Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Dec 13, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #871 of 1,568
OK, so I now have Alice in Chains, Rainier Fog and Halestorm, Viscious in both AIFF and FLAC MQA. Verdict in the morning...
Have fun!

Dec 13, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #872 of 1,568
Dec 14, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #873 of 1,568
OK, I've had a little review of a couple of albums this morning.

Kit: AK SE100, Atlas Xeno IEM cable, Shure SE535 w/ Westone star tips
Albums: Halestorm, Viscious (24/96) & Alice in Chains, Rainier Fog (16/44)
Format: AIFF vs FLAC MQA

I chose AIFF over FLAC when I bought my AK 70 Mkii, as for whatever reason I found it just sounded better to my ears and I've stuck with it ever since.

So, this morning Mrs Gecko chose the track, and then played the same track back-to-back, but in a different format. I had no idea if it was the MQA or non-MQA track - and she mixed it up a bit. Overall, I covered about half of each album.

At the risk of using the work "compressed" you can tell that the MQA track just sounds a bit tighter. The AIFF seems more relaxed and musical. You can hear the timbre of cymbals better, and the inflection of notes on the bass guitars. Lzzy Hale's rather distintive scream (fans will know what I mean) just sounded clearer on the non-MQA track. However, the MQA (not-unsurprisingly) knocks an MP3 out of the park.

I genuinely had no idea that MQA was a lossy format - so I feel a little cheated and disappointed to be honest. When storage is so cheap, why create a new, lossy format?

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #874 of 1,568
OK, I've had a little review of a couple of albums this morning.

Kit: AK SE100, Atlas Xeno IEM cable, Shure SE535 w/ Westone star tips
Albums: Halestorm, Viscious (24/96) & Alice in Chains, Rainier Fog (16/44)
Format: AIFF vs FLAC MQA

I chose AIFF over FLAC when I bought my AK 70 Mkii, as for whatever reason I found it just sounded better to my ears and I've stuck with it ever since.

So, this morning Mrs Gecko chose the track, and then played the same track back-to-back, but in a different format. I had no idea if it was the MQA or non-MQA track - and she mixed it up a bit. Overall, I covered about half of each album.

At the risk of using the work "compressed" you can tell that the MQA track just sounds a bit tighter. The AIFF seems more relaxed and musical. You can hear the timbre of cymbals better, and the inflection of notes on the bass guitars. Lzzy Hale's rather distintive scream (fans will know what I mean) just sounded clearer on the non-MQA track. However, the MQA (not-unsurprisingly) knocks an MP3 out of the park.

I genuinely had no idea that MQA was a lossy format - so I feel a little cheated and disappointed to be honest. When storage is so cheap, why create a new, lossy format?

I think a lot of people don’t realize it’s lossy because you can ship MQA lossy content inside other containers like FLAC. And because of MQA’s marketing. I’m more concerned with the fact it’s DRM and that the record industry seems to be trying to lock up the entire HiRes market when an open source alternative that is battle tested and viable like FLAC just works. Even I want MQA on devices just so I can stream Tidal Masters content. For what it’s worth, I have been reading some articles where a blogger compares the file formats with software and instruments and finds very little difference in SQ between MQA and Lossless formats but would agree it is clearly better than MP3. My question is then, why bother with another codec, especially one locked up with DRM, a hardware decoder requirement for full “unfolding” and licensing fees that all just get passed to us so the record industry can further enrich itself?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #875 of 1,568
I think a lot of people don’t realize it’s lossy because you can ship MQA lossy content inside other containers like FLAC. And because of MQA’s marketing. I’m more concerned with the fact it’s DRM and that the record industry seems to be trying to lock up the entire HiRes market when an open source alternative that is battle tested and viable like FLAC just works. Even I want MQA on devices just so I can stream Tidal Masters content. For what it’s worth, I have been reading some articles where a blogger compares the file formats with software and instruments and finds very little difference in SQ between MQA and Lossless formats but would agree it is clearly better than MP3. My question is then, why bother with another codec, especially one locked up with DRM, a hardware decoder requirement for full “unfolding” and licensing fees that all just get passed to us so the record industry can further enrich itself?

Yep... I had no idea. Why would there be lossy compression in a non-lossy format?

Anyway, slightly tangental to the SE100 thread - which incidentially, I am loving.

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #876 of 1,568

well to me i can hear the difference clearly using tidal.

go to a band called : the war on drugs
album: a deeper understanding - ( on tidal there is the mqa and non mqa )
song: strangest thing ( which is number 4 )

u clearly can hear mqa to be better sounding, so what ever mqa is, to my ears it sounds better than non mqa on tidal

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #877 of 1,568
well to me i can hear the difference clearly using tidal.

go to a band called : the war on drugs
album: a deeper understanding - ( on tidal there is the mqa and non mqa )
song: strangest thing ( which is number 4 )

u clearly can hear mqa to be better sounding, so what ever mqa is, to my ears it sounds better than non mqa on tidal
The non MQA track on Tidal would be a 16/44.1 CD-quality track, where the MQA Tidal Masters track would be 24/96. You should notice a difference on a good quality recording going from 16bits to 24bits.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 14, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #878 of 1,568
hi @JasonNYC saw another update to 1.16 again using my own wifi same issue as before

y is this happening, i only face this with ak se100 dap

its torture to use my mobile hotspot everytime to update

can u check with AK

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #880 of 1,568
Dec 14, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #881 of 1,568
@JasonNYC

I saw post above about 1.16 and noticed it on DAP.
Why isn't this URL updated for 1.16 ?
https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/content/support/notice/list.asp
It’s a fix for the screen issues. When powered off and plugged in to charge, the SP1000 and SE100 screen would faintly light up. Our dev team did a fix and was supposed to release it Monday morning, but it looks like they pushed it out before they left for the weekend. We were surprised ourselves here in the US offices when we woke up and saw the update. They will probably update it when they are back in the office Monday morning.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 14, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #882 of 1,568
I love surprise firmware updates!

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #883 of 1,568
It’s a fix for the screen issues. When powered off and plugged in to charge, the SP1000 and SE100 screen would faintly light up. Our dev team did a fix and was supposed to release it Monday morning, but it looks like they pushed it out before they left for the weekend. We were surprised ourselves here in the US offices when we woke up and saw the update. They will probably update it when they are back in the office Monday morning.
Glad to have an update, was just wondering about the URL. Thanks.

Dec 15, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #884 of 1,568
Love this player. I think the sound on dx200 with amp 8 may be better but the UI on this batters all other players. It's my evening wind down player

Dec 16, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #885 of 1,568
How is the SE100 compared to the SR15 in terms of SQ? Has anybody done a comparison yet? I have currently an SR15 but can't hear any plus compared to my LG V30 with my Beyerdynamic DT1770. So I am just about to do an upgrade to the SE100, however, I am not convinced yet the SE100 is really a +$1000 upgrade from the SR15/LG V30. Unfortunately, I can't try it any near to me...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back