Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Apr 26, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,771 of 2,754
I wonder.... two questions! - 1. is there a way to tell if the SR25 is still trying to index tracks? I left it powered on overnight last night and the available albums are the same as when I went to bed. 2. Might the 32kb cluster size I formatted the card with be an issue at all?

If the reindex button is greyed out, it is still indexing. It does incremental indexing on every startup, maybe try to restart after a while and see if it adds more tracks each time until it chokes... :sunglasses:

edit
As to formatting, I would format the card in the DAP to be sure it's optimal.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,772 of 2,754
If the reindex button is greyed out, it is still indexing. It does incremental indexing on every startup, maybe try to restart after a while and see if it adds more tracks each time until it chokes... :sunglasses:
I just checked!! It's 60,017 files but considerably more gb than I thought 558gb.

Thank you for your insight on the indexing, I will try restarting and see if this helps. :)

Edit: I'm still limiting what I'm trying to copy over to 155gb of my most listened to albums. I'm aiming to figure out what's causing this issue before adding the remainder.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #1,773 of 2,754
I just checked!! It's 60,017 files but considerably more gb than I thought 558gb.

Thank you for your insight on the indexing, I will try restarting and see if this helps. :)

Edit: I'm still limiting what I'm trying to copy over to 155gb of my most listened to albums. I'm aiming to figure this part of my library out before adding the remainder.

It was just an idea after I saw how many tracks you had (I have only about 6000, all flac and hires). Obviously, it could still be a bad sd card. Good luck!

Apr 26, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #1,775 of 2,754
Lol fair question. My total library is around 60k tracks, 380gb of mp3s - I have ripped all of this from CD and vinyl over the past 15 years or so.

Adding lossy files to the dap for now as that’s all I have, excited to use/try out the player! It’s not a small task to recreate my library in lossless, it will likely take me a year or maybe longer to complete...

Edit: and I’ll probably need separate sd cards for electronic, jazz, and rock lol all the more reason for me to figure out this weird sd card thing!
Needledrops?! Man, those are not my idea of fun. Started digitizing all my records, got about 4 in, and still ended up overwhelmed. Paid for a purpose-built app as well (not the expensive one), which did help. Then I got so overwhelmed trying to make my records as clean as possible before recording, only to still deal with a bunch of pops and clicks. That is an exercise for the patient only and I don't blame you for not wanting to go through that again. I've ripped over 800 CDs twice...once in 320 and again in FLAC...dbpoweramp helped tremendously. Musicbrainz Picard was a godsend for track tagging and album artwork. Best free tagger on the market as far as I'm concerned.

Good news is there's a ton of good stuff that can be grabbed from sites like Bandcamp for only a few bucks and at least I know more of the money I give to BC goes to the artist. They do periods where 100% of sales go to the artist and announce that via their newsletter. Thank God there's no DRM issues; I can re-download as often as I want. Qobuz has come the closest to that on the streaming side, but I needed their top-tier subscription to take advantage of the discounts on Hi-Res albums. Still worth it as I've more than paid for the difference in subscription cost with stuff I've bought since my membership started. As far as I understand, both apps can be sideloaded in very easily to the SR25.

In other news, I got this little guy in over the weekend. Tempted to see how it gets along with the SR25:
IMG_20210426_103922__01.jpg
Battery-powered and tube-fed, this Little Bear B4-X is more or less a toy. Still a fun one to play with, but rings like a mother if you tap it and really susceptible to EM from my phone if it's too close.

Consider it a MacGuyver-ed N3 Pro, if you will. Tons of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_154623__01.jpg
    IMG_20210425_154623__01.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,776 of 2,754
Needledrops?! Man, those are not my idea of fun. Started digitizing all my records, got about 4 in, and still ended up overwhelmed. Paid for a purpose-built app as well (not the expensive one), which did help. Then I got so overwhelmed trying to make my records as clean as possible before recording, only to still deal with a bunch of pops and clicks. That is an exercise for the patient only and I don't blame you for not wanting to go through that again. I've ripped over 800 CDs twice...once in 320 and again in FLAC...dbpoweramp helped tremendously. Musicbrainz Picard was a godsend for track tagging and album artwork. Best free tagger on the market as far as I'm concerned.

Good news is there's a ton of good stuff that can be grabbed from sites like Bandcamp for only a few bucks and at least I know more of the money I give to BC goes to the artist. They do periods where 100% of sales go to the artist and announce that via their newsletter. Thank God there's no DRM issues; I can re-download as often as I want. Qobuz has come the closest to that on the streaming side, but I needed their top-tier subscription to take advantage of the discounts on Hi-Res albums. Still worth it as I've more than paid for the difference in subscription cost with stuff I've bought since my membership started. As far as I understand, both apps can be sideloaded in very easily to the SR25.

In other news, I got this little guy in over the weekend. Tempted to see how it gets along with the SR25:
IMG_20210426_103922__01.jpg
Battery-powered and tube-fed, this Little Bear B4-X is more or less a toy. Still a fun one to play with, but rings like a mother if you tap it and really susceptible to EM from my phone if it's too close.

"NeedleDrops", lol, that's a great term! Been there, done that. I used an app called, Sound Studio, for recording software, and an El Gato usb device to make the connection from the phono preamp to my laptop(macbook pro). Sound Studio is really quite a nice app, with great abilities. But, cleaning the record, physically, before recording, and then going back through with Sound Studio to clean up the Rice Crispies was a pain, along with breaking the tracks down and naming them. More fun to do on a rainy day, while enjoying actually listening to the music, along with some good bud, or shake. But, as you've said, BandCamp's offerings and prices are fantastic!

BITD (back-in-the-day), when I'd get home after a trip to the record store, I'd take out the album clean it with my DiscSaver brush, and record both sides to CrO2 metal cassette tape(mostly TDK and Maxell) set to Dobly C, and then, pretty much not touch the vinyl again. So, as it turns out, most of the vinyl I've got is in pretty decent shape, but they all exhibit rice crispies to a degree. I'm not doing that anymore unless there is no other way to acquire a digital version of an album in the collection.

Listening to Steely Dan's, Can't Buy A Thrill, album as I finish this up. One of those island albums I'd need!

Which brings me to, "New Rules", tell us what you're actually listening to at the end of a post. Or, just "f" my new rules. :gs1000smile:

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #1,777 of 2,754

Yes haha you know exactly what I mean! My vinyl collection isn't extensive, appr 200 records or so, but man are they ever a headache to rip compared to CDs!

I'll likely re-rip my CD collection + bandcamp is really nice, it's nice to be able to stream direct from the app to the SR25.

My issue copying music to the SR25 gets stranger, but it's working now!!!

On a whim I decided to re-format the card back to exFAT using the official SD card formatter. Against all the advice I've read here and elsewhere, I have LEFT it in exFAT and not formatted it to FAT32 inside the player.

A few odd things- I had to break the music down into chunks. Copying anything more than 10gb at a time doesn't seem to work - the music still appears on the SD card in file explorer but not on the SR25. This includes me leaving the player running for an hour or two, the music just never seems to get indexed. Additionally, it seemed to really not like any of my artists starting with T, U, V, and W - I had to copy these artists' albums over 3x before I could get it to show up on the player! That really doesn't make any sense :p.

By slowly copying at appr 5gb at a time I have my staple collection of around 155gb of music on there and it's all playing properly with no playback errors (yet).

I watched the screen as the albums were being copied over in these small chunks and it was getting indexed/showing up on the player right away. :)

Really odd but it seems to be working now, sounds gorgeous!

Thank you for the tips everyone.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #1,778 of 2,754
Yes haha you know exactly what I mean! My vinyl collection isn't extensive, appr 200 records or so, but man are they ever a headache to rip compared to CDs!

I'll likely re-rip my CD collection + bandcamp is really nice, it's nice to be able to stream direct from the app to the SR25.

On a whim I decided to re-format the card back to exFAT using the official SD card formatter. Against all the advice I've read here and elsewhere, I have LEFT it in exFAT and not formatted it to FAT32 inside the player.

A few odd things- I had to break the music down into chunks. Copying anything more than 10gb at a time doesn't seem to work - the music still appears on the SD card in file explorer but not on the SR25. This includes me leaving the player running for an hour or two, the music just never seems to get indexed. Additionally, it seemed to really not like any of my artists starting with T, U, V, and W - I had to copy these artists' albums over 3x before I could get it to show up on the player! That really doesn't make any sense :p.

By slowly copying at appr 5gb at a time I have my staple collection of around 155gb of music on there and it's all playing properly with no playback errors (yet).

I watched the screen as the albums were being copied over in these small chunks and it was getting indexed/showing up on the player right away. :)

Glad you're in business! It's still odd behavior... I normally remove my sd card and copy tracks directly on the PC to the card (for me it's much faster that way). I put the card back in the DAP and start it up and it adds any new tracks to the index.

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,779 of 2,754

Good luck on that re-ripping. There's better GUIs than EAC these days, but it's still probably the grand champion for free, bit-perfect CD ripping. What I like about dbpoweramp is that it can read HDCD information from a disc and hard-code the necessary bit-padding; it's just not free. Ended up with quite a few discs that were HDCD-encoded, 24/44.1 albums (Blue Man Group's come to mind) in FLAC that don't require special hardware to re-decode later. Makes a difference in the dynamic range on some tracks, at least according to Roon's DR calculation.

Out of curiosity, what's your Link State Power Management and USB Selective Suspend set to at the moment (Power Options in Win10)? Probably preaching to the choir, but we both know how USB drives "work" with Win10. Might just need a dedicated card reader. Anker makes one for $10 or so.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #1,780 of 2,754
Good luck on that re-ripping. There's better GUIs than EAC these days, but it's still probably the grand champion for free, bit-perfect CD ripping. What I like about dbpoweramp is that it can read HDCD information from a disc and hard-code the necessary bit-padding; it's just not free. Ended up with quite a few discs that were HDCD-encoded, 24/44.1 albums (Blue Man Group's come to mind) in FLAC that don't require special hardware to re-decode later. Makes a difference in the dynamic range on some tracks, at least according to Roon's DR calculation.

Out of curiosity, what's your Link State Power Management and USB Selective Suspend set to at the moment (Power Options in Win10)? Probably preaching to the choir, but we both know how USB drives "work" with Win10. Might just need a dedicated card reader. Anker makes one for $10 or so.

Agreed that USB file transfer can be hit or miss. FYI, this is the card reader that I use with Windows:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006T9B6R2?ref_=pe_386300_442746000_DDT_E_DDE_dt_1

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #1,781 of 2,754

Funny that you mention HDCD. I recall similar arguments about noise level, etc along the lines of the MQA discussions going on today. It did seem to die out eventually, maybe MQA will do the same... :sunglasses:

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #1,783 of 2,754
Funny that you mention HDCD. I recall similar arguments about noise level, etc along the lines of the MQA discussions going on today. It did seem to die out eventually, maybe MQA will do the same... :sunglasses:
I see what you did there...I'm not as passionate about it as you think. Was already a Qobuz fan and the whole iOS/Android war taught me how to be pretty brand-agnostic.
Man, these stories sound like my first venture into digital audio back when all I had was an iPod. Ripped several hundred CDs to 320 mp3. Figured I was set. Then I heard lossless flac and was like, now I’ve gotta rip em all over again?!? Which I did. Terrible price to pay. I use dbPoweramp too.
How about the mental anguish of knowing you had FLAC, but it was -8 instead of uncompressed. Man, OCD sucks (aka CDO, or how it would appear in alphabetical order).

Tube-fed SR25 was fun. Battery died really quick. Had basically no functional use of the volume knob when running it balanced. May try running the IEM single-ended on it after a recharge. That 2V out of the SR25 is no joke...

Apr 26, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #1,784 of 2,754
I see what you did there...I'm not as passionate about it as you think. Was already a Qobuz fan and the whole iOS/Android war taught me how to be pretty brand-agnostic.

How about the mental anguish of knowing you had FLAC, but it was -8 instead of uncompressed. Man, OCD sucks (aka CDO, or how it would appear in alphabetical order).

Tube-fed SR25 was fun. Battery died really quick. Had basically no functional use of the volume knob when running it balanced. May try running the IEM single-ended on it after a recharge. That 2V out of the SR25 is no joke...
Isn’t uncompressed flac essentially WAV? When I rip to flac I do so at highest quality but it’s still compressed. But flac gets decoded so that all original digits are present, no?

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #1,785 of 2,754
Isn’t uncompressed flac essentially WAV? When I rip to flac I do so at highest quality but it’s still compressed. But flac gets decoded so that all original digits are present, no?
It's WAV with metadata. Probably doesn't matter much anymore, but some of these DAPs had really slow loads if you had compressed FLAC. Messed with any hope for gapless playback.

Since storage is so cheap these days, I figure I don't need the compression anyway and have already gone through the process. If some new standard comes out and we auto-magically get the ability to pull SACD data off everything and 1-bit playback becomes a bigger thing again...sure, I'll bust them out and re-rip the whole collection.

It's so much easier to buy digitally now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back