Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
May 26, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #211 of 2,745
May 26, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #212 of 2,745
Hi to everyone!

I was just pulling the trigger with the sony zx507 (coming from a zx300) to use their balanced output with the final e5000 and Sennheiser hd650 and this Sr25 has stopped me. I have two questions:

1) Reading the 15 pages of this thread I've seen some comparisons between both in terms of battery life, but does anyone here have both and could share some brief impressions strictly in terms of sound? And Sony wm1a vs sr25 (here in Spain i can buy them for almost the same price)?

2) And do you think that this SR25 has enough current to make the Sennheiser hd650 sing in a delightful way? Or will it be too much for them?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #213 of 2,745
Hi to everyone!

I was just pulling the trigger with the sony zx507 (coming from a zx300) and this Sr25 has stopped me. I have two questions:

1) Reading the 15 pages of this thread I've seen some comparisons between both in terms of battery life, but does anyone here have both and could share some brief impressions strictly in terms of sound? And Sony wm1a vs sr25 (here in Spain i can buy them?

2) And do you think that this SR25 has enough current to make the Sennheiser hd650 sing in a delightful way? Or will it be too much for them?

Thanks in advance!

The ZX300 was my all time favourite player. IMHO, the SR15 beats the ZX300 in terms of sound and the SR25 beats the SR15. So SR25 all the way.

Is it a gigantic sound difference? No but I still prefer the SR15/25's sound to the ZX300's.

May 26, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #214 of 2,745
The ZX300 was my all time favourite player. IMHO, the SR15 beats the ZX300 in terms of sound and the SR25 beats the SR15. So SR25 all the way.

Is it a gigantic sound difference? No but I still prefer the SR15/25's sound to the ZX300's.

Thanks! Well, zx507 is also supposed to be an upgrade of zx300 sound, so i imagine that, as you say, there won't be a gigantic difference, but is good to know your preference coming from a Sony.

And what about the output current? This is my first concern, i'm afraid it could be weak for more demanding cans (i'm not talking about full potential, obviously, but i use my Audeze lcd2 classic through the balanced output of my zx300 and i get a satisfactory sound, really close, slightly more congested than what i get from a Ifi xcan i could try). I'm bad converting volts to watts, i don't know how much is 4vrms (sr25) vs 200mw (zx507) per channel in balanced outputs...

May 26, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #215 of 2,745
Hi to everyone!

I was just pulling the trigger with the sony zx507 (coming from a zx300) to use their balanced output with the final e5000 and Sennheiser hd650 and this Sr25 has stopped me. I have two questions:

1) Reading the 15 pages of this thread I've seen some comparisons between both in terms of battery life, but does anyone here have both and could share some brief impressions strictly in terms of sound? And Sony wm1a vs sr25 (here in Spain i can buy them for almost the same price)?

Thanks in advance!

I personally don't have HD650, but high impedance headphones and earbuds are not a problem for SR25 to drive loud enough, even from 3.5mm SE output. For example, I tested ATH-R70x headphones, 470 ohm impedance, and was able to drive them from SE of SR25 at volume 124 (max 150). So, you got the headroom, and if you switch to balanced, you will gain more. But SR25 doesn't have Class A or AB amplifier output, so the question of if it could drive more demanding headphones with full authority will depend on the actual pair up and comparison to other standalone amps.

Based on what i'm hearing, no issues driving R70x (470ohm), or Sun Dice earbuds (180ohm), or Empyrean planar magnetic cans, everything is loud enough and has plenty of headroom, and actually sounds good, but in my opinion is not driven to their full potential.

May 26, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #216 of 2,745
Thanks to both @twister6 and @NewEve for your fast answers!.
It looks like the sr25 will be te chosen one then, just to avoid importing an uncapped version zx507 from Japan with all the warranty problems that it can imply.

And yes, of course my questions about demanding cans is not looking for full potential performance, but one satisfactory enough as a portable solution that may allow eventually not being chained to stationary amps.

May 26, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #217 of 2,745
Sorry for the interrogatory, i have a a couple of fast last questions. Is it possible to hear music from youtube streaming with the sr25? I don't know how the open app operates, but i don't see it mentioned anywhere.

And if it doesn't, does it operate as a bluetooth receiver (i know it can be used as usb dac wired, but need to know it it can play music form other devices wireless)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #219 of 2,745
Sorry for the interrogatory, i have a a couple of fast last questions. Is it possible to hear music from youtube streaming with the sr25? I don't know how the open app operates, but i don't see it mentioned anywhere.

And if it doesn't, does it operate as a bluetooth receiver (i know it can be used as usb dac wired, but need to know it it can play music form other devices wireless)

Thanks in advance!

There’s a pre-installed app which allows you to.

Re the open apps I linked everything a few posts prior.

May 26, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #220 of 2,745
May 26, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #224 of 2,745
Trying the APK pure OpenAPP stuff for the first time, I copied my favorite APK's into the Open Service folder, but for some reason, only Qobuz shows up on the device.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

You have to download an XAPK installer and update the apps via that on the device I believe. That way you are able to have the most up to date XAPK apps but they seem to be glitchy as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back