Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Nov 18, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #2,521 of 2,749
Thanks, comrades!

I've recently upgraded from AK jr, which has a beautiful sound but an awful battery—one of the reasons I chose SR25 MKII. It came with the latest firmware (1.20). I paired it with Shure SE846 Gen2 (red filters). So far, so good... It sounds great. BTW, anybody has the exact slider positions of a 'normal' equalizer? I want to replicate its scheme and make additional tuning for my taste.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #2,522 of 2,749
Thanks, comrades!

I've recently upgraded from AK jr, which has a beautiful sound but an awful battery—one of the reasons I chose SR25 MKII. It came with the latest firmware (1.20). I paired it with Shure SE846 Gen2 (red filters). So far, so good... It sounds great. BTW, anybody has the exact slider positions of a 'normal' equalizer? I want to replicate its scheme and make additional tuning for my taste.
You can start here https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
maybe you will like the result or maybe not. Also please share your experience with the EQ

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #2,524 of 2,749
Thanks, comrades!

What do you mean by 'normal' equalizer? Just flat? Or special curve for your earphones that makes them flat? If you need flat eq just create a new eq profile and it will start from flat position.

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #2,527 of 2,749
Also please share your experience with the EQ
I spent quite a lot of time optimizing. I found that going over 0.0 dB made the sound unpleasant to my ears, getting tired of the music too quickly. So these are the equalizer settings I settled on:

Attachments

• 1669143583083.jpg
    1669143583083.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 25, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #2,528 of 2,749
I upgraded from 120II
The sound on sr25 is less detailed especially treble, missing the grain I like in the 120II.
Another thing I hate is the file storage.
On the 120II i have all in files, artist names and inside, albums oldest first, nothing else, no "eq setting" or "images" or "music".
I deleted those files on the sr25 but each time you turn it on again, the files come back.
Maybe the best choice for me will be to find a modded 120II or 240 for more powerful balanced line, the very best would be a 4.4 balanced line, but if this means complicated device with lots of useless functions...
I think I can fix that issue by renaming entirely the files, for example
"pink floyd"
"animals"
you have to change for "1977 - animals" directly in the metadata informations.
Also, for electronic music, remove all the secondary artists, to get only one single result, for exemple "armin van buuren"

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #2,529 of 2,749
I too just picked up a new SR25mkII, I'm pretty happy with it so far (I've been using a WM1A but I wanted to stream Apple Music but wanted the least exposure to Android possible). I just transferred the SD card from the Sony and all my album art is still there. I like the form factor alot and the UI is responsive and sensible. The Sony has a better quality screen and I really miss the ability to group by album artist (a common problem in Android media players). The VU & spectrum visualizers were also kind of nice on the Sony too but for $599 I think the A&K is a good unit.

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #2,530 of 2,749
Are there any custom firmware for SR 25 ? one that can enable the dac filters, my hunch it is using slow roll off filter, have nothing to proof it though, just thinking that if we can change the filter would be a great addition

Nov 27, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #2,531 of 2,749
Are there any custom firmware for SR 25 ? one that can enable the dac filters, my hunch it is using slow roll off filter, have nothing to proof it though, just thinking that if we can change the filter would be a great addition
Don't think A&K players allow for this kind of customisation, I've never found anything like this on the SR25 at least, their OS is locked down pretty tight.

Other players definitely do offer all sorts of DSP tweaking, for eg the HiBy Darwin OS has so many options it can be kind of overwhelming. I sometimes forget that I've enabled some filter somewhere depending on what IEM I was listening to last, and wonder why a different IEM sounds "off" until I hunt through all of the settings.

A&K seem to take the 'less is more' approach, which is kind of refreshing by comparison..

Nov 27, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #2,532 of 2,749
Don't think A&K players allow for this kind of customisation, I've never found anything like this on the SR25 at least, their OS is locked down pretty tight.

Other players definitely do offer all sorts of DSP tweaking, for eg the HiBy Darwin OS has so many options it can be kind of overwhelming. I sometimes forget that I've enabled some filter somewhere depending on what IEM I was listening to last, and wonder why a different IEM sounds "off" until I hunt through all of the settings.

A&K seem to take the 'less is more' approach, which is kind of refreshing by comparison..
I think the SR25 does not have this ability (I only had its predecessor, SR15, which did not). However, this is not the case across A&K players. I now use an A&K Kann Max, and it has a variety of settings for the DAC including the choice of several different filters.

So no, A&K doesn't shun this approach, they just don't include it in the starter model. And honestly, I've played around with them but hear very little difference.

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #2,533 of 2,749
I just upgraded from a 15 to a SR25 - I see there is an Bliss that will add missing artwork but for each "album" is it just a case of dropping a jpeg in there with the audio files ? I just tested it with a jpeg called Cover and it seemed to work......if there is more than one jpeg is there any way to scroll through them whilst playing the audio file ?

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #2,534 of 2,749
Hello all,
I have a SR25 MKII but i'm getting a weird issue, when trying to copy an album using Android file transfer on my Mac, multiple "Albums" are being created in the player, one for each track of the album, this is happening with one particular album only.
I wish there was a proper procedure to transfer file from Mac to AK, coming from Cowon, things were way smoother in that regards..
Apart from that, this is a very nice player,
Edit : It might be due to the fact that this album has a different Artist for each track..

Thanks for your help,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back