Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Apr 26, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #61 of 2,755
100% agree with T.R.A.N.C.E. I have no clue why some folks are writing the SR15 sounds thin. Must be a lack of comparison. In fact the opposite is the case. In my opinion it is the warmest sounding DAP in A&Ks current lineup.

I agree. My SR15 is absolutely NOT thin sounding. I have no idea where that perception is coming from.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #62 of 2,755
No they are basically rated the same. ZX507 is rated at 18 hours 96khz FLAC, while SR25 is 21 hours with 44khz FLAC, and you lose around 2 hours battery life for every doubling of sample rate, the SR25 will be around 19 hours with FLAC 96khz.

I am happy if I get 8 hours with my ZX507 though :thinking:

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #63 of 2,755
I am happy if I get 8 hours with my ZX507 though :thinking:

Manufacturers only state continuous playback time with screen off, wifi off, single ended, low gain, etc, just max possible playback in best case scenario.

If you actually use all the features it's quite different lol. I don't use wifi and mostly leave screen off or use lowest brightness, plus prefer low gain sound with iems so I get pretty good battery life. Even high vs low volume affects battery life.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #65 of 2,755
I agree. My SR15 is absolutely NOT thin sounding. I have no idea where that perception is coming from.

that's always subjective, of course, the AK sound itself is not known for plump warmth and bass. After the SR25 is announced, the prices of used 15 will certainly drop. Then it would be worth a temptation ...

Apr 26, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #66 of 2,755
Not feeling the silver myself, I'm assuming this is going to come in other colours.

Oh, and Twister I'm wondering if you've compared it to the ibasso dx160? I'm asking because I think that one sounds the best so far using that particular dual dac setup. Just curious.

I personally prefer dx160 over SR25 since 160 makes soundstage more holographic and adds more air between the layers of the sound, but 160 is also brighter which some might not like depending on pair up. Btw, all just initial impressions which could change as I spend more time on comparison. Will cover it all in the review. Probably should add Opus#1s to that comparison as well.

With SR15 vs SR25, might try to figure out if I can get a loaner for review comparison. Seems to be a lot of questions about this one, and I can't answer it now.

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #67 of 2,755
the AK sound itself is not known for plump warmth and bass.

Especially in A&K s early years their DAPs (ak100, ak120) were famous for sounding rather „organic&musical“ (whatever that means) than analytical. I think SR15 still follows this line. The more analytical sound came with A&Ks recent higher end (SE100, SP1000) line, especially compared to high enders like Sony WM1z or Cayin N8.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #69 of 2,755
No it depends on what sound sig you like and what you're used to listening to. I personally wouldn't call the sr15 sound thin but it doesn't sound as full sounding as say a Sony or and it doesn't have a really wide sound stage which could be termed as 'thinner' sounding.

This is from memory and I'm not saying sr15 sounds bad, in fact it sounded really good to me. But I'm used to a bigger more holographic imaginary stage and I wouldn't be satisfied with it now.

The sound parts very subjective too, so there's that.

I agree with pretty much all of twisters sound descriptions of certain daps so This new model sounds very promising in the sound department. I'm imagining a slightly more neutral version of the sr15 with a wider sound stage.

I'm sure it will be a nice sounding quality dap. I'm just weird and I like really small daps (hence using nw a105). Otherwise I'd try this in black or use dx160 which is excellent especially for the $$.

Actually I think the soundstage of the sr15 is similar to the hiby r5 with maybe more emphasis on mids? It's been a while. Lots of great daps around these days especially in the under 500.00 range.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #70 of 2,755
No it depends on what sound sig you like and what you're used to listening to. I personally wouldn't call the sr15 sound thin but it doesn't sound as full sounding as say a Sony or and it doesn't have a really wide sound stage which could be termed as 'thinner' sounding.

Here we go - the terms we all use in this forum are so amazingly subjective and their usage different depending on person!

Me, personally, I have never associated "small sound stage" with "thin" (as you do here, if I understood you correctly).
If I needed to make a connection between these terms, then more the other way round.
"Thick" sound to me usually means pronounced mids, lower mids and upper bass.
This brings voices more to the front. And the more voices are in the front, the more the illusional stage gets "intimate", less wide.
Wide soundstage I associate with extension to both ends and less full bodied mids - in other words "thinner" sound.

Interesting. :)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #71 of 2,755
Here we go - the terms we all use in this forum are so amazingly subjective and their usage different depending on person!

Me, personally, I have never associated "small sound stage" with "thin" (as you do here, if I understood you correctly).
If I needed to make a connection between these terms, then more the other way round.
"Thick" sound to me usually means pronounced mids, lower mids and upper bass.
This brings voices more to the front. And the more voices are in the front, the more the illusional stage gets "intimate", less wide.
Wide soundstage I associate with extension to both ends and less full bodied mids - in other words "thinner" sound.

Interesting. :)

Yes I see what you mean there, I guess you could say 'less expansive' instead of thin. Like I said I didn't personally find it thin sounding myself but I can't discount what someone else hears so.... I understand what you're saying but also someone could find a bigger more 3d stage 'fuller' sounding.

I guess that's what I was getting at. No matter, as always best to listen for yourself and trust your ears. In fact when trying a 'New' dap lately I've tried to not read any reviews or impressions if possible. So I don't form any pre conceived 2nd hand opinions before I hear it.

Apr 26, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #72 of 2,755
This is a very exciting topic, I bought with the AK with a certain expectation. Read a lot and researched .. then paid a lot of money. It was a very good device, but I was missing something ... certain. I would explain it as a chubby warmth, I feel at home. Interestingly, I experienced this with the dx220, after 10 minutes it was clear and I had never thought of it before. .... it is very subjective and complex :smiley:

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #73 of 2,755
Ibasso knows how to design a good output circuit. If they used better more modern CPU's and updated their designs to be a bit more sophisticated/refined, and kept their price point, they'd be unstoppable. Imo

AK certainly has some stunning designs.

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #74 of 2,755
Ibasso knows how to design a good output circuit. If they used better more modern CPU's and updated their designs to be a bit more sophisticated/refined, and kept their price point, they'd be unstoppable. Imo

AK certainly has some stunning designs.

Agreed, the DX160 at a $399 price point is just about unbeatable for me. I am keeping a close eye on this SR25 though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back