Asthetically damaged Grado GS1000i - Repair Suggestions
Jan 4, 2011 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Snedie

New Head-Fier
So,

Today my dog decided it was wise to get caught in the cable for my Grado GS1000i headphones, and during his shenanigans he has managed to pull one of the Headphones from the Headband.

There is no damage at all to the phone itself, but I am unable to re-attach it to the headband: It just falls right back off. Now I will be posting pictures as soon as my friend comes back from his driving lesson (He has a good camera) so you can see exactly what the problem is.

What I am looking for is any one who has experience repairing headphones that can provide any tips or suggestions on what I should do to repair them. I am more than happy to have them sent away to be repaired, but if it is a matter of simply using a small drop of Epoxy Resin than that makes life that much simpler.

Than you in advance for any help. 
darthsmile.gif

EDIT - Added a photo: Taken with phone camera.     What you can see here is the joint that has come loose. In the picture it is back in, but as mentioned it does fall straight back out again.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 10
sorry for the simplicity of my answer here but my SR-80's dropped the left ear-cup at the same spot yours has about 6 months ago, i superglued it back on and it hasn't budged since. might be a little cheap fix for a pair of GS1000 but so long as your put enough on it will NOT move.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 10
So the problem is here? If so...you should be able to pop the plastic piece apart...re-situate the band, and pop the plastic back together...gluing it if needed. I'm assuming that there is a hole or two in the metal band and some plastic tabs fit in to the hole(s) to keep the band from sliding out of the plastic piece. If the tab(s) are broken...contact Grado/Alessandro and they should be able to get you a new piece.

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 10
Sorry, the joint that has broken is here:

I believe that most Grado headphones use an almost identical method for mounting the headband to the phones. I just don't want to use any strong sovent based glue's that may damage any of the plastic around the joint. The interior of the joint is metal, aluminum I think. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Thanks,

I wasn't aware that Grado provided a repair service. I live in the UK but will definitely look into this.

ooh...the shipping won't be very cheap from the UK to the US with insurance and all especially since they aren't exactly small

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I got a much better picture now that clearly shows the problem.

if the price of the repair/shipping isn't too much, I'd still send it to grado

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Dab a litle epoxy on there and be done with it.  Why go through the hassle/time/money of sending it back when a few pounds and a couple of minutes will do the trick?

I had to fix my RS-1's that way, but had to get a epoxy that worked with both wood and metal.  But it looks like in your case, all you'd need is metal epoxy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back