Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jan 15, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #1,246 of 2,749
Hi Jason,

I can’t see “Sign In to WiFi“ message then even updated to FW 1.30, anything I can try? Any simple browser can be installed via OpenApp for login purpose?
You can try doing a settings reset and see if the message then pops up when you try to connect to an access point that requires login.

Please note, a settings reset will reset all settings, including any apps you have installed and all offline content saved from streaming apps, but will not erase files stored in internal memory or microSD card. Once the player restarts, it will preform a media scan to reindex all of your files stored on the player and microSD card.

If you want to wait, I will try and jump in the car later and drive somewhere where I need to log into Wi-Fi via web page and document it better for you. I do it all the time when I am traveling, but not having traveled in close to a year, it has been a while since I did it.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jan 15, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #1,247 of 2,749
I have had my SR25 for a couple weeks and am finally loading my music collection on it. Is there good documentation on available on how to do this most effectively? For example, I want to move my music from from internal storage to my SD card (or I think I do - does it matter?), I am getting only a 50% hit on the album art, the music went into the EQList folder - does that matter?, how do get rid of Rebecca Pidgeon :), etc.

In general, I am pleased with the device. The Android OS is pretty fast, I am streaming Qobuz without a problem, and it sounds great with my IEMs.

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #1,248 of 2,749
You can try doing a settings reset and see if the message then pops up when you try to connect to an access point that requires login.

Please note, a settings reset will reset all settings, including any apps you have installed and all offline content saved from streaming apps, but will not erase files stored in internal memory or microSD card. Once the player restarts, it will preform a media scan to reindex all of your files stored on the player and microSD card.

If you want to wait, I will try and jump in the car later and drive somewhere where I need to log into Wi-Fi via web page and document it better for you. I do it all the time when I am traveling, but not having traveled in close to a year, it has been a while since I did it.

Thank you so much Jason!

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,249 of 2,749
Looking for some help with album art. I've brought in 30 albums and am missing the album art for 8 of them. Also odd is when I look under Artist the count says 3 known and 27 unknown artists, yet when I select those "Unknown" artists most of the albums artists are correctly identified.

Doing several manual media scans made no difference. I suppose the next step is to wipe out all the music and start again. Okay, but that solution won't work when I load my full collection.

Any suggestions? btw, one of the albums missing art is Dark Side of the Moon. C'mon, I can't walk away without fixing that!! :triportsad:

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #1,251 of 2,749
@TjFont, add album cover directly to files (in corresponding tag). If it's already there - try to change its resolution to something like 500x500.
Great freeware utility for such operations - TagScanner (https://www.xdlab.ru/en/index.htm).
@punknotyet Thanks for the advice. I assume that you suggest doing this before I load the music into the SR25 ... I use an app for the Mac called Tag Editor so I will give it a try. I have also loaded the same music files into a cloud music storage service called VOX and the art came across.

Trial and error I suppose ...

Update: the cause of my artwork issues was the source. I was working from an older set of files that was missing artwork and other tags. User error.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #1,252 of 2,749
1.30 firmware just rolled out. A bit disappointing list of improvements here considering last update was in July 2020.

20210119_223532.jpg

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #1,254 of 2,749
Just this morning I have updated to 1.4. But can’t find anywhere to know what’s new?
System stability, 1.3 may have inadvertently introduced a bug or simply a new bug was found and resolved.

Q-6

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #1,255 of 2,749
Hi all, I am using a 2020 LCD-2 with SR25. I can't help but feel that the bass is a bit compromised. All else sounds excellent. Am I right in thinking this/ do the DAP and headphone specs support this hunch that the bass is not being presented to its full potential? I don't want to look for a different set up if this is as good as it will get or if the differences will be marginal as this portable set up fits my needs perfectly. Thanks in advance!

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,256 of 2,749
Hi all, I am using a 2020 LCD-2 with SR25. I can't help but feel that the bass is a bit compromised. All else sounds excellent. Am I right in thinking this/ do the DAP and headphone specs support this hunch that the bass is not being presented to its full potential? I don't want to look for a different set up if this is as good as it will get or if the differences will be marginal as this portable set up fits my needs perfectly. Thanks in advance!
Are you using the balanced connection? If not that'll be a good place to start... it provide 2x the power over single ended.

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #1,257 of 2,749
Are you using the balanced connection? If not that'll be a good place to start... it provide 2x the power over single ended.
Great point. Yes, I am using balanced connection. I forgot to mention that my concern was compounded knowing that balanced should’ve helped with achieving more on the lower end but didn’t.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #1,258 of 2,749
Great point. Yes, I am using balanced connection. I forgot to mention that my concern was compounded knowing that balanced should’ve helped with achieving more on the lower end but didn’t.

Then yeah I'd imagine its underpowered. It is a big planar isn't it? I'd imagine something like a Kann Alpha or Cube would get that bass more up to spec.

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #1,259 of 2,749
Is that a planar headphone? The SR25 might not be enough for it. You could add a headphone amp, that may help. Or it could just be the synergy of the SR25 with that particular headphone.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #1,260 of 2,749
This arrived today. My first foray into A&K gear.

IMG_0038.jpg

I was apprehensive over the years due to the price versus functionality of these A&K players. A common complaint I've seen is the GUI wasn't the best compared to its competition. Originally I was even going to overlook the SR25 because I *was* not a fan of the angled display aesthetic when I first saw it on the SR15. But the claimed battery charge life of the SR25 and the limited edition Crimson Red variant hooked me. After coming across many reviews declaring the A&norma SR25 DAP of 2020 and seeing the presence of @JasonNYC engaged in this forum I was landed.

I am just a couple of hours away from actual listening to it so don't have comments on audio yet. However my initial impressions are overall positive. I like the look in person, better than viewing on computer screen via websites and the YouTube. I like the size and to hold it without a case isn't as bad I thought it would be considering its angular edged design. I have ordered a Dignis case for it on eBay. I applied the included screen & back protectors but they are not the greatest, might rip them off once the case arrives. The air pocket that is visible on the left side of screen (when player is in normal upright position) has been rubbed out now. :relieved:

When it arrived it came out of the box @ 50% charge. So I am topping it off as I write this post. I loaded a new 512GB Samsung SDCard with just a few albums to start with in case there is issue with the card itself. I've read, and became concerned, that the A&K SR25 require SD Cards formated to FAT32. I think that's ridiculously old-school. All my other hardware can and do utilize exFAT cards. So I left the Samsung card as exFAT, loaded albums (24-Bit FLAC & MQA) on to it, and put it into the SR25. When powered on it scanned for media and the SD Card was found and all albums are registered no problem. So that is a good sign so far.

IMG_0036.jpg

I also connected the DAP to my WiFi and once connected it reported there was a firmware update available. Yay, it's still supported! So once that downloaded and installed v1.40 f/w, it rescanned the the media again and all still looks okay. I will also look into using Tidal, Deezer HiFi, and Amazon Music HD on this now that's connected. I will also look into using this with my Schiit Magnius/Modius as source one of these days.

IMG_0039.jpg

My initial listening to get acquainted with the SR25 will be with my AKG N5005 w/ balanced cable. Then the process of trial and elimination will begin to determine best synergy. I love this hobby!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back