ASTRO Mixamp x JVC SU-DH1 x Other?
Sep 29, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #16 of 28
I had a JVC SU-DH1 which I sold on this forum for half its price for two reasons.
First although it decoded Dolby Digital and DTS, it had no power as amplifier for my can. Mixamp as an amp is more powerful.
The second reason is that it has no chat support whatsoever.

Quote:
Indeed it is true... sorround sound is very important for immersion both in games and movies (from quality sources).

Thanks for your input. I'm afraind I can't afford anything more expensive than mixamp, and full size stuff sounds like heavy and big boxes to me, which means high shipping and taxes fees, which don't please my ears at all.

From the reviews I read about the JVC device, most people says it sounds well, and better than mixamp for movies, the only concern is to order the japanese version, since the north-american one lacks a power calbe or something like that. I'll keep researching and post here if I find something interesting.

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #17 of 28
The American version  apparently lacks a plug for a power supply, which means you're limited to batteries you have to replace all the time, ouch.

I don't think I've heard a $100-150 headphone amp that's really worth the money... Most headphones I've heard are either efficient and don't benefit enough from an amp or too power hungry and need something more than in the $250+ range. Plus a lot of other equipment - integrated receivers, hi-fi preamps, many DACs have decent headphone outputs, so if I were to get a dedicated headphone amp, it'd be a really good one.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #18 of 28
I forgot to mention that despite not coming with a power adapter included in the package, one can buy the power adapter online. the specification is 3V and 0.5A

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:
Shike, could you give some exemple of a decent amp? How much does it cost? Is this Grado enough:?

That link doesn't go to a Grado.  An amp for the K601s isn't too hard to find, some portable amps like the Mini^3 can drive them without clipping.  For a desktop amp you could look for an AV123 X-Head, Cute Beyond, or a Schiit Asgard.  The X-Head would be the most affordable of those.

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #20 of 28
So mixamp can act as a stand alone decoder/amp while SUDH1 needs an amp to perform at acceptable levels.

Quote:
I had a JVC SU-DH1 which I sold on this forum for half its price for two reasons.
First although it decoded Dolby Digital and DTS, it had no power as amplifier for my can. Mixamp as an amp is more powerful.
The second reason is that it has no chat support whatsoever.

I understend your point of view, but some people unfortunately can buy something that expensive and import it, since customs taxes would be very high. With this in mind, I was looking for an amp just to "keep things together" while I save some money to buy something more expensive.

In your opinion, I should avoid purchasing a not so good amp in the $100 price range and save money instead, to buy a better one?

Quote:
The American version  apparently lacks a plug for a power supply, which means you're limited to batteries you have to replace all the time, ouch.

I don't think I've heard a $100-150 headphone amp that's really worth the money... Most headphones I've heard are either efficient and don't benefit enough from an amp or too power hungry and need something more than in the $250+ range. Plus a lot of other equipment - integrated receivers, hi-fi preamps, many DACs have decent headphone outputs, so if I were to get a dedicated headphone amp, it'd be a really good one.

Yeah, my bad, I ment Bravo, not Grado, sorry.

I'd like to buy a desktop amp, since I don't mind about portability, but then again I lack money for such a purchase, so I guess I'll have to stick with less expensive things for now. What is the K601s you mentioned?

Quote:
Quote:
Shike, could you give some exemple of a decent amp? How much does it cost? Is this Grado enough:?

That link doesn't go to a Grado.  An amp for the K601s isn't too hard to find, some portable amps like the Mini^3 can drive them without clipping.  For a desktop amp you could look for an AV123 X-Head, Cute Beyond, or a Schiit Asgard.  The X-Head would be the most affordable of those.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #21 of 28

Quote:

What is the K601s you mentioned?

Headphones, I accidentally got you mixed up with someone PMing me about a similar question and buying K601s.  Sorry.

To suggest an amp it's best to know what headphones you plan on using with it.  If you're going with the Mixamp though then you may not even need an external amp anyway - that's if you used the SU-DH1.

Sep 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #22 of 28

Oh, sorry for not providing enough information. I'm looking for some DT-880s or DT-770, either the 600 or 250 ohms version, depending on price and availability in a store where I live.
Quote:

Headphones, I accidentally got you mixed up with someone PMing me about a similar question and buying K601s.  Sorry.

To suggest an amp it's best to know what headphones you plan on using with it.  If you're going with the Mixamp though then you may not even need an external amp anyway - that's if you used the SU-DH1.

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #23 of 28
600 ohm may be too much for the mixamp

Quote:
Oh, sorry for not providing enough information. I'm looking for some DT-880s or DT-770, either the 600 or 250 ohms version, depending on price and availability in a store where I live.

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #26 of 28

that was my first setup. when i bought my sennheiser hd600 and mixamp, I bought a bravo to help, sure it increases volume but I don't think it is good for music quality.
Quote:
What if I use a PA2V2 or a Bravo, Indeed or something similar selling on eBay for around U$80 amp to drive the 600 ohm DTs? Would the sound experience be any enjoyable?

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:
that was my first setup. when i bought my sennheiser hd600 and mixamp, I bought a bravo to help, sure it increases volume but I don't think it is good for music quality.

The PA2V2 would also probably clip quite a bit.  Is the tube the actual output device on the Bravo?  If so does anyone know the voltage swing on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back