do you use XLR or RCA output ? Can I buy the Klipsch RP-150M or is their 8 ohm impedance too low ?

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #3,347 of 3,573
You could go balanced if your active speakers or amplifier have XLR plugs.
Speakers output impedance has nothing to do with your DAC.
I believe Klipsch RP-150M could meet your needs; Essence One is quite transparent, so it shouldn't be an issue to pair it with any speakers you'd like (like most DAC actually). More important would be to pair the amplifier with the speakers I'd say.

Good luck!

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #3,348 of 3,573
Looks like to be able to fully close Essence One case I need to "bend down" the SS V5 op-amps.

​
V5 were stick to output capacitors by using double tape (1.5 mm width).

Now the sound of my DSD albums through my Essence One connected via XLR cables to fully balanced Matrix M-Stage 3B with balanced AKG K701 is incredible detailed and soundstage is great too!

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #3,349 of 3,573
Question to the guys who've heard both the Asus E1 MKII and MKII Muses edition (basically it comes down to 5532 Vs Muses01):

Does one of the two create the sense of a close-sounding, full, chesty mix? If this comes at the expense of some soundstage loss, I'll take it!

STX II is too laid-back and thin for my liking.  It sounds either "far-distant" or "mid-distant" depending on op-amp configuration (Muses8920/8820, lme49720, Burson V5).

Btw I would like to thank whoever has contributed to this huge thread, especially Raul with  his valuable info such as the way E1 handles the op amps in balanced/unbalanced mode.  Imo, the biggest contributor.
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #3,350 of 3,573
Thanks a lot EternalChampion! :)

I would say that the stock NE5532 or LME4562 or MUSES8920 might be what you're looking for, but to be honest...you really need to listen to this configuration first.

Though, most of headfiers would agree that the sound of MUSES01 in I/V stage, mostly because the details, clarity and soundstage.

BTW, what do you think about trying a bit of crossfeed (10-15% perhaps)?

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #3,351 of 3,573
So you think crossfeed might help to bring things a bit more forward?  How do I activate this I have no idea
confused.gif

My audio chain is this: Windows 7 x64 (foobar) --> Asus STX II --> Burson SL MK2 --> HD600

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #3,352 of 3,573
You should find a plugin/extension like this one: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_meiercf or something else, depending on your taste. In case you like it, then you could aim to a headamp that already contains crossfeed circuitry inside.

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #3,353 of 3,573
Downloaded the Meier crossfeed and activated it in the foobar.  It makes a subtle change, but not for the better.

Anyways Raul, how would you describe your experience with E1,  is it "in your face" type of audio or somewhat distant?  

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #3,355 of 3,573
Like I said above, Sennheiser HD6000.

May I ask if the same op amps you've used on different circuits adjusted on an entirely new sound signature or they kept at least some character?

I'm saying this because ALL the op-amps that have tested on the STX II including the Burson V5 share very similar characteristics including "flaws" such as "congestion" due to the distant audio.   All my assumptions are based on a PC soundcard though.  Maybe if I just plug then onto some hefty external circuit such as the E1 every op amp will excel and show its true capacity?

What do you think?

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #3,356 of 3,573
Usually, op-amps preserve their sound character if swapped from one circuit to another, but audible differences between one op-amp to another are very subtle and can be mostly "discovered" in A/B tests and not by using audio memory.

Differences between op-amps could be much higher if circuitry around the op-amp is not perfectly designed, especially decoupling techniques and also power source and PCB design as well; so with minimal decoupling or a "not so well regulated" power supply differences between op-amps might be audible by most people, because of op-amps ripple rejection factor that differs from one op-amp to another.

In case of Essence One, the PSU is not perfect at all, PCB traces seems not to be so perfect too, but decoupling is OK (about the same schematics recommended by Texas Instruments), though some head-fiers said that increasing decoupling capacitors improved soundstage and clarity (most likely because of PSU's flaws).

May I suggest to "test" your headphones in a different DAC/headamp and see if the sound is more likely for you?

Also, after reading http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-600/reviews I got the feeling that HD 600 has quite of a soundstage and maybe trying different headphones you'll find a pair that will match better with Essence One. From what I've read, HD800 matches perfectly with E1, but "de gustibus non est disputandum".

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #3,357 of 3,573
Thanks for the input.

Currently I'm in search of a step-up dac (or dac/head amp combo it doesn't matter) that will allow me to give a try to various op-amps and accepts the Burson V5 duals to pair with Soloist SL MKII amp which I'm planning to keep for a long time.   My budget is somewhere there,  at about 500-600 Euros max.   Essence One MKII seems to be an ideal candidate for that price point.

From your personal experience and technical knowledge , do you have any other device in mind to recommend which has equally good or better PSU, PCB layout etc than the E1, for similar cost?

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #3,358 of 3,573
I don't have much experience with lot of DACs, but Emotiva Stealth DC-1 (no DSD) comes into my mind now, as the PSU seems to be better and from tests and reviews I've seen most people seems to be pleased with this DAC. Also, Emotiva customer service & support seems a bit better than ASUS, but maybe this is just my impression. Also, a nice & decent PSU which is correctly shielded would be NuForce DAC-80 and NuForce DAC-100, though based on http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nuforce17/6.html "Essence One" might sound better from some perspectives.

For a bit more amount of money Schiit Bifrost Multibit or Schiit Gungnir (both unable to play DSD) might be considered un upgrade for Essence One, but I'm only aware of their electronics from inside and other technical aspects, so you still need to listen to them prior to the final purchase. Myself I'd love to own and test a Gungnir Multibit, but it's kind of expensive for my needs. :)

You may need to read many DAC reviews from Head-Fi to make the right decision, though Essence One MKII is quite a decent DAC, especially if you can upgrade it later with 4xMUSES01 for the I/V stage.

Sep 8, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #3,359 of 3,573
Ok thanks again.  I'll do my research even though something tells me I'll end up with the E1 because I have 6x V5 duals right now 3 of which resting unused next to me.   Not a good picture.

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #3,360 of 3,573
I do recommend you 4xMUSES01 for the I/V stage; it has been proven by many headfiers that it's a good improvement over the soundstage and clarity. Also, MUSES8890 might be considered, financiary speaking, but improvement over the stock NE5532 may not be heared by many.

Use your existing SS V5 dual in LPF stage (2xV5), in headamp VAS (2xV5) and in output buffers (2xV5 for balanced/XLR or 1xV5 for unbalanced/RCA outputs, depending on your external amplifier, if any). You may want to purchase V5 wire extenders from Burson for each SS V5 op-amp you want to insert in E1, otherwise you'll not be able to close E1's case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back