Astrotec Lyra (open-back earbud)
May 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #21 of 26
I have to admit, this is a tempting earbud.  As it is, I'm using a DIY pk2 I bought off ebay, which compared to my pk3 has a more enjoyable sound...  so its hard to say if paying the 165 for this will end up being worthwhile.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #22 of 26
I was contemplating if I should start a new thread for LYRA 6, but since the driver design and the housing should be identical to original LYRA, I figured to keep it in the same thread here.  Beside, I usually have a hard time with earbuds fitment thus my sound analysis might not be the entirely accurate.  But nevertheless, I will describe it as best as I hear it without assistance of pushing on earbuds from outside.  So, here we go!

This is a review of a new Astrotec LYRA 6 earbuds. http://www.astrotec.cn/product.asp?id=24&Ca=5 . I wasn't able to find direct LYRA 6 link for purchase, but aware that Penonaudio has LYRA model for sale: http://penonaudio.com/Astrotec-Lyra with the only difference of LYRA 6 having a special ear-hook design. Perhaps Penonaudio will be a good starting point if you are interested in purchasing of these new earbuds.

Earbuds design is a very tricky business, and manufacturers take a lot of risk because the fitment is not as universal as regular in-ear headphones where you can take advantage of different housing shape or nozzle design with custom eartip. As I found out from my recent review of another earbuds brand, I wasn't even able to perform a sound test due to incompatible ear fitment. But I still have a hope and wanted to give another earbuds model a try. Well known for their multi-driver hybrid designs, I already had an opportunity to review Astrotec AX-35 dual driver hybrid IEM. Now, I got a chance to review their single dynamic driver earbuds. Here is what I found.

Arrived in a formal dressed black box, the top cover had a very interesting "industrial" engineering sketch of LYRA 6 instead of a typical hi-res picture you see on other headphones boxes. The back of the packaging had technical specification in both Chinese and English and the rest of the description in Chinese. Under the cover you have a minimum display setting with LYRA 6 inside of a foam cutout, looking like two shiny jewelry pieces. Underneath of the foam you find a very sophisticated leather storage pouch, two sets of foam earpads, a warranty card, and proper wear instructions with a brief description of the design details in English. I actually appreciate that Astrotec included that card, keeping their english-speaking customers in mind. Btw, when I say "sophisticated" leather pouch, I really mean that - a soft brown leather pocket, roomy enough to store LYRA 6 with a wrapped cable and a flap with a magnetic button.

Looking at LYRA 6, I assume it shares a lot of similarities with its original LYRA predecessor, though I have been told that a filter and a driver tuning was changed (with slightly enhanced bass). Starting with a headphone plug you have a straight slim 3.5mm gold platted connector with a short but sturdy strain relief suitable for use with any DAP or smartphone in a case. Cable is very soft, easy to manage, free of tangle, and very similar to AX-35. Y-splitter is short, matching design/finish of the headphone plug, with a similar short strain relief on a common side and a very short one on the split side with a sliding cable cinch. Cable attachment to earpiece also has a nice sturdy strain relief but the entry of the cable is a little different from the original LYRA design. As a matter of fact, original LYRA design was a bit similar to their AX-60 3-way hybrid IEM, and as a result a lot of people probably jumped into a conclusion that LYRA was hybrid as well. But neither LYRA nor LYRA 6 are hybrids, they have a single dynamic driver.

Looking at the shape of earbuds you can see a traditional bell-shaped design with a flat surface which sits facing your ear canal. But when you look on the back of the shell, you will see something not traditional, resembling a jewelry piece with sparkling textured micro balls. Just one look and it was like a deja vu from my recent review of B&W C5 series 2 IEMs - the embedded filter with micro-pores which contributes to a natural airy wide soundstage. This filter design definitely adds to the functionality of these earbuds as well as more luxurious looks. As you can see, I'm using words "luxurious" and "sophisticated" to describe headphones, something I typically don't do. But that is exactly how it felt holding these earbuds in my hands. From a round earpiece with sparkly porous filter design to a sharp cut lines of the attached metal earhook piece and softer lines of the rubber earhook piece that goes behind your ear attached to a metal arm with a cool looking hinge. Everything looks like a piece of art and still very functional to adjust the angle of the arm relative to the earpiece and the same with rubber piece behind your ears.

So how does it sounds? I'm well aware of my smaller inner ear cavity thus earbuds being not exactly my cup of tea, but I still was able to get an acceptable level of balanced sound without any assistance from me pushing on these earbuds from outside. Overall I would describe it as having a mid-forward smooth sound signature. Bass is definitely there with a nice polite slower attack of mid-bass punch and some sub-bass texture. It does gets stronger as I push on earbuds, but for me personally (consider the fitment I have to live with) - bass presence was adequate. Mids are smooth, warm, with a full body. Upper mids are clear by not detailed. The delivery of vocals are lush and smooth with a laid back feeling. The same with a treble, smooth and clear, not too crisp or sparkly. Soundstage had plenty of width and depth, very airy and open. Also worth mentioning, no amping was required - LYRA 6 was really forgiving in terms of sound quality since its warm sound smoothed everything out.

Overall, this earbuds review experience turned out to be much better since I was actually able to get an acceptable seal to hear the sound to almost its full potential. I still not 100% sure if I got a full balance of the intended sound, but presence of the bass was a good indicator for me! I think the biggest strength of these earbuds is their luxurious design with a great fitment thanks to a built in earhook which looks more like a piece of art. Sound signature wasn't the greatest for the asking price of LYRA 6, which I assume going to be on par with original LYRA. Obviously, if you are looking for a nicely balanced sound with a clear bass, detailed mids, and crisp treble - LYRA 6 will not be able to deliver that. But if you want a smooth laidback warm sound with a wide soundstage, and a convenience of earbuds design with a sophisticated look - LYRA 6 will fit right in!

Here are the pictures (click to enlarge).

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #24 of 26
  Great review mate.

Interesting, it looks like Astrotec have taken a page out of the Bang and Olufsen book of design with that model!

That's exactly what I thought!  Reminded me of B&O as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back