Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Sep 4, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #213 of 620
I don't think that the battery is replaceable, but here's why I think that might be okay:

In my use, I probably use the PA10 for about 12 hours a week -- a little less than 2 hours per day. 12 hours (or 1 week) equates to about 1 battery charge.

If I assume that the battery can be recharged as many times as an iPhone battery (which is supposed to last about 2 years with daily charges) then I'd have 730 charging cycles (365x2).

If I'm charging once a week on average, then I'd have roughly 14 years of use of the PA10. By that time, I'll be happy to justify purchasing a new amp!

But, even when the battery reaches the end of its recharging life, I presume that the PA10 will operate when plugged in to a wall power outlet--so it becomes a stationary amp.

And, perhaps Astell &l Kern will have (if they don't already) a battery replacement program in the future.

Sep 7, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #215 of 620
I don't think that the battery is replaceable, but here's why I think that might be okay:

In my use, I probably use the PA10 for about 12 hours a week -- a little less than 2 hours per day. 12 hours (or 1 week) equates to about 1 battery charge.

If I assume that the battery can be recharged as many times as an iPhone battery (which is supposed to last about 2 years with daily charges) then I'd have 730 charging cycles (365x2).

If I'm charging once a week on average, then I'd have roughly 14 years of use of the PA10. By that time, I'll be happy to justify purchasing a new amp!

But, even when the battery reaches the end of its recharging life, I presume that the PA10 will operate when plugged in to a wall power outlet--so it becomes a stationary amp.

And, perhaps Astell &l Kern will have (if they don't already) a battery replacement program in the future.
BTW, I asked Bloom Audio about this about this and they stated that they didn't know for sure but they imagine AK would replace the battery for this since they allow it for all of their DAPs.

I certainly agree with your analysis though, as I forgot about the ability to just run it plugged in.

Sep 7, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #216 of 620
:relaxed:Hello, this is my first post here... my name is Christian, and I live near Paris in France....I bought a PA 10 a few days ago, which I paired with my Astell&Kern SE180 (SEM4) and my Denon AH-D9200 headphones.....The result is really beyond my expectations, even with my Denon which is quite easy to drive.
it is partly thanks to this thread that I decided, because in France we talk very little about the PA10...
can't wait for me to receive my little 4.4/4.4 cable....since a priori it will be even better......:scream:

Sep 8, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #217 of 620
Completing my arsenals LOL
Honey from Dethonray can be BAL source too
IMG_20230908_214823.jpg

Sep 10, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #218 of 620
For sale
Selling my new A&K PA10, after recieving the Aroma A100TB (no need for two amps)
Bought less than two months ago, minimal usage, new condition, original package and sales invoice. Adding a 4.4mm short interconnect cable (not included in original package).

Asking for 470$ usd

Secured shippment to be determined by destination (anywhere) and chosen shipper

Please PM.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #219 of 620
My PA10 arrived today and I had a listen for a couple of hours. I started with my FiiO M11 Plus LTD using the 4.4mm line out into the PA10 with AuR Audio Neon Pro IEM which sounded fabulous. It seemed like the sound was immediately more dynamic than straight off the M11 Plus, a combination that I had previously been listening to for about 8 hours while working,

I moved to my Shanling M3 Ultra, since the M11 needed charging, and HD600, also using the 4.4mm and the HD600 sounded as good as I have heard them on any amplifier. Sounds were very crisp and impactful and seemed to be more pin point isolated than off my iFi Diablo that I usually use with the HD600.

I had a quick listen with Dan Clark Aeon Noire planars which also sounded great. The Aeon need quite a bit of power but the PA10 drove them effortlessly. I tried the different current settings and the higher current settings seemed to give the bass a touch more authority but to be honest that might have been expectation bias.

The PA10 had a touch of soft hiss with my most sensitive IEM but to be honest it was not intrusive at all, notably quieter than an iFi Go Bar and I believe also quieter than the iFi Gryphon by way of comparison.

It doesn’t have anything like the power of the iFi Diablo but it still has plenty.

That volume pot is an absolute pleasure to use.

I am very happy so far and while still not cheap I think it represents good value. It is beautifully made and a pleasure to use.

I asked about 4.4mm interconnects earlier but didn’t get a reply. For anyone that might be interested I used a Forza Audioworks cable that has all five terminals connected, a ddhifi cable that also uses all five terminals and a GUCraftsman cable that only uses the four terminals with the ground omitted. All three worked perfectly so any number of more cost effective 4.4mm to 4.4mm cables would work with the PA10, I know there are several makers on Aliexpress selling much more reasonably priced 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnects.

IMG_3857.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #220 of 620
My PA10 arrived today and I had a listen for a couple of hours. I started with my FiiO M11 Plus LTD using the 4.4mm line out into the PA10 with AuR Audio Neon Pro IEM which sounded fabulous. It seemed like the sound was immediately more dynamic than straight off the M11 Plus, a combination that I had previously been listening to for about 8 hours while working,

I moved to my Shanling M3 Ultra, since the M11 needed charging, and HD600, also using the 4.4mm and the HD600 sounded as good as I have heard them on any amplifier. Sounds were very crisp and impactful and seemed to be more pin point isolated than off my iFi Diablo that I usually use with the HD600.

I had a quick listen with Dan Clark Aeon Noire planars which also sounded great. The Aeon need quite a bit of power but the PA10 drove them effortlessly. I tried the different current settings and the higher current settings seemed to give the bass a touch more authority but to be honest that might have been expectation bias.

The PA10 had a touch of soft hiss with my most sensitive IEM but to be honest it was not intrusive at all, notably quieter than an iFi Go Bar and I believe also quieter than the iFi Gryphon by way of comparison.

It doesn’t have anything like the power of the iFi Diablo but it still has plenty.

That volume pot is an absolute pleasure to use.

I am very happy so far and while still not cheap I think it represents good value. It is beautifully made and a pleasure to use.

I asked about 4.4mm interconnects earlier but didn’t get a reply. For anyone that might be interested I used a Forza Audioworks cable that has all five terminals connected, a ddhifi cable that also uses all five terminals and a GUCraftsman cable that only uses the four terminals with the ground omitted. All three worked perfectly so any number of more cost effective 4.4mm to 4.4mm cables would work with the PA10, I know there are several makers on Aliexpress selling much more reasonably priced 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnects.

IMG_3857.jpeg
Thank you for posting this, Noire is in my watch list too.

Sep 14, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #221 of 620
I listened with the PA10 fed by my M11 Plus LTD via the 4.4mm line out into AuR Audio Neon Pro IEM all day and I am very impressed.

I just let my own Apple Music mixed genre playlist shuffle all day and I kept getting these wow moments where the crisp, clean, insightful and dynamic sound kept standing out. I genuinely was hearing little details in some songs I know quite well popping out in places I didn’t even know they existed.

I didn’t bother with a back and forth A/B test with the M11 because I know I acclimatise to a new sound so quickly that I miss what is actually different but I was continually impressed with how effortlessly pleasant the PA10 made the Neon Pro sound and how easy they were to listen to all day despite being a rather energetic IEM and without any masking of detail and crispness.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #222 of 620
:relaxed:I completely agree...The PA 10 even transcends my FiiO FH9 IEM.....now it is constantly coupled with my A&K SE180 DAP :wink:

Sep 14, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #223 of 620
Appreciate everyone's postings on their usage experiences with their PA-10s.

I was wondering if anyone does much music streaming with their PA-10 in a stack with a DAP in a streaming scenario.

I was thinking of combining the amp with a Shanling M6 Pro or FiiO M11 Plus ESS using bal 4.4mm but wanted to know if anyone had had a similar set-up and could comment on any possible RF noise leaking into the audible range.

Thanks for any info!

Sep 14, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #224 of 620

I was wondering if anyone does much music streaming with their PA-10 in a stack with a DAP in a streaming scenario.

I was thinking of combining the amp with a Shanling M6 Pro or FiiO M11 Plus ESS using bal 4.4mm but wanted to know if anyone had had a similar set-up and could comment on any possible RF noise leaking into the audible range.

Thanks for any info!
I've used pa10 stacked with sa700 dap while streaming tidal- all good. No issues when stacked with hm1000 dac in bt receiver mode either.

Sep 14, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #225 of 620

Thanks for any info!

That is exactly how I am using the PA10, that is streaming from Tidal and Apple Music with a FiiO M11 Plus LTD and a Shanling M3 Ultra as in the photo a few posts up.

Works perfectly, no need for any concern about potential unwanted noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back