Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Sep 15, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #226 of 615
:relaxed: I should point out that I also use the PA 10/SE180 combo as a fixed source on my second sedentary system, as a Roon end point......SE180 4.4 output set to Fixed, PA10 volume set to 3/4....preamp and Ayre amp, Goldmund speakers...Qobuz streaming without problems...no background noise....absolute darkness and superb musicality :wink:

Sep 15, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #227 of 615
I've used pa10 stacked with sa700 dap while streaming tidal- all good. No issues when stacked with hm1000 dac in bt receiver mode either.

I’ve streamed with multiple DAPS no issues at all.

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #229 of 615
No point making this hobby simple 😂

The Gryphon as the DAC is notably warmer than the Shanling M3 Ultra as the DAC direct to the PA10 and the PA10 does its own magic.

The bass on this song can easily get flabby on some gear and the female vocals can get harsh. This set up sounds excellent.

I also tried my iFi Diablo as the DAC and it is also excellent.

Running the AuR Neon Pro straight from the M3 Ultra on its own does not come close, the bass is loose and the vocal sibilance rears it head.

I am loving the PA10, it would be one of my better purchases.

IMG_3862.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #230 of 615
No point making this hobby simple 😂

The Gryphon as the DAC is notably warmer than the Shanling M3 Ultra as the DAC direct to the PA10 and the PA10 does its own magic.

The bass on this song can easily get flabby on some gear and the female vocals can get harsh. This set up sounds excellent.

I also tried my iFi Diablo as the DAC and it is also excellent.

Running the AuR Neon Pro straight from the M3 Ultra on its own does not come close, the bass is loose and the vocal sibilance rears it head.

I am loving the PA10, it would be one of my better purchases.

Yeah!! This hobby of ours is not simple at all😀

Can you tell me if Diablo has any benifits over PA10 not driving power but bass control, authority and slam?

I am using NX7 with my RS6 and looking at PA10 for a while.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #231 of 615
It's great that you're experimenting, but in such a set, the issue of convenience and price or this set is still a factor.
With two FIIO M11 Ltd A&K PA10 components, I wonder if it would be better to replace them with the A&K SE100, it is the same class-A amplifier from A&K with a similar sound to the PA10.
I have no place to listen and compare.
And comfort even when wearing such a DAP.

Sep 16, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #232 of 615
Yeah!! This hobby of ours is not simple at all😀

Can you tell me if Diablo has any benifits over PA10 not driving power but bass control, authority and slam?

I am using NX7 with my RS6 and looking at PA10 for a while.

I don’t think the Diablo has any advantage over the PA10 if you take straight out power out of the equation.

The Diablo as a DAC/amp is notably cooler sounding while the Burr Brown DAC into the PA10 is notably more warm and pleasant to my ear.

If outright power isn’t an issue I don’t think the Diablo has any advantage, unless you need a cooler sort of sound signature to pair with a warm headphone or IEM.

The PA10 doesn’t have the power of the Diablo but it isn’t a slouch and unless you need as much power as possible in a somewhat portable package I would personally prefer the PA10, especially if you have a source to act as the DAC.

Sep 16, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #233 of 615
It's great that you're experimenting, but in such a set, the issue of convenience and price or this set is still a factor.
With two FIIO M11 Ltd A&K PA10 components, I wonder if it would be better to replace them with the A&K SE100, it is the same class-A amplifier from A&K with a similar sound to the PA10.
I have no place to listen and compare.
And comfort even when wearing such a DAP.

You are absolutely correct.

I experimented because I happen to have the gear but in reality I much prefer the convenience factor of my M11 Plus LTD into the PA10 or the Gryphon or Diablo off a DAP, Phone or computer.

That said, for portability I use the Shanling M 3Ultra on its own so a three piece set at the desk isn’t a huge inconvenience.

Sep 16, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #234 of 615
The Diablo as a DAC/amp is notably cooler sounding while the Burr Brown DAC into the PA10 is notably more warm and pleasant to my ear.
The PA 10 is not a Dac, just a Class A amp, right?

Sep 16, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #236 of 615
I don’t think the Diablo has any advantage over the PA10 if you take straight out power out of the equation.

If outright power isn’t an issue I don’t think the Diablo has any advantage, unless you need a cooler sort of sound signature to pair with a warm headphone or IEM.

The PA10 doesn’t have the power of the Diablo but it isn’t a slouch and unless you need as much power as possible in a somewhat portable package I would personally prefer the PA10, especially if you have a source to act as the DAC.
Thanks, PA10 is my next purchase for sure now.

Sep 16, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #239 of 615
I did sayBurr Brown DAC into the PA10 not in the PA10.

Meaning the DAC is in the Diablo that I had connected to the PA10, or the Gryphon in the case of the photo a few posts above.
I am French and when you use Google translation in your message, you understand that the PA 10 integrates the burr brown dac...sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back