Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jan 9, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #2,536 of 2,755
Hello all,
I have a SR25 MKII but i'm getting a weird issue, when trying to copy an album using Android file transfer on my Mac, multiple "Albums" are being created in the player, one for each track of the album, this is happening with one particular album only.
I wish there was a proper procedure to transfer file from Mac to AK, coming from Cowon, things were way smoother in that regards..
Apart from that, this is a very nice player,
Edit : It might be due to the fact that this album has a different Artist for each track..

Thanks for your help,
do the track names happen to have a '/' in them

Jan 9, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #2,537 of 2,755
Hello all,
I have a SR25 MKII but i'm getting a weird issue, when trying to copy an album using Android file transfer on my Mac, multiple "Albums" are being created in the player, one for each track of the album, this is happening with one particular album only.
I wish there was a proper procedure to transfer file from Mac to AK, coming from Cowon, things were way smoother in that regards..
Edit : It might be due to the fact that this album has a different Artist for each track..

Thanks for your help,

Maybe try "Various Artists" for the album artist tags... Not 100% sure but sometimes that works.

Jan 9, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #2,538 of 2,755
hello,can i use ak sr25ii as amplifier from laptop audeze headphones connected?
Well, yes you can, in that you will hear sound in your headphones, but I wouldn't expect it to be optimal. What specific Audeze headphone do you have?

tbh, in the 2+ years I've owned both the SR25 and LCD-2C, I've never been bothered getting a 3.5mm cable to try using them with each other, as I know I would be disappointed compared to using the LCD-2C with one of my desktop amps. I am extrapolating this conclusion based on my experience with other harder-to-drive headphones and IEMs like the Cascade and IER-Z1R that deliver significantly better dynamic range when driven with something like my Asgard3 or Jotunheim2.

Thing is, if you are using your laptop, you are kind of negating several key features of the DAP, eg it's own local music library, dedicated streaming ability, and portability, so for your use case I reckon you are better off either with something transportable like the iFi Diablo or EarMen Angel (featured on the home page today, actually https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/earmen-angel.25952/reviews#review-29930), or a dedicated desktop DAC/Amp. I like the Schiit stuff, but Topping and a few others are pretty good too.

Jan 10, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #2,539 of 2,755
Well, yes you can, in that you will hear sound in your headphones, but I wouldn't expect it to be optimal. What specific Audeze headphone do you have?

tbh, in the 2+ years I've owned both the SR25 and LCD-2C, I've never been bothered getting a 3.5mm cable to try using them with each other, as I know I would be disappointed compared to using the LCD-2C with one of my desktop amps. I am extrapolating this conclusion based on my experience with other harder-to-drive headphones and IEMs like the Cascade and IER-Z1R that deliver significantly better dynamic range when driven with something like my Asgard3 or Jotunheim2.

Thing is, if you are using your laptop, you are kind of negating several key features of the DAP, eg it's own local music library, dedicated streaming ability, and portability, so for your use case I reckon you are better off either with something transportable like the iFi Diablo or EarMen Angel (featured on the home page today, actually https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/earmen-angel.25952/reviews#review-29930), or a dedicated desktop DAC/Amp. I like the Schiit stuff, but Topping and a few others are pretty good too.
i have lcd-2c CB closed back. still waiting order. but tried it on local shop before order with adapter 6.35-3.5mm. sound at 105-110 is very good. maks sound is 150. at balanced 4.4 or 2.5 it will be optimum? or anyway need amplifier ?

Jan 10, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #2,541 of 2,755

aermen-angel has balanced 4.4mm output or 6.35mm?

Jan 10, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #2,542 of 2,755
i have lcd-2c CB closed back. still waiting order. but tried it on local shop before order with adapter 6.35-3.5mm. sound at 105-110 is very good. maks sound is 150. at balanced 4.4 or 2.5 it will be optimum? or anyway need amplifier ?
Listening for yourself is always the best test of any gear, so if you’ve heard the pairing already and are happy with it, that’s the main thing. The LCD-CB uses the same driver as the 2C, and i do know from using mine with various amps that the planar magnetic driver definitely scales very well with more power, which is why i’d recommend a more powerful DAC/Amp. If there is any way you can hear that headphone with other amps, it might be worth your while to hear for yourself.
difference balanced and unbalanced outputs is only balanced has 2x more power?
Typically, yes. Output impedance can also differ, but probably not enough as you’d notice with the LCD-CB.
aermen-angel has balanced 4.4mm output or 6.35mm?
4.4mm I believe.

I don’t mean to confuse your purchase here, and I do think the SR25 is a fine DAP for driving less-demanding gear, IEMs in particular. It’s just that if you are looking for a trans/portable solution to use with your laptop to drive the LCD-CB, there are probably better options at a similar price point.

Jan 10, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #2,543 of 2,755
Hello all,

Thanks for your help,
Try looking the entire album with Tag Editor: https://amvidia.com/tag-editor
Often times when I see this with mine it's because something in one of the fields is very different either Artist or Album Artist, which then means things get out of whack. I do wish the experience with macOS was better to be honest. I have to disable the Android File Transfer utility when I need my Garmin GPS to sync with basecamp (a Garmin application) because it's also Android-based and AFT captures the unit before the Garmin software can.
But look at things with Tag Editor, also understand that depending on what mode you're trying to sort things from, it just might be like that... Artists vs. Album on the SR25 MKII.

Jan 10, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #2,544 of 2,755
Listening for yourself is always the best test of any gear, so if you’ve heard the pairing already and are happy with it, that’s the main thing. The LCD-CB uses the same driver as the 2C, and i do know from using mine with various amps that the planar magnetic driver definitely scales very well with more power, which is why i’d recommend a more powerful DAC/Amp. If there is any way you can hear that headphone with other amps, it might be worth your while to hear for yourself.

Typically, yes. Output impedance can also differ, but probably not enough as you’d notice with the LCD-CB.

4.4mm I believe.

I don’t mean to confuse your purchase here, and I do think the SR25 is a fine DAP for driving less-demanding gear, IEMs in particular. It’s just that if you are looking for a trans/portable solution to use with your laptop to drive the LCD-CB, there are probably better options at a similar price point.
i have meze rai penta iems. they superior works with 3.5mm or 4.4mm balanced cable on sr25ii. tried lcd-2c cb and they works on 3.5mm uotput easy.

Jan 10, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #2,545 of 2,755
i have meze rai penta iems. they superior works with 3.5mm or 4.4mm balanced cable on sr25ii. tried lcd-2c cb and they works on 3.5mm easy.but maybe will better on 4.4mm output.need adapter or xlr-4.4mm cable. for lcd-2c cb need connect to laptop via portable amp/dac searching powered from pc-usb-c cable . does this works or too low power? must amp/dac powered from ac 220v?

Jan 10, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #2,546 of 2,755
Hi everyone, I just got an SR25 MKII and I absolutely love it. Nevertheless I have got some "problems" or wishes for improvement.

1. Is there any way to control playback (skip tracks, volume control) via Apple Watch?
2. My wifi reception is pretty weak with the SR25. Are there any settings or tricks to improve reception quality?
3. How do you carry the device around? In the pockets of your trousers or do you use something like a belt bag?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,
Chris

Jan 10, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #2,547 of 2,755
1: There's no control via the Apple Watch. Android and WatchOS don't play well together.
2: ?
3: I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I treat this thing like I would a iPod and just put it in my pocket, backpack, car, wherever.

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #2,548 of 2,755
Thank you very much. Is there an external remote that is compatible with the SR25 MKII. Something like an iPod shuffle that can be clipped to your shirt would be awesome. The I could leave the player in my pocket and don't have to take it out whenever I want to skip a song or adjust volume.

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #2,549 of 2,755
Thank you very much. Is there an external remote that is compatible with the SR25 MKII. Something like an iPod shuffle that can be clipped to your shirt would be awesome. The I could leave the player in my pocket and don't have to take it out whenever I want to skip a song or adjust volume.
Any Bluetooth media remote should work with any AK player without issue. Users in other AK threads have used a number of cheap remotes found on Amazon. I don't have a list of ones that have been used.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 17, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #2,550 of 2,755
Any Bluetooth media remote should work with any AK player without issue. Users in other AK threads have used a number of cheap remotes found on Amazon. I don't have a list of ones that have been used.
I've used a bluetooth app from my Android cellphone, and it works with the SR25. Stop, play, pause, skip forward/back, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back