Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Sep 18, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #871 of 2,746
I ended up purchased an HEX v2, so I'm guessing I should be fine.

However, I'm realizing that (with the case on, at least) I often have a difficult time with pressing the correct back, pause and play buttons. It's truly annoying.

Anyone else have this issue?

Me too. I also find it very annoying.
please tell about the experience with the Hifiman!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #873 of 2,746
Me too. I also find it very annoying.
please tell about the experience with the Hifiman!

About 10 minutes ago I ended up cutting off the flap from the A&K case. Issue resolved. :)
It also looks pretty cool, but make sure you have a steady hand.

I'll post a picture in a bit.

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #874 of 2,746
I ended up purchased an HEX v2, so I'm guessing I should be fine.

However, I'm realizing that (with the case on, at least) I often have a difficult time with pressing the correct back, pause and play buttons. It's truly annoying.

Anyone else have this issue?
With the case on, only the pause button is bulged. Just press the bottom side of it to go to next song, upper side for the play back. :beyersmile:

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #875 of 2,746
Today I just remember that I have another pair of over ear Bluetooth with aptX. So give it a try and I love it.

Attachments

• 169F1EDB-BD32-4C21-B562-83052F1D6863.jpeg
    169F1EDB-BD32-4C21-B562-83052F1D6863.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #876 of 2,746
I own a FiiO M11 and now the SR25.
I am using DAPs so much that I wanted to have a second DAP to use in more "risky" places.
I like my M11 but it started acting up and I decided to use it by the pool, when working in the garage, when mowing the yard, etc.
As a side note, when I use it by the pool I put the DAP inside a sealed plastic bag!
This is a lessons learned since I lost a Sony to the bottom of my pool and that was not a good feeling.
I will use the SR25 as my primary DAP and will be more careful with it. Probably use it in the house or when driving only.
The only issue with this is maintaining the database the same between the two devices.
Good luck with your decision !
Puertex

Any brief thoughts pease coparing the Fiio M11 and the SR25? Please which is best?

Hi, I have seen you are from London. Under no circumstances I would recommend anybody to buy the European models, I believe that includes the UK, of the android Sony daps. They all have the volume capped in European models. I have the 55L, excellent basic dap. The volume cap can be removed in this model, it is not android. I had the 105 which I returned because of the capped volume and also poor battery.
I almost bought the 507 but I was going to import it from amazon Japan, that could have important consequences since you end up without warranty.
I like the Sony products very much but they have this severe limitation. I ended up buying the SR 25 and I am very pleased with sound, battery and functions.

I have the Sony ZX300. To be honest I do not mind the volume cap. On the volume scale, the volume cap is set to anything above 75. (Range from 0 to whatever 125; I actually don't know because I never turned it right up.)

With the volume cap though, I feel good. When I bought the DAP over two years ago now, I used to go over the volume cap. It meant about once a month I had to be interrupted and press OK to continue playing. (Volume cap checking on me.)

I did that for a long time. Then a while ago I got fed up with having every month to press OK to continue playing. I actually decided to leave volume at 75 and try it out, to avoid the volume cap reminders.

Two things came from that. It was nice not having the volume cap reminders. Secondly it was loud enough. Sometimes with quieter music and road noise it might not quite be enough. Overall volume was easily adequate. It feel 100% better knowing I am not risking my hearing. (That's the punchline.) I possibly love my DAP that little bit more now.

Whereas I realise now, I was using my DAP a bit loud. Hopefully I have not done even the smallest damage to my hearing. It's general advised too, to never turn music up to drown out other noise. I was doing that a little going over the volume cap. Even though I went only a very few points over the volume cap. Am still partly interested in an SR25 though. (Just wish it had a volume cap.)

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #877 of 2,746
I asked earlier about battery replacement, and was told that it's done cheaply by A&K. That's very fair, however where does it get done, and how do we get the SR25 back to A&K? I have googled for A&K UK, as I live in the UK. However there is no link to potentially use for battery replacement.

Ease of battery replacement will be part of a decision of whether I were to buy an SR25. Please does anyone know how one would go about sending the SR25 for battery replacement? Would it have to be shipped overseas to the manufacturer?

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #878 of 2,746
I asked earlier about battery replacement, and was told that it's done cheaply by A&K. That's very fair, however where does it get done, and how do we get the SR25 back to A&K? I have googled for A&K UK, as I live in the UK. However there is no link to potentially use for battery replacement.

Ease of battery replacement will be part of a decision of whether I were to buy an SR25. Please does anyone know how one would go about sending the SR25 for battery replacement? Would it have to be shipped overseas to the manufacturer?
For the UK, you would need to send the player to our EU repair center located in Germany. Your dealer could assist or you can contact the EU repair center directly to arrange repair through our online form at https://www.iriver.com/support/RMA_001.asp

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 18, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #879 of 2,746
Any brief thoughts pease coparing the Fiio M11 and the SR25? Please which is best?

I have the Sony ZX300. To be honest I do not mind the volume cap. On the volume scale, the volume cap is set to anything above 75. (Range from 0 to whatever 125; I actually don't know because I never turned it right up.)

With the volume cap though, I feel good. When I bought the DAP over two years ago now, I used to go over the volume cap. It meant about once a month I had to be interrupted and press OK to continue playing. (Volume cap checking on me.)

I did that for a long time. Then a while ago I got fed up with having every month to press OK to continue playing. I actually decided to leave volume at 75 and try it out, to avoid the volume cap reminders.

Two things came from that. It was nice not having the volume cap reminders. Secondly it was loud enough. Sometimes with quieter music and road noise it might not quite be enough. Overall volume was easily adequate. It feel 100% better knowing I am not risking my hearing. (That's the punchline.) I possibly love my DAP that little bit more now.

Whereas I realise now, I was using my DAP a bit loud. Hopefully I have not done even the smallest damage to my hearing. It's general advised too, to never turn music up to drown out other noise. I was doing that a little going over the volume cap. Even though I went only a very few points over the volume cap. Am still partly interested in an SR25 though. (Just wish it had a volume cap.)

Hi GreenBow,
i believe we are talking about two different things. Some daps have a volume limit that you can activate and also turn it off. I have that in my SONY NWA-55L. The SR25 also has a volume limit that you can activate. Here
C0E477F5-D596-4765-949A-787585FAA6F4.jpeg

A different thing is the volume cap of European Sony models. In some of them like my Sony nwa-55L you can uncap the volume changing the region. In other Sonys like the nwa-105 that I bought and returned since it is imposible to uncap the volume. I do not know about your Sony but this problem has been extensively reported in the Sony threads. This is a big problem for many iems and mainly for headphones. The European cap volume of the Sonys is ridiculously low. In my case I could not use my Sennheiser HD599 which is a rather easy to drive headphone (50 ohms). This is different from the volume limit.
The SR25 has optional volume limit but no volume cap. Hope it helps!

Sep 19, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #881 of 2,746
I ditched the streaming apps on my SA700 for this reason. For offline content I’m using the Audfree Tidal music converter software. Download the albums to my pc and transfer to my 1TB card in the SA700 after. Lost my offline APK Tidal library too many times so the 35 bucks this software costs was worth it.
I wonder if you can help, as i'm having the same issue with the Tidal app and fiio m11, with the offline content going missing every so often. I've used the Audfree software for artists albums, works fine. However, when i try to save "Playlists", it sorts them by Artist and not Playlist. Do you know how I could rectify this and I probably wouldnt use the Tidal app at all, thanks

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #882 of 2,746
Out of curiousity, is there any difference actually if I plug and play music through the USB C on the SR25 vs the USB C on my Macbook Pro for example? Both playing Tidal and everything else is the same.

From my understanding, the transport output does matter.

In your case, there may be noise traveling from Macbook through USB to your external DAC from its power supply, or any other device you have plugged in into your MB.

There's an interesting read on Headfonia about a digital transport device which sole purpose is to be a good transport. https://www.headfonia.com/xduoo-x10tii-review/

Sep 22, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #884 of 2,746
From my understanding, the transport output does matter.

In your case, there may be noise traveling from Macbook through USB to your external DAC from its power supply, or any other device you have plugged in into your MB.

There's an interesting read on Headfonia about a digital transport device which sole purpose is to be a good transport. https://www.headfonia.com/xduoo-x10tii-review/

Thanks! I'll have a read through this for sure!

Sep 22, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #885 of 2,746

Users who are viewing this thread

Back