Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Apr 10, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #2,614 of 2,746
I have the same feeling.
They are trying to justify the buying of the new models by exclusivity of new features, that could have been easily implemented on old models too. Basically it's same CPU and they're saying that it's impossible to implement the new UI.
It's quite sad that DAP industry has same way as smartphone industry.
The new models have few improvements but these improvements aren't always related to sound improvement.

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #2,616 of 2,746
Unlikely that the SR25 will receive the new UI
Kind of dissapointing. I guess premium products should have a bit longer support and receive more features during the lifecycle.
It's been a while since the release of SR25 mkII and there were no major updates with new features, UI improvements etc
And now you are telling that in fact the software support of SR25 mkII is finished.
Now we need to buy SR35 to get new software features and in 1.5-2 years SR45 as the SR35 support will be dropped in 1.5 years...

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #2,617 of 2,746
Kind of dissapointing. I guess premium products should have a bit longer support and receive more features during the lifecycle.
It's been a while since the release of SR25 mkII and there were no major updates with new features, UI improvements etc
And now you are telling that in fact the software support of SR25 mkII is finished.
Now we need to buy SR35 to get new software features and in 1.5-2 years SR45 as the SR35 support will be dropped in 1.5 years...

Unfortunately, that is the business model for most DAP manufacturers, including Chi-fi, with the possible exception of Sony. Most strive to update their models once a year with new features. A&K is worst than most in that they rarely update existing models and the incremental updates in hardware are often trivial; just enough to call it a new model. Obviously they could update the SR25, but they choose not to as it doesn't sell DAPs, which is their core business. As long as we accept it, don't expect it to change.

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #2,618 of 2,746
I understand your frustration, but on the flip side, nothing about the release of the SR35 makes my nearly-3-year-old SR25 sound or operate any worse. Same thing didn’t happen when SR25 mk2 was released.

Me, I’ll keep happily using the SR25 for another year or two, and maybe one day consider the SR45 or SR55. Or more likely SP4000 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #2,619 of 2,746
I understand your frustration, but on the flip side, nothing about the release of the SR35 makes my nearly-3-year-old SR25 sound or operate any worse. Same thing didn’t happen when SR25 mk2 was released.

Me, I’ll keep happily using the SR25 for another year or two, and maybe one day consider the SR45 or SR55. Or more likely SP4000 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Spot on! My SR25 is my first DAP, not including ipods of which I've had 3. My SR25 sounds fantastic with either of two IEM's I use (Fiio FD5, and Meze Rai Solo's). Whether I'm listening to files on SD, or streaming Apple Music. I still love my SR25, and the allure of another DAP is non-existent. I just don't get the need to get the next shiny toy that comes along, when what's already there is perfectly adequate, but then I'm not in my 20's or 30's any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back