Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Sep 8, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #3,016 of 3,573
If you're conecting a SPDIF you have to check the strength of the signal, some DAC's output from 0.5V,  1V ,  2V,    2,5V , 5V.  Check the maximum rated input for the essence one. Usually the DAC/AMP are made to work with a specific level of input and apply Gain accordingly. so if you're way under the maximum rated input you'll get low volume.

A friend had this problem with NFB-6 because he was using a DAC that has 1V output, so he had to mod the NFB-6 so it would apply a higher gain.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #3,017 of 3,573
  I'm a bit confused, I have been running my Asus Xonar Essence One using SPDIF from my Creative Titanum HD in order to get the CMSS:3D effects working while gaming, and I have always found the gain to feel quite weak / low..

So I got myself a Creative ZxR with its own built-in headphone amp to compare and they seem to feature much improved gain, but overall a bit lower audio quality. Might it be that the Asus Xonar Essence One is not running in High-Gain mode making it feel weak running my Sennheiser HD 650? There seems to be no way to verify or change the gain on the actual unit itself, I guess you might have some software options running the Xonar Essence One using USB, but like I said I'm running it through SPDIF in order to get the DSP from my Creative Titanium HD...

I'm not going to keep the Creative ZxR as I don't really like the sound signature, and the DSP feels very week compared to the Titanium HD, especially for gaming. CMSS:3D seems to do wonders compared to their new SBX Studio Pro which seems like a rebranded THX ThruStudio which I always have on my Titanium HD...

Going for Essence STX II is not an option either as I can't stand Dolby Headphones for gaming, that's why I got the Essence One a few months back in order to get the benefit of Creative's CMSS:3D DPS for gaming, while having the audio quality and amp from Essence One.. But like I said, the gain seems very thin..

Another things I'm really struggling with is the connection from my Titanium HD to the Essence One... Very often audio is simply not played back at all.. Especially notification sounds from Windows login, Skype notifications etc.. Is either not played at all, or I will hear the notification halfway through making it all sound fuzzy.. I can't seem to figure out what might be causing this, its not like the audio has any problems while playing back movies, games, during actual Skype voice chatting etc... But its almost like these notification sounds get lost while the computer is establishing communication with the DAC which is quite awkward and a little bit annoying.

Seems pretty bad idea to drive your essence one through titanium HD. I could atleast picture many possible problems when doing that.

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #3,018 of 3,573
I just bought E1 muses edition. I'm interested to change the headphone buffer opamps. Has anyone put muses01 opamps in there too? Is it even wise to change buffer opamps in muses edition? Also I would like to know if any of you have tried burson opamps on E1?

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #3,019 of 3,573
Sorry, but headphone amp section have 2 opamps?

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #3,021 of 3,573
Planning to buy Muses01 2pcs. for headphone section, when my Mad Dogs come in.

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #3,023 of 3,573
  I just bought E1 muses edition. I'm interested to change the headphone buffer opamps. Has anyone put muses01 opamps in there too? Is it even wise to change buffer opamps in muses edition? Also I would like to know if any of you have tried burson opamps on E1?

I have, in fact I've installed 11 MUSES01 on mine (Costed $45 each AUD from Akizukidenshi (Japan). It work wonders for HD800 owners. Chip doesn't run hot at all. just slight warm to touch. Waiting for the LME47910HA Dual to compare the 2.

Fake one from china is on the left

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #3,025 of 3,573
  I have, in fact I've installed 11 MUSES01 on mine (Costed $45 each AUD from Akizukidenshi (Japan). It work wonders for HD800 owners. Chip doesn't run hot at all. just slight warm to touch. Waiting for the LME47910HA Dual to compare the 2.

Fake one from china is on the left

Thanks for your info. I will order couple of muses01 opamps for the phone section soon.

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #3,026 of 3,573

Thanks for your info. I will order couple of muses01 opamps for the phone section soon.

From where are you gonna order them?

There are lots ant lots of fake ones out there, you have to be careful!

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #3,028 of 3,573
Has anyone used these opamps? http://www.bursonaudio.com/creations/discrete-opamp/

Without proper testing with an oscilloscope for oscillation. It's ill advised to use other opamp that's not listed in the opamp rolling guide.
Oscillation causes the opamp to overheat and shorten the life of your equipment. Stick to the guide below

I have not looked which is the best place to order. Mach3 posted that he ordered them in store called akizukidenshi. It seems pretty reliable.

http://akizukidenshi.com/catalog/g/gI-03416/

They are reliable as I confirmed with NJR/Nichicon (The company that makes the opamps) before I went ahead and bought the opamps.

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #3,029 of 3,573

Without proper testing with an oscilloscope for oscillation. It's ill advised to use other opamp that's not listed in the opamp rolling guide.
Oscillation causes the opamp to overheat and shorten the life of your equipment. Stick to the guide below

They are reliable as I confirmed with NJR/Nichicon (The company that makes the opamps) before I went ahead and bought the opamps.

How did you order (I could not make heads or tails!) from there site?

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #3,030 of 3,573
Has anyone installed the Asus DSD expansion kit on E1? I looked it at their site and saw that in the kit is included 2pcs of muses02 instead of muses01 opamps. I wonder where they are meant to be installed headphone or LPF section and why did asus choose them over muses01 in dsd kit? That leads me thinking how they would sound if I would place them in my muses editions headphone section?

http://www.asus.com/fi/Essence_HiFi_Audio/Essence_One_DSD_Upgrade_Kit/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back