Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Oct 7, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #916 of 2,746
I’m green of envy like the light of your xcan!
now seriously, would you please share the advantages of your setup? Is it worth it even for not so demanding
🎧 or iems?
To be honest, I don't use xCan frequently with dynamic / BA driver type headphones and iems with impendence under 60ohm. SR25 on its own sounds wonderful with those.

xCan comes most handy if you want to extend that beautiful sound from SR25 DAC configuration to planar magnetic and higher impendence dynamic gear. Even in balanced out, SR25 does not provide me with enough satisfaction across the frequency spectrum with demanding gear. However the same, clean 4V balanced line-out does wonders to my ears with xCan's balanced input.

This amp also helps to customize SR25 sound, including low demanding stuff. I personally don't have patience to play around with custom EQ on not-large SR25 screen. xCan has three useful analog EQ modes and I haven't experienced any clipping/distortion when using them. To me sounds like they amplify each of frequency ranges: Bass (for lows), Presence (for mids), 3D+ (for highs). EQ modes can be used to "correct" the deficiencies in sound signature or just to make your gear sound different. E.g., Shure SE535 sounds thin on low end, so Bass goes On; Blon-03's have sick mid-bass, turn On 3D+ to extend the soundstage vertically up; Bass and 3D+ for HD 6XX, mids are too good already.
Hope this helps. :beerchug:

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #917 of 2,746
To be honest, I don't use xCan frequently with dynamic / BA driver type headphones and iems with impendence under 60ohm. SR25 on its own sounds wonderful with those.

xCan comes most handy if you want to extend that beautiful sound from SR25 DAC configuration to planar magnetic and higher impendence dynamic gear. Even in balanced out, SR25 does not provide me with enough satisfaction across the frequency spectrum with demanding gear. However the same, clean 4V balanced line-out does wonders to my ears with xCan's balanced input.

This amp also helps to customize SR25 sound, including low demanding stuff. I personally don't have patience to play around with custom EQ on not-large SR25 screen. xCan has three useful analog EQ modes and I haven't experienced any clipping/distortion when using them. To me sounds like they amplify each of frequency ranges: Bass (for lows), Presence (for mids), 3D+ (for highs). EQ modes can be used to "correct" the deficiencies in sound signature or just to make your gear sound different. E.g., Shure SE535 sounds thin on low end, so Bass goes On; Blon-03's have sick mid-bass, turn On 3D+ to extend the soundstage vertically up; Bass and 3D+ for HD 6XX, mids are too good already.
Hope this helps. :beerchug:
Just on the SE535, I'm listening right now using balanced out from the SR25.

I've modded the SE535 with the Green damper filters, and there's plenty of bass to be heard imho.

You're right, the EQ is a bit fiddly to manage on the small SR25 screen, but once you've got it set it's all good. I just don't think it's worth carrying around an extra device with the SR25; that's why I bought it, for an all-in-one solution. If I wanted to carry around another device, I might as well pair a Mojo with my phone for half the price of the SR25..

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #918 of 2,746

I've modded the SE535 with the Green damper filters, and there's plenty of bass to be heard
Cannot wait for my first dampening filters to arrive from Ali and try them out on 535s.

You have to admit though, stock filter is not for bassheads. :L3000:

Oct 8, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #919 of 2,746
I ended up purchased an HEX v2, so I'm guessing I should be fine.

However, I'm realizing that (with the case on, at least) I often have a difficult time with pressing the correct back, pause and play buttons. It's truly annoying.

Anyone else have this issue?

I've an issue with the play/pause and prev/next buttons being hit accidentally when the device is in my pocket, or when I'm trying to put it in or take it out of my pocket. Skips to the next track. Most annoying. It would be great if there were a way to disable the buttons, or lock it when it is in your pocket.

Oct 8, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #920 of 2,746

I've modded the SE535 with the Green damper filters, and there's plenty of bass to be heard imho.

You're right, the EQ is a bit fiddly to manage on the small SR25 screen, but once you've got it set it's all good. I just don't think it's worth carrying around an extra device with the SR25; that's why I bought it, for an all-in-one solution. If I wanted to carry around another device, I might as well pair a Mojo with my phone for half the price of the SR25..
I have the clear version of se535 and feel that more bass would make it a more entertaining and fun sounding iem.

could you please kindly point out to me how to do the green damper filter mod please?

would it effect other frequency range as well ?

Oct 8, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #921 of 2,746
I have the clear version of se535 and feel that more bass would make it a more entertaining and fun sounding iem.

could you please kindly point out to me how to do the green damper filter mod please?

would it effect other frequency range as well ?

Sure thing, there's a thread on this very topic right here at Head-Fi :ksc75smile:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se5...re-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers.663273/

iirc someone came up with a FR graph of all the different filters, will highlight exactly what changes you can expect.

I bought mine from AliExpress, took forever to arrive, but worth it. There's a tool you can get specifically for the dampers that makes it dead easy to swap them to work out what you like. I think I paid about $50 for several pairs of 5 different filter types, didn't want to ever have to order them again in case i broke one..

Oct 9, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #922 of 2,746
Sure thing, there's a thread on this very topic right here at Head-Fi :ksc75smile:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se5...re-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers.663273/

iirc someone came up with a FR graph of all the different filters, will highlight exactly what changes you can expect.

I bought mine from AliExpress, took forever to arrive, but worth it. There's a tool you can get specifically for the dampers that makes it dead easy to swap them to work out what you like. I think I paid about $50 for several pairs of 5 different filter types, didn't want to ever have to order them again in case i broke one..
Thank you very much for the link sir ^^ :)

Oct 9, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #924 of 2,746
After chatting with a kind person on A&K Kann Alpha thread, I decided to make SR25 as my first ever DAP and it is scheduled to be delivered today. This is an amazing thread which helped me make my decision too (after reading 62 pages of course :beyersmile:).

I am only a beginner and I only have Moondrop Starfields as my starter IEM but I am in the market for another IEM and Headphone (this is fixed: Meze 99 Classics). It will really help if anyone can share their experience with synergies between SR25 and FH7 or Moondrop S8 (2/3 of my shortlisted IEMs). Also, is it worth investing directly in SR25 + CA Solaris 2020?

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #925 of 2,746
Also, is it worth investing directly in SR25 + CA Solaris 2020?
I presently own a A&K Kann Cube, listening to it through Campfire Audio ARA, and it’s some of the best listening I’ve done in years and years. I’m considering adding the SR25 to my stable fir portability (CUBE is pretty BIG)

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #926 of 2,746
After chatting with a kind person on A&K Kann Alpha thread, I decided to make SR25 as my first ever DAP and it is scheduled to be delivered today. This is an amazing thread which helped me make my decision too (after reading 62 pages of course :beyersmile:).

I am only a beginner and I only have Moondrop Starfields as my starter IEM but I am in the market for another IEM and Headphone (this is fixed: Meze 99 Classics). It will really help if anyone can share their experience with synergies between SR25 and FH7 or Moondrop S8 (2/3 of my shortlisted IEMs). Also, is it worth investing directly in SR25 + CA Solaris 2020?
I use the sr25 with S8 and before fh7. Ask me anything.

Oct 11, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #927 of 2,746
I presently own a A&K Kann Cube, listening to it through Campfire Audio ARA, and it’s some of the best listening I’ve done in years and years. I’m considering adding the SR25 to my stable fir portability (CUBE is pretty BIG)

Thank you so much for your reply. Pardon my assumption, but your selection of CA Ara suggests that you are into critical listening. But for me, since I am very new into this, I want to feel intimate with the music and love the warmth with which it can envelope me. Hence I am contemplating, if I should go for CA Solaris 2020 + SR25 and call it my TOTL for many years to come. Thanks again for your response though, I will update the forum once I go ahead with this.

Oct 11, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #928 of 2,746
I use the sr25 with S8 and before fh7. Ask me anything.

Thanks for your reply and giving me the opportunity to ask my queries.

I really want to know which is better S8 ($720) / FH7 ($540) in terms of overall sound quality with SR25, build quality and post-purchase customer service. Also, I am looking for a warm sound signature but definitely not bass heavy.

Since I am a grad student (winter 2021 batch) and newbie as well hence I feel I should be able to enjoy music so as to continue this hobby of mine. And I intend to stick to my next purchase for more than 3-4yrs+. I can look at one of the two IEMs (s8/fh7) + Meze 99 Classics ($360) or buy only CA Solaris 2020 ($1600).

P.S. All the prices are regional but I can delay my purchase by a few months as I will be traveling to Canada for my grad program.

Edit: Corrections

Oct 11, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #929 of 2,746
Thanks for your reply and giving me the opportunity to ask my queries.

I really want to know which is better S8 ($720) / FH7 ($540) in terms of overall sound quality with SR25, build quality and post-purchase customer service. Also, I am looking for a warm sound signature but definitely not bass heavy.

Since I am a grad student (winter 2021 batch) and newbie as well hence I feel I should be able to enjoy music so as to continue this hobby of mine. And I intend to stick to my next purchase for more than 3-4yrs+. I can look at one of the two IEMs (s8/fh7) + Meze 99 Classics ($360) or buy only CA Solaris 2020 ($1600).

P.S. All the prices are regional but I can delay my purchase by a few months as I will be traveling to Canada for my grad program.

Edit: Corrections
Both are good.
S8 is more detailed an better fit. You can read over the Harman tunning.
Fh7 better bass and good overall but fit is difficult an quite big, cheaper.
Solaris for me is overpriced would go for andromedas second hand.
Ier-m7 is an m9 underated by people.
In my case prefer to have 2 or 3 iems to avoid fatige.

Oct 11, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #930 of 2,746
Both are good.
S8 is more detailed an better fit. You can read over the Harman tunning.
Fh7 better bass and good overall but fit is difficult an quite big, cheaper.
Solaris for me is overpriced would go for andromedas second hand.
Ier-m7 is an m9 underated by people.
In my case prefer to have 2 or 3 iems to avoid fatige.
Thanks a ton for the detailed reply. Really appreciate it. Since I have purchased Starfield, I have become aware of the sounding of Harman-tuned IEMs. Sony's m7 and m9 are not available regionally for me but I will definitely look into those too. Thanks for your over suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back