Astrotec AX30, AX35 Hybrid IEMs Discussion Thread
May 16, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #151 of 196

I didn't bother with the dampers. Putting them on would also require gluing them to the plastic tube that extends from the BA driver. If you don't mind a slightly harsher sound in the treble (but more apparent resolution), then don't bother with the damper. Use a lower value in-line resistor to make up for the excess treble. It won't be as smooth, of course, but the result is still much better than stock.

This is what I've done: Taped all vents and done a smaller hole in the vents on the back. In addition I use a 50 ohm in-line resistor and Philips Fildelio S2 tips. The result is much more enjoyable (to me) than stock configuration. Mids are more forward and bass is less boomy 
o2smile.gif

May 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #152 of 196
Thanks tomscy2000 and peter123. What tape are you using? I tried using scotch tape, but don't get a good seal on the vent nearest the nozzle.

tomscy2000: Do you know if the nozzle unscrews easily to provide access to the front of the BA driver?

And I mentioned this earlier, but when I removed the mesh nozzle covers my AX35 only had acoustic tubing on the BA driver in one earpiece. The other earpiece didn't have the acoustic tubing. So I removed the acoustic tubing, so they'd be the same internally. Doesn't seem like it makes a major difference one way or the other. Should it?

May 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #153 of 196
I had the same problem with scotch tape on the front vents so now I'm using some electric tape on them. Doesn't look the best but I can live with it :wink:

May 16, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #154 of 196
Most any hardware store will have aluminum tape used for ducts (its basically aluminum foil). It sticks like crazy to just about everything. It would probably match well with the metal housings. You would end up with a huge duct tape size roll and use hardly any but it comes in handy for tons of other uses.

Unrelated, I've been listening to my ax-35's for a week now and I'm thoroughly enjoying them. I've done a few a/b comparisons with my other regular headphones like AKG K702 and my gaming headset which is a Sennheiser PC363d. With different amp/DAC combinations. I may end up trying the suggested mods just to see what happens but I don't feel like its a pressing necessity.

May 16, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #155 of 196
I grabbed some silver duct tape at work and used that. Worked well for blocking the vent holes. Mid bass takes. Sub bass better. Can't tell where the rear vent hole is to poke a hole, though, due to tape's thickness. Maybe the aluminum tape would be better for that...

And you should try the mods Kinetikx. They really do further improve SQ.

May 21, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #158 of 196
Thanks @tomscy2000 and @peter123. What tape are you using? I tried using scotch tape, but don't get a good seal on the vent nearest the nozzle.

@tomscy2000: Do you know if the nozzle unscrews easily to provide access to the front of the BA driver?

And I mentioned this earlier, but when I removed the mesh nozzle covers my AX35 only had acoustic tubing on the BA driver in one earpiece. The other earpiece didn't have the acoustic tubing. So I removed the acoustic tubing, so they'd be the same internally. Doesn't seem like it makes a major difference one way or the other. Should it?

I use scotch tape too. If I want an optimum seal, I have to change the tape every few days. No, it doesn't. Only the AX60 one unscrews.

May 22, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #160 of 196
The more I listen to my modded AX35 the more I like them. They're are constantly climbing in my IEM hierarchy and are now moving towards the top :)

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #162 of 196
I've found a simple way of "improving" the sound On my ax-35.

Using the results obtained by Rin's mods I preferred more bass in my iem which is achieved by sealing off the front vent. However That increases it too much. By coincidence the silicone tips can wrap around the housing. It creates a more controlled bass and I seems to have better detailing on instruments, particularly cymbals.

1) Place stock silicone tip on backwards until they "click" in place (any size)
2) turn the tip inside out whilst on the iem
3) Ensure the ends wraps around the housing (except the small tips)
4) insert the stock foam tips over the existing silicone tips. The tube section of the tips will be exposed to allow the foam tips to slot in. Alternately trim the inner tube of the silicone tips to allow the iem to be nearer to the ear which sounds better IMO.

Results-

General: More bass, slight decrease in sibilance, soundstage still as wide but set further apart due to the increased distance from the actual iem. 

Small tips: bass response mildly increased, sibilance reduced slightly. 

Medium tips: slightly larger bass increase, same sibilance reduction. For me this hits a sweet spot which I enjoy

Large tips: again a little more, same sibilance reduction (although harder to perceive over the bass)

Complete removal of sibilance: take out the tubes attached to the ba driver. Of course you sacrifice a bit of treble in the process.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #163 of 196
Just bought these off a forum member for what to me felt a good price. So far Rachmaninoff sounds enjoyable on my initial listen with a rockbox clip, will read the thread and post more later. I'm assuming I'll hear an upgrade when I try it with the X3.

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #165 of 196
I bought them basically as a decent beater pair, I'm trying to baby my Dunu DN-K. I'll spend some time learning how these sound before I think about playing with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back