Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
May 23, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #182 of 2,746
May 23, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #185 of 2,746
The lineup is clear to me:

A&norma: SR15 (I expect it to slowly disappear) and SR25 which replaces the SR15

A&futura: SE100 (which I expect to be replaced soon)

A&ultima: SP1000/M and SP2000

Others I’d call special models with peculiar features: SA700 (design and sound signature similar to a past model I can’t remember the name of), Kann Cube (power, various outputs, etc.)

Special editions: SP1000M Gold

With that said, for my brain and ears, I can’t justify the price difference for what I can “hear more” with a SP1000M versus a SR25 —especially knowing that I can get a tremendous pair of headphones or IEMs for that difference.

I should have been more clear.

The issue is not so much names, but sound quality.

Do we "hear more" with the SR25 than the SE100? Than the SA700? Than the Kann Cube? Etc..

May 23, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #187 of 2,746
I should have been more clear.

The issue is not so much names, but sound quality.

Do we "hear more" with the SR25 than the SE100? Than the SA700? Than the Kann Cube? Etc..

It is subjective to one’s hearing abilities and preferences. Best try in store and/or look for a reviewer with tastes similar as yours.

May 23, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #189 of 2,746
It is subjective to one’s hearing abilities and preferences. Best try in store and/or look for a reviewer with tastes similar as yours.

Of course a person's individual subjective preferences play a large role.

However, there MUST be an objective difference in sound quality between a comparably-priced unit from 2015 and one from 2020. There MUST be an objective difference in sound quality between the SP2000 and the SR15. This despite that an odd, or random, persons may prefer the flavor of an AK70 to the SP2000.

May 23, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #191 of 2,746

However, there MUST be an objective difference in sound quality between a comparably-priced unit from 2015 and one from 2020. There MUST be an objective difference in sound quality between the SP2000 and the SR15. This despite that an odd, or random, persons may prefer the flavor of an AK70 to the SP2000.

Take this with a grain of salt as it’s just how I perceive the Astell&Kern line of DAPs.

The higher price is ultimately for more resolution (just because it’s more expensive doesn’t mean the sound will be to someone’s liking).

A&ultima — highest clarity, resolution & detail
A&futura — clarity, resolution & detail
A&norma — balanced, detailed & warm
SA700 — natural, wide & airy
KANN CUBE — powerful & dynamic

May 23, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #192 of 2,746
I found the Astell product using Cirrus Logic chipsbto have the best sound to me personally.

Ak240 s15 and the new s25.

Remember the ak240 is a dap made with the same effort and unlimited budget as the sp1000 and sp2000.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #194 of 2,746
Take this with a grain of salt as it’s just how I perceive the Astell&Kern line of DAPs.

The higher price is ultimately for more resolution (just because it’s more expensive doesn’t mean the sound will be to someone’s liking).

I appreciate your interpretation, but all I see are adjectives. The goal of a music player should be to reproduce the music as it was recorded.

And as one goes up the line that ability should increase.

I can see that amplifier power can be an independent variable, so maybe the Kann Cube can reasonably carve out a niche, for those who have hard to drive headphones, but all that would mean to me is that the other players, even ultima, don't quite have enough power for those headphones.

May 23, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #195 of 2,746

I would agree with @Mirimar ’s quote below though I made the jump from A&norma to A&ultima and back.

Then you need to add the features such as size, weight, your needs etc. and that should help you make a decision.

Again, I always had to rely on Head-Fi and reviews to sort out what I want as I can’t demo here on Switzerland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back