Astell&Kern SA700 - Past meets Present
Dec 1, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #452 of 705
We recommend a minimum of 50+ hours of burn-in time for all of our players.

I want to thank you again for trying to help me out with the side loading, I never was able to get the SA700 to save the xapk files using Android File Transfer with my Mac. Until Radio Paradise is whitelisted, I’m not going to use this feature, I’m really enjoying listening to my library of albums. 😁

But I really hope Radio Paradise is whitelisted! 🙏

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #455 of 705
If anyone has an older version of SA700 firmware, please pm me. I updated to v1.25 and don't like what I'm hearing. If I'm not able to downgrade the firmware, I'm sending it back for a refund. Thank you.

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #456 of 705
If anyone has an older version of SA700 firmware, please pm me. I updated to v1.25 and don't like what I'm hearing. If I'm not able to downgrade the firmware, I'm sending it back for a refund. Thank you.

One of the new additions with the latest firmware are filters for the DAC. Have you tried the different filters yet?

Dec 23, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #458 of 705
I have but i still prefer sound signature of 1.07 firmware that my SA700 came with.

Reach out to iriver to see if you can download the old version. They’ve done it in the past.

Dec 26, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #460 of 705
They don't do that anymore.
I would wager they didn't change a thing in the playback chain code; Player engine, music path buffers etc. You could try re-installing the current FW. I found that sometimes it doesn't 'take' as well as it could on various devices. Also do a device reset. A&K can obviously hear but it's odd how one part of code can affect another. 'IF' they got caught out by a code change that shouldn't have affected the playback portion and your take is correct, they will likely tweak the next one to get it back where they want it but try the re-install and device reset and report back.

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #462 of 705
I’m looking at the SA700 to replace my ak240. Anyone able to compare the sound? I am quite impressed with the ak240 but am wondering if new technology has provided for greater performance at this price point. I don’t care about the streaming or Bluetooth or such features, just the sound quality.
Thanks

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #463 of 705
I’m looking at the SA700 to replace my ak240. Anyone able to compare the sound? I am quite impressed with the ak240 but am wondering if new technology has provided for greater performance at this price point. I don’t care about the streaming or Bluetooth or such features, just the sound quality.
Thanks
If you can manage it spend a few dollars more and secure a used SP2k. It is a fantastic sounding DAP!

Jan 2, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #464 of 705
Thanks

I owned the 240 and 240SS and just bought an SA700. The tonal character is different ... the SA700 has a midrange that is pushed forward compared to the 240, and also has a warmer character in the trebles. I also feel there is a bit more heft to the bass region.

The biggest niggle is the os is sometimes sluggish, more so than the 240. With a 4-core processor, I found this surprising. Do keep in mind, though, my library is primarily populated by hi-res files which may be a factor. Oh, can’t forget to mention that for us Mac users, the Android File Transfer app makes me not want to store any files on the onboard memory because the app (latest version) is so buggy. It can be very frustrating at times, and at others it works perfectly. 😒

As to my overall satisfaction level, I’m good with the tonal changes, the resolution is better due to the brand new 4492 dacs (which, by the way, are a more power efficient version of the 4497), the Cirrus Logic dacs used in the 240 are an old design going back to the mid 2000s. The fit and finish is typical of AK’s best daps, just beautifully made. I owned the original AK120 which the SA700 is a tribute to, so I love the design. 👍

If AK can fix the sluggishness in a firmware update, this would be a 10/10 purchase.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #465 of 705
@JasonNYC, I’m experiencing sluggishness with the OS on my new SA700. Is this a known issue, and can we expect a firmware update that resolves this issue in the near future?

Also, just my gentle reminder to please get AK to whitelist Radio Paradise. 🙏🙏🙏

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back