Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
May 4, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #1,801 of 2,746
Don't use one and never will use a case, sorry. I prefer to eventually have scratches and dents...which means that I use it, that cover something so aesthetically pleasent!

May 4, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #1,803 of 2,746
Yes, if drop/damage protection is important to you.
I have an OEM leather case and baby the living daylights out of this thing. It never leaves the house (the Cayin N5iiS can handle those duties).

But I do wear rings on both hands and those will scratch up glass in a flash, hence my concern. Not too worried about impact resistance.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #1,804 of 2,746
I have an OEM leather case and baby the living daylights out of this thing. It never leaves the house (the Cayin N5iiS can handle those duties).
But I do wear rings on both hands and those will scratch up glass in a flash, hence my concern. Not too worried about impact resistance.
I do (did) get out quite a bit with my DAPs, so I usually choose some decent protection for them. I even use them inside a ziplock plastic bag for some moisture-protection. It's not quite necessary in the current stay-home lifestyle, but it's become a old habit.

May 5, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,805 of 2,746
Protection helps...A Story This doesn't involve a dap, but instead an iphone 8. Three years ago, within a couple weeks of buying my wife a new iphone 8, I went out to the carport and saw, lying on the concrete pavement, her iphone, face up, shattered screen, but working. On closer inspection there were clearly tire tread marks on the screen. My wife had unknowingly dropped her iphone, gotten into the car, and drove off for some errands, rolling over her new, mint iphone. Well, the phone was in a protective case, with a glass screen protector. The only damage (shattered) was to the screen protector. The iphone screen, and the rest of the iphone were in perfect order.

So yeah, protection, especially if you might be accident prone is a good thing!

May 6, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #1,806 of 2,746
If I wanted to use an external DAC (Bifrost 2) fed from the SR25..... all I need to do is buy the correct cable (USB-C to USB-B) and change the setting in the drop down menu to External USB. Is that correct? Am I missing anything? Then the SR25 basically just becomes a streamer to my DAC?

May 6, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,807 of 2,746
Hi everyone, this is my first trip down the DAP rabbit hole and I've just purchased an SR25. I got this mainly to use with the stereo in my truck as I spend a lot of time driving. I recently discovered HD music (apparently I've been living under a rock for a while...:wink:) and subscribe to Amazon's HD service with my Prime account. I was amazed at what I had been missing sonically with Apple Music and quickly decided my iPhone was falling short so decided to get the SR25. I'm not much of a headphone guy and the only ones I own are a pair of Sennheiser HD201 and my Bose noise cancelling phones that I use for travel.
My plan is to use the line-out feature of the SR25 into the aux input of my truck stereo. I've been downloading everything in my Amazon library, which at the moment is not that large, onto the 1Tb card I got for the SR25. The UI took a little getting used to and I need my glasses to see the microscopic text, but so far I really like this little jukebox and look forward to filling it up.

May 6, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,808 of 2,746
Hi everyone, this is my first trip down the DAP rabbit hole and I've just purchased an SR25. I got this mainly to use with the stereo in my truck as I spend a lot of time driving. I recently discovered HD music (apparently I've been living under a rock for a while...:wink:) and subscribe to Amazon's HD service with my Prime account. I was amazed at what I had been missing sonically with Apple Music and quickly decided my iPhone was falling short so decided to get the SR25. I'm not much of a headphone guy and the only ones I own are a pair of Sennheiser HD201 and my Bose noise cancelling phones that I use for travel.
My plan is to use the line-out feature of the SR25 into the aux input of my truck stereo. I've been downloading everything in my Amazon library, which at the moment is not that large, onto the 1Tb card I got for the SR25. The UI took a little getting used to and I need my glasses to see the microscopic text, but so far I really like this little jukebox and look forward to filling it up.
Awesome! Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet (I've always wanted to say that).

Sounds like you've got the right idea with how to properly utilize that Line Out. The 2V out of the single-ended connection is no joke; I almost had no volume control on my Little Bear B4-X when using its balanced connection. Hopefully you don't have a similar problem, but dialing down the volume on your SR25 should help

And greetings to Puyallup from the City of Angels. Used to live in Bremerton and Lynnwood. Love the PNW. I miss Leavenworth like crazy.

May 6, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,809 of 2,746
Awesome! Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet (I've always wanted to say that).

Sounds like you've got the right idea with how to properly utilize that Line Out. The 2V out of the single-ended connection is no joke; I almost had no volume control on my Little Bear B4-X when using its balanced connection. Hopefully you don't have a similar problem, but dialing down the volume on your SR25 should help

And greetings to Puyallup from the City of Angels. Used to live in Bremerton and Lynnwood. Love the PNW. I miss Leavenworth like crazy.
Thanks! I lived in Lynnwood from late '89 until mid '98, then lived in Everett for a few years.
The head unit in my truck has input gain controls for all the different sources so I should be good. Just have to dig out the aux cable from behind the unit so I can plug in! :sunglasses:

May 6, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,810 of 2,746
Thanks! I lived in Lynnwood from late '89 until mid '98, then lived in Everett for a few years.
The head unit in my truck has input gain controls for all the different sources so I should be good. Just have to dig out the aux cable from behind the unit so I can plug in! :sunglasses:
Awesome! Always nifty to have gain level adjust per source. One of the things I missed most about my JVC Arsenal stuff. That and time delay adjustments.

Been enjoying my SR25 this morning with a simple pair of Tin HiFi T2 Pro plugged into the balanced connection. Considering how notoriously revealing these IEMs are for sibilants, it's a little shocking to me just how smooth they sound on the SR25. No bass vent mod needed, even.

This thing continues to surprise me every day.

May 6, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #1,811 of 2,746
If I wanted to use an external DAC (Bifrost 2) fed from the SR25..... all I need to do is buy the correct cable (USB-C to USB-B) and change the setting in the drop down menu to External USB. Is that correct? Am I missing anything? Then the SR25 basically just becomes a streamer to my DAC?
Yes, that should work, I’ve got an audioquest dragontail for USBC to USBA, and then just use the USB PYST cable to the BF2.

May 6, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #1,813 of 2,746
May 6, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #1,814 of 2,746
Ha ha, I was typing on my phone, so yeah. I assumed a Schiit-head would know their PYST cables :wink:
What's more impressive is that your autocorrect wasn't more PYST than mine would be trying to type a sentence like that out. I mean when I'm AFK, I gotta have my A&K and some good IEMs so when I smh they don't go AWOL. gtgkthxbai!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back