Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Feb 4, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #1,276 of 2,755
It squeezed down on the power button so I had to use a swiss army knife tool to stretch that a bit. Did you have similar issues?
No. I have not noticed any added pressure of case over power button.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,277 of 2,755
I got mine yesterday. I love it, tilted screen and all. In fact I think it is a work of art and this can teach the makers of smartphones a thing or two. The sound to me is beautiful, detailed and caresses the ears. It makes you want to listen more and more.

The only slight beauty spot is when loading apps. I get why they would not want a full blown android system with all the battery draining that involves but getting Tidal onto this was a pain. I tried to do this while at work and ran into various stumbling blocks. The AK didn't like the version of Tidal I was trying to download and when I finally had Tidal on it and logged on an error message appeared. I am computer literate and I never give up so this turned into a battle royal with factory resets, attempting to use different versions of Tidal, etc... I then took it home and everything worked first try once there. I think the company I work for has some kind of fire wall setting that got in the way. This is no fault of AK.

If there is anything to criticize about the sound I feel like it errs very slightly towards to polite side of the spectrum rather than the aggressive side. That is perfectly fine with me, and will probably be a bonus for long listening sessions.

So, in short, this thing is totally awesome, beautiful build, design and it sounds gorgeous. The price is excellent for what you get.
Does the version of Tidal you used allow downloading for offline use. I got my SR25 yesterday. It has a “lite” version of Tidal preinstalled. I watch the videos, read the blogs on loading a new Tidal xapk. I used the one from apkPure. It transferred ok to the open service folder, but when I open Services on the Sr25 it does not show it in the apk list. It does not ask me install anything like the videos and blogs say it should. I have deleted reloaded etc. I wonder if there is another file I should be using, or another step to get the player to see the file. Just wondering where you got your Tidal apk.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,278 of 2,755
Does the version of Tidal you used allow downloading for offline use. I got my SR25 yesterday. It has a “lite” version of Tidal preinstalled. I watch the videos, read the blogs on loading a new Tidal xapk. I used the one from apkPure. It transferred ok to the open service folder, but when I open Services on the Sr25 it does not show it in the apk list. It does not ask me install anything like the videos and blogs say it should. I have deleted reloaded etc. I wonder if there is another file I should be using, or another step to get the player to see the file. Just wondering where you got your Tidal apk.
You also need xapk Installer, that will allow you to load apk's on the device.
https://apkpure.com/xapk-installer/com.apkpure.installer

Then on the SR25 , open xapk Installer, which will allow you to manage apk's on the device.

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #1,279 of 2,755
I had the same problem until i've realized that i was not loading the correct version... I don't remembered which one works as i left Tidal but it was not the latest available for sure... Hope it helps...

Feb 8, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #1,281 of 2,755
Hello,

New to head-fi on the occasion of the purchase at the end of December of an SR25, I have a question relating to the protective cover.
As the A&K cover or the Dignis cover were not available quickly in France, I ordered a low cost cover from the "Case & Sir" brand on amazon.fr in order to protect the precious DAP as quickly as possible.

https://www.amazon.fr/Sir-Couverture-similicuir-Astell-marine/dp/B08BLWNY9L

I do however encounter a difficulty with this cover as it makes it difficult to swipe the home screen up and down to display the notification bar as well as to the right and left to display the playlist.

Before ordering a better quality cover, I wanted to check with the community that the Dignis cover or the A&K cover did not in any way interfere with these scans on the home screen?

Thank you in advance for your point of view.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #1,282 of 2,755
Hello,

New to head-fi on the occasion of the purchase at the end of December of an SR25, I have a question relating to the protective cover.
As the A&K cover or the Dignis cover were not available quickly in France, I ordered a low cost cover from the "Case & Sir" brand on amazon.fr in order to protect the precious DAP as quickly as possible.

I do however encounter a difficulty with this cover as it makes it difficult to swipe the home screen up and down to display the notification bar as well as to the right and left to display the playlist.

Before ordering a better quality cover, I wanted to check with the community that the Dignis cover or the A&K cover did not in any way interfere with these scans on the home screen?

I've had no issues with this with the Dignis case and the SR25. Looking at the product page you provided however, the cut out for the screen dimensions look very similar / the same? It may be that the Dignis case hugs the player more tightly?

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #1,283 of 2,755
Hello,

I've had no issues with this with the Dignis case and the SR25. Looking at the product page you provided however, the cut out for the screen dimensions look very similar / the same? It may be that the Dignis case hugs the player more tightly?
The Dignis case is thinner than the official Astell&Kern case. For the former, I have little to no difficulty in swiping down. For the latter, I had difficulty in swiping down to open the notifications bar. Maybe the official case and the Case & Sir case are made of the same material?

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,284 of 2,755
Many thanks for your feedback. For the cover, I will therefore order a Dignis.

I also thought that the ergonomics problem with my "Case & Sir" cover was due to one of the thickness.
Nothing to say about the cut which seems perfect to me.

I told myself this discomfort was perhaps also accentuated by the screen protection. When I unpacked, I installed the one that came in the box, but I would have preferred glass protection. For the screen protection, I had also deferred the purchase of a glass protection because the references offered by amazon.fr in December only related to classic protections.

On my other DAP (ZX300), I really noticed the difference when I replaced the classic screen protector with a glass protector. The appearance is more flattering to me, and the glass covers are usually less prone to fingerprints. I will try to find one for the SR25.

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #1,285 of 2,755
Many thanks for your feedback. For the cover, I will therefore order a Dignis.

I also thought that the ergonomics problem with my "Case & Sir" cover was due to one of the thickness.
Nothing to say about the cut which seems perfect to me.

I told myself this discomfort was perhaps also accentuated by the screen protection. When I unpacked, I installed the one that came in the box, but I would have preferred glass protection. For the screen protection, I had also deferred the purchase of a glass protection because the references offered by amazon.fr in December only related to classic protections.

On my other DAP (ZX300), I really noticed the difference when I replaced the classic screen protector with a glass protector. The appearance is more flattering to me, and the glass covers are usually less prone to fingerprints. I will try to find one for the SR25.
Just to clarify, my report of the usability of the Dignis case was with a screen protector on.

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #1,286 of 2,755
Just to clarify, my report of the usability of the Dignis case was with a screen protector on.

Thank you. I will give you my feedback when I have received the Dignis cover.

To facilitate access to notifications with any cover, it might be enough simply for the firmware to provide that the area to be swiped down on the screen to bring up the notification bar is just a little higher.

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #1,287 of 2,755
Hi everyone,

I stumbled across issues logging in to Tidal using the open app (2.36.2) on my SR25 with firmware 1.40. It has been working fine up until yesterday when I automatically logged out (happens from time to time). However, this time I was not able to login again. I tried to clear the cache and then also force stop the service without success. Then I tried to remove and reinstall the old version of the app (the very same that I was using without any problem 2.33.5 without success).

So even though I start fresh with cleared cache and other versions it seems like the problem persist ("Something went wrong. Please try again. If the error persists, contact customer support.") This error message appears in a pinkish box on top of the screen.

What I have read in some forums is that there is a function within the android OS that block ads system wide that on some phones need to be turned on. In the A&K SR25 this is not accessible so I can not investigate further. The embedded app of Tidal works just fine but I would very much like to continue to use the open service to be able to download offline content.

Does anyone recognize this issue and have a solution?

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #1,288 of 2,755
Hi everyone,

I stumbled across issues logging in to Tidal using the open app (2.36.2) on my SR25 with firmware 1.40. It has been working fine up until yesterday when I automatically logged out (happens from time to time). However, this time I was not able to login again. I tried to clear the cache and then also force stop the service without success. Then I tried to remove and reinstall the old version of the app (the very same that I was using without any problem 2.33.5 without success).

So even though I start fresh with cleared cache and other versions it seems like the problem persist ("Something went wrong. Please try again. If the error persists, contact customer support.") This error message appears in a pinkish box on top of the screen.

What I have read in some forums is that there is a function within the android OS that block ads system wide that on some phones need to be turned on. In the A&K SR25 this is not accessible so I can not investigate further. The embedded app of Tidal works just fine but I would very much like to continue to use the open service to be able to download offline content.

Does anyone recognize this issue and have a solution?
Hi!

Having the same issue on my SR25. There is a discussion already started around this on the SE200 forum: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...multiple-dacs-head-fi-tv.935878/post-16152558

Suggested work-around for now is to log in via facebook, which seem to work for some people. Also, the issue is acknowledged by A&K and they're "on it".

Kind regards,

Feb 9, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #1,289 of 2,755
Hi!

Having the same issue on my SR25. There is a discussion already started around this on the SE200 forum: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...multiple-dacs-head-fi-tv.935878/post-16152558

Suggested work-around for now is to log in via facebook, which seem to work for some people. Also, the issue is acknowledged by A&K and they're "on it".

Kind regards,
Thanks for the quick response @blancqua . I have tried Facebook and Apple login as well. Unfortunately without success. I will follow the other thread and hope that they are able to find a solution soon.

Best regards,

// Erik

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,290 of 2,755
Thanks for the quick response @blancqua . I have tried Facebook and Apple login as well. Unfortunately without success. I will follow the other thread and hope that they are able to find a solution soon.

Best regards,

// Erik
Unfortunately it is an issue on Tidal's end affecting many different Android-based devices, not just AK. There are a number of posts on other DAP threads, for example from one of the Hiby threads - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hiby-r6-2020-user-impressions.945843/post-16164485

The embedded Tidal app should work without issue as it uses a different authentication method than the Android APK.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back