Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jun 12, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #316 of 2,746
Looking for a match made in heaven? The SR25 and maybe any good to excellent IEM will put a smile on your face. Over ear cans may be a different story. One of my favorite pairing so far is the UrbanFun beryllium. Euphoric is the word that comes to mind in describing this match up. I can’t help but imagine what the sound would be like if balanced was an option. But even SE is a heavenly listening experience.

Of course your smiles per minute may vary depending on your listening preferences.

Another great option that is just as impressive is the V-Moda M80. Lush is the word that comes to mind with this pairing. If listening to whole albums is what you are into, this my friends, is the way to go.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #317 of 2,746
Empire Ears has some great IEM's and CIEM's that match with a player like this. I had Phantom's and the wife has Bravado's (with the Swarski crystal faces in purple and clear). I just ordered the SR25 and am looking forward to it. I sold my 380cu with matching amp as it was too big and I couldn't get it to stream Tidal. I spoke with a few who have auditioned this with a variety of cans and IEM's and all said the same things. I'm really excited to get this.

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #318 of 2,746
@ctsooner22 - great IEM’s and CIEM’s is where the SR25 really shines. You will not be let down. Happy listening!
You might want to order another one. When your wife hears this you will not get it back.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #319 of 2,746
She doesn't use the Bravado's as much as I though she would. lol...:wink:. I bought them as Jewlery for her. I do have her streaming Tidal and she downloaded her favorites. She has a good ear. My home system is: Vandersteen Quatro CT's, Ayre AX5/20, The Memory Player server/DAC (bespoke as they use me for their test platforms. It's a 40k server). My cabling is all Audioquest: Their all silver TOTL balanced interconnects from server to integrated (Ayre), Hurricane power cords for each piece and the Niagara 1000 power strip.

I use special router, ethernet isolation and Wireworld fiber optic cables for streaming.

I have been very active in the audiophile world (2 channel mostly) since the early 70's and am blessed to know many of the designers. I have helped many put systems together, which the most expensive well north of 1million (I personally didn't even love the sound, but it's what they wanted, lol).

Her ear is amazing as she always hears when I am auditioning something new. Even when I audition a new cable or cord, she hears it and asks what I am listening to, lol.

That's why I bought her a nice pair of IEM's, with the sound signature I thought she would enjoy. She does, but only when she's traveling. I will say that when I have a piece in for voicing, they always ask for her to give it a good listen too. :). I"m blessed.

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #320 of 2,746
@ctsooner22 - you are blessed for sure, it seems that we all would appreciate not only your but her opinion on what you think of the SR25 and IEM of choice. I have run the gambit of IEM’s I have at my disposal all the way back to the GR07 Vsonic and have been impressed with each one - in respect to being played through the SR25. The Miles Davis Trumpets single BA never sounded better, but that is in the way back machine, now the future looks like hybrid combos and multiple ba’s, which I love as well. What a great hobby this is, passion for music, plus the advancement of technology. We all are blessed indeed.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #321 of 2,746
Listening to Phantom of the Opera right now. Nice way to start my Saturday morning. About to put on Joe Bonamassa, Live at Carnegie Hall (we were there the first night row 8 center. Tina Gua is one of the best cellists in the world right now (born in Shanghai, lives in LA). Tightest band I've ever heard in concert. He's the best guitarist in the world (my opinion as well as Eric Clapton's from what I was told). It's was an acoustic evening on my birthday.

Well, my over ears PSB Audio headphone's amp/dac broke. UPS didn't package my top EE CIEM"s in the box I purchased from them. They shipped in an envelope and they were crushed. I'm now out a ton of money as I insured for only 1k. Totally screwed as they take zero responsibility. Sorry, had to share as:

I know this is an SR25 thread, but I now need to get either a pair of EE Bravado's and an external bluetooth receiver for on the go listening.... OR:

I need to get another pair of headphones that are bluetooth that would be a nice pairing for the SR25. I know this player has all the codex's and is Bluetooth 5. I'm not an expert on bluetooth. I will download lots of 24 and 32 bit music. Thoughts on a top bluetooth device for IEM's as well as top options for a bluetooth headset that can be wired too as I will use them mostly in this mode. Thanks and if this takes us off topic, please ignore. Thanks all.

ps, post you are listening to as you type. Always nice to know what folks are enjoying.

Jun 13, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #322 of 2,746
SQ wise, is sr25 better than ak380, Kann original? Trying to find a baseline where sr25 fits
There used to be dap chart
I own ak70mk2 and original kann, trying to figure out is it worth upgrading as my Kann cube sounds amazing almost tubelike
Sq only as reports sr25 sounds better than sr15
Ithanks as need some type of baseline

Jun 13, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #323 of 2,746
SQ wise, is sr25 better than ak380, Kann original? Trying to find a baseline where sr25 fits
There used to be dap chart
I own ak70mk2 and original kann, trying to figure out is it worth upgrading as my Kann cube sounds amazing almost tubelike
Sq only as reports sr25 sounds better than sr15
Ithanks as need some type of baseline
meant original Kann not Kann cube

Jun 13, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #326 of 2,746
I'm really happy with the build and sound quality of the SR25 but the Tidal situation is taking the shine off the device for me.
I've downloaded a few different APKs but unhappy with the interface and sound quality on non-native apps, perhaps it's just me but I want a music player and don't care for video and definitely don't want facebook buttons etc
It's got to the point where I haven't even used it for a few days and considering returning

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #327 of 2,746
I'm really happy with the build and sound quality of the SR25 but the Tidal situation is taking the shine off the device for me.
I've downloaded a few different APKs but unhappy with the interface and sound quality on non-native apps, perhaps it's just me but I want a music player and don't care for video and definitely don't want facebook buttons etc
It's got to the point where I haven't even used it for a few days and considering returning

What’s wrong with Tidal?

Jun 15, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #329 of 2,746
anyone willing to compare the sound quality to the chord mojo/poly? If it is comparable I might very well upgrade

Gabriel, you can't really do that as your streamer/phone will be a deciding factor and no-one has what you have. An advantage that a DAP will have is that the server and DAC are hard wired and the power supply is made for them. they design them to work together so they are maximizing their sound to their ears (companies tune their devices to their target market as we know).

Digital is just so difficult in these ways. I'd be surprised that any phone direct wired to the Mojo would sound as good, but again, you'd have to do a true apples to apples.

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #330 of 2,746
Gabriel, you can't really do that as your streamer/phone will be a deciding factor and no-one has what you have. An advantage that a DAP will have is that the server and DAC are hard wired and the power supply is made for them. they design them to work together so they are maximizing their sound to their ears (companies tune their devices to their target market as we know).

Digital is just so difficult in these ways. I'd be surprised that any phone direct wired to the Mojo would sound as good, but again, you'd have to do a true apples to apples.
The poly was built to solve that issue: Currently I use the mojo/poly, after trying many alternatives for portable use (dacs, a couple daps, etc.), I remained unsatisfied by anything cheaper than the poly, so I bought despite a part of me rebelling at an accessory costing more than the mojo itself.

I want something that is equal to the poly mojo combo for sound quality that has a screen and tidal support, preferably tidal offline.

Considering the mojo is nearly 5 years old I am hoping it is finally possible to get an upgrade without paying more than the poly, preferably something that ages as well as the mojo (although 5 years is really, really, good for tech not to be obsolete).

I hope this qualifies, until I know whether it does I won't buy a dap to replace what is still considered the best sounding portable dac anywhere near it's price, despite my many issues with it, sound quality isn't one.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back