Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Apr 24, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #586 of 600
I'm waiting for another little friend of the AKPA10 to arrive who has only one weak point in amplification (not for power but for refinement)... FiiO Q15. We will see what they will be able to express when connected to each other. The desktop mode function and the 4.4mm balanced line out should make it perfect for the AKPA10. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives. :wink:
And did you already had a listen to the combo?

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #588 of 600
And did you already had a listen to the combo?

Yeah im also very interested how they compare as a combo and as separate devices (pa10 with some nice source of course).

I hope to let you know as soon as I have the Q15 in my hands, which if it behaves well connected to the PA10 could truly represent something unique, given the presence of balanced line out (which the H7 does not have) and above all the function Desktop Mode which at the same time preserves the battery (by not charging it) and increases performance... let's hope this is really the case. This Desktop Mode should be implemented by now in all dac/amps but unfortunately this is not the case yet (D16 Taipan I'm looking at you). My 20k powerbank and PA10 can't wait to meet it. Then for 300 euros it is really convenient... practically the price of a dongle and not even the most expensive ones. I'll let you know as soon as possible. :wink:

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #589 of 600
slt6.jpg

The musicality of the Colorfly CDA-M1P
The power, the stage and the fullness of the Astell&Kern AK PA10
The precision, the tonality and the technical qualities of the Myer Audio SLIIVO SL-T6
Joe Satriani's six-string guitar
The music

May 1, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #590 of 600
will it be safe if i were to use a 3.5 to 4.4 m2m to connect mojo2 and pa10?

The idea is so that i can connect my headphone through pa10 4.4 out
You can do this. The balanced input on the PA10 simply won't have the differential signal it's expecting, so it technically won't be balanced, but it'll still work fine. I've been doing this for almost a year now.

May 3, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #591 of 600
I hope to let you know as soon as I have the Q15 in my hands, which if it behaves well connected to the PA10 could truly represent something unique, given the presence of balanced line out (which the H7 does not have) and above all the function Desktop Mode which at the same time preserves the battery (by not charging it) and increases performance... let's hope this is really the case. This Desktop Mode should be implemented by now in all dac/amps but unfortunately this is not the case yet (D16 Taipan I'm looking at you). My 20k powerbank and PA10 can't wait to meet it. Then for 300 euros it is really convenient... practically the price of a dongle and not even the most expensive ones. I'll let you know as soon as possible. :wink:
Still no Q15? Or just building up tension 😂

May 3, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #592 of 600
Still no Q15? Or just building up tension 😂
I was hoping it would arrive this week, but Q15 decided to stay a little longer in Holland (for obvious reasons)... so hopefully it will be next week. Maybe it will come already run in... lol

May 9, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #593 of 600
The Q15 has finally arrived, but with sub-zero battery... now a good charge and let's start with the tests...

Q15.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #594 of 600
A little warm up and I'll let you know as soon as possible...

test.jpg

May 9, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #595 of 600
Some considerations on the use of the Q15 alone... it is certainly an excellent device with a sound that is enough and more than enough to make 90% of users happy and considering its price it can certainly be defined as a bargain without any doubt. Having said this, a direct comparison with the H7 cannot be made... if from a point of view of timbre, details, power and synergy it does not differ too much from the H7 what is missing is the refinement and richness of the sound. Let's say we are at 80% of the H7's offering... you can hear a greater propensity for details and bass impact, but for everything else the H7 is something else. Now we come to the use of the Q15 with the AK PA10 whose total expense slightly exceeds the price of the H7 (if bought well), here things change completely and the Q15 takes a slight advantage on some parameters while on others the advantage becomes more evident. In combination with the Astell&Kern amplifier, the Q15 fully shows its real potential... the AKM 4499EX becomes what it should be and that is a truly unique dac. The details remain intact therefore with a slight advantage over the H7 but the roughness shown with the original amplification is now a distant memory... the soundstage of the IER-Z1R which is already enormous in itself becomes simply stellar, but the thing that increases significantly the richness of the sound stage is incredible... truly incredible. Everything sounds like in your dreams a listening system should dream... everything is colourful, vivid, smooth, powerful, expansive, musical, visceral, emotional... but above all real. If on its own the Q15 has very few rivals in its price category (when paid 320 euros) when coupled with the AK PA10 the gap towards a system of the same price (320 euros + 480 euros) becomes a desert completely devoid of any form of life. If you already own the Q15, you can easily purchase the AK PA10 to reach a truly high level... the same applies in reverse for those who already own the AK PA10. If you don't have either and are looking for something amazing to listen to... maybe it's time to buy both.

test1.jpg

May 10, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #597 of 600
Hi
I am concerning to buy an shanling m5 ultra as my new dap also having the ak4499ex and want to ask about the amplification power of the ak pa10. Is it powerful to drive hifiman he1000 stealth?

Also comparing shanling h7 and ak pa10 how do they compare in power output and volume ? Looking for an amp to drive planar magnetic headphones.

Thanks in advance Jonathan

May 10, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #598 of 600
Hi
I am concerning to buy an shanling m5 ultra as my new dap also having the ak4499ex and want to ask about the amplification power of the ak pa10. Is it powerful to drive hifiman he1000 stealth?

Also comparing shanling h7 and ak pa10 how do they compare in power output and volume ? Looking for an amp to drive planar magnetic headphones.

Thanks in advance Jonathan
In my opinion, no portable amplifier can bring out the best from the HEK Stealth and it's not just a question of power, but everyone can drive them. I tested them with the H7 (1300 mw), with the AK PA10 (1890 mw), with the iBasso DX220MAX (1900 mw), with the Venture Electronics RA2BFE (3000 mw) and with the ifi micro iCan SE ( 4000 mw), but none of these amplifications even came close to what the HEK Stealths are capable of expressing when connected to the Cayin iHA-6 (7000 mw). The amplification of the AK PA10 is certainly superior to that of the H7 and not only for power/volume issues, after all it is pure class A amplification, which is completely on another planet compared to that of the excellent H7. It's a different matter to amplify (for example) the HER-10D which, thanks to their sensitivity (103db) reach their full potential with each of the amplifications mentioned above. The HEK Stealth was created to be driven by desktop amplifiers and not so much in terms of their power, it doesn't take much to make them scream... but we're talking about screaming and not sounding. (personal opinion)

P.S. Having said this, among the portable amplifiers, the one that best manages to make them "sound" is precisely the AK PA10 among those that I have been able to try.

May 10, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #599 of 600
In my opinion, no portable amplifier can bring out the best from the HEK Stealth and it's not just a question of power, but everyone can drive them. I tested them with the H7 (1300 mw), with the AK PA10 (1890 mw), with the iBasso DX220MAX (1900 mw), with the Venture Electronics RA2BFE (3000 mw) and with the ifi micro iCan SE ( 4000 mw), but none of these amplifications even came close to what the HEK Stealths are capable of expressing when connected to the Cayin iHA-6 (7000 mw). The amplification of the AK PA10 is certainly superior to that of the H7 and not only for power/volume issues, after all it is pure class A amplification, which is completely on another planet compared to that of the excellent H7. It's a different matter to amplify (for example) the HER-10D which, thanks to their sensitivity (103db) reach their full potential with each of the amplifications mentioned above. The HEK Stealth was created to be driven by desktop amplifiers and not so much in terms of their power, it doesn't take much to make them scream... but we're talking about screaming and not sounding. (personal opinion)

P.S. Having said this, among the portable amplifiers, the one that best manages to make them "sound" is precisely the AK PA10 among those that I have been able to try.
Ok thank you. Understand your point of view. Its not only about watts also volt and power supply.

Tried it with my ibasso dx300 with amp12 and also ifi micro idsd dac. Was ok but not the best.
My burson conductor and ferrum erco are my amps to make them sing. Thought maybe there is a good portable amp out there. But probably not.

Will try to get my hands on the pa10 for my other gear. Like astell kern sound alot and a portableclass A amp. Or m5 ultra first.

Still thanks for your comment.
One last question about q15 and h7 as sole dac do they sound different or nit because of the same ak4499ex

Have a nice weekend and enjoy listening

May 10, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #600 of 600
Ok thank you. Understand your point of view. Its not only about watts also volt and power supply.

Tried it with my ibasso dx300 with amp12 and also ifi micro idsd dac. Was ok but not the best.
My burson conductor and ferrum erco are my amps to make them sing. Thought maybe there is a good portable amp out there. But probably not.

Will try to get my hands on the pa10 for my other gear. Like astell kern sound alot and a portableclass A amp. Or m5 ultra first.

Still thanks for your comment.
One last question about q15 and h7 as sole dac do they sound different or nit because of the same ak4499ex

Have a nice weekend and enjoy listening
If you're looking for a single, complete machine, the H7 is definitely superior... but the Q15 with the PA10 is superior. In terms of tonality, detail rendering and general quality they are similar, but the amplification of the H7 is superior, so in the end the sound of the H7 is richer and more complete than that offered by the Q15 alone... which however is reversed if we are talking about Q15+PA10. Also in terms of price, the H7 is more or less the same as the Q15+PA10... so if you are looking for the convenience of having everything in a single solution, the H7 is preferable, but if you want the versatility of having separate pieces and above all if , you are already intending to buy the PA10, perhaps you could save yourself the difference between the Q15 and the H7 and get the Q15 directly. Having said that, however, the H7 remains a monster for general performance (worth every penny like the Q15 and PA10 for that matter) as well as offering a softer and less brilliant sound than the Q15. The choice is yours...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back