Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Aug 23, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #196 of 620
Does anyone here have an experience with both the Fiio M11 Plus and the Hiby R6 Pro II? Am looking to upgrade to a DAP with a 4.4mm balanced line out mode as my main source for my PA10, those two seem like two of the best options for $750 or less - is the Hiby worth the ~$250 difference between that and a used M11 Plus? Seem like they have pretty similar specs, the hiby just has the newer akm chips (versus a plus ltd - which seem to be selling for ~$500).
There's the new Fiio m23 coming out, supposedly this fall, but we don't know quite what that one will cost and I don't want to get sucked into too much FOMO (fear of missing out) - I would like a new device sooner rather than later.
Thanks!
MrNailhead - you are asking the same questions as me - what's next.
I currently have a FIIO M11 Plus Ltd + A&K PA10 sandwich.
I had this DAP before buying PA10.
In my opinion, the FIIO Plus Ltd version on AKM4497EQ sounds better than the Plus version (without Ltd) ES9068AS
- but that's just only my opinion, I know there are ESS supporters and I respect that.

After all, FIIO M11 Plus ... is an old model with many limitations at 2023. (Android 10, CPU 660, BT 5.50, not all new codecs .....etc).
Has he currently purchased the FIIO M11 Plus ESS now - no
FIIO himself writes about it in this thread that it is an old model over 2 years old - read it.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fiio-2023-new-product-schedule.966914/

FIIO predicts as you write the new FIIO M23 model in the fall.
I'm waiting for him too.
Estimated price around $750 - something between the old M11 Plus and the new M15s (it was released in April but it's a late model from winter 2022)

I guess that FIIO M23 will have a configuration similar to HiBy R6 Pro II.
HiBy R6 Pro II, unfortunately, is not refined and especially the performance on the battery is disappointing.
Please note that the FIIO M17 and the FIIO DAC/AMP Q7 amplifier (without a display) are identical devices in terms of configuration.
At the last Cam Jam in London, the DAC/AMP Q15 was presented and the specification was given, it is supposed to be a twin to the M23.

I'm following the thread FIIO schedule and I'm waiting because I want to buy a modern device with a new CPU, AKM4499EX and newer Android with new codecs.
So that it will serve me .... two years when new specifications appear.:relaxed:
The A&K PA10 class A balanced amplifier stays and will be connected to it.

Aug 23, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #198 of 620
I have one of these for sale in the classified if anyone is keen. Lovely unit but can't keep it since I got a Tsuranagi.
The Tsuranagi amp has replaced your PA10.
What DAP are you connecting it to Tsuranagi ?

We're about to change the topic of the thread from A&K PA10 to "What portable amp do you use for your DAP"
ClassA balanced amplifiers discussed here - Astell & Kern, Cayin C9, Tsuranagi - it's probably still Mass Kobo 4xx - anyone uses it with DAP?

Aug 23, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #199 of 620
I asked above but no response so I will try one more time.

Realistically is the PA10 going to make a really obvious audible difference versus:

Chord mojo OG

iFi Gryphon

iFi Diablo

Anybody own these and the PA10 and can offer a comparison ?

I like the idea of the PA10 but I don't want to spend the money if it won't bring a really tangible improvement, I don't hear significant differences with DACs and amps, is the PA10 going to change that ?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #200 of 620
The Tsuranagi amp has replaced your PA10.
What DAP are you connecting it to Tsuranagi ?

We're about to change the topic of the thread from A&K PA10 to "What portable amp do you use for your DAP"
ClassA balanced amplifiers discussed here - Astell & Kern, Cayin C9, Tsuranagi - it's probably still Mass Kobo 4xx - anyone uses it with DAP?
Rs8

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #201 of 620
HiBy RS8? - this DAP
It's ~~similar in DAP specs to the A&K SE300
DAC R2R with a class A amplifier - but with such a strong configuration do you think that connecting an external A&K PA10 - helps and it sounds better with it?

Aug 24, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #202 of 620
I have one of these for sale in the classified if anyone is keen. Lovely unit but can't keep it since I got a Tsuranagi.
Please share, how does the A&K PA10, scales (compares) sonically against the Tsuranagi?

One more: did anyone had the opportunity to sonically compare the PA10 against the Aroma A100TB?

Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #203 of 620
Happy times 😀

Attachments

• IMG_2923.jpeg
    IMG_2923.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 27, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #204 of 620
Please share, how does the A&K PA10, scales (compares) sonically against the Tsuranagi?

One more: did anyone had the opportunity to sonically compare the PA10 against the Aroma A100TB?

Thanks
Sorry for the slow response. Very different sonically. PA10 adds a lovely little bit of warmth whereas Tsuranagi is more straight wire gain to my ears. Neither is necessarily better though the PA10 has more settings which is nice. I personally preferred the Tsuranagi with my DCA stealth which is why I kept it. Having said that I've got a 23RM coming this week that will have a showdown with the Tsuranagi so we'll see. All first world problems as these are all lovely pieces of gear.

Aug 30, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #205 of 620
Just ordered a PA10, should have it in a week.

Just a quick question, does the PA10 work with a 4 wire 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect or does it need a 5 wire with the ground.

I have a 4 wire GUCraftsman, a 5 wire Forza Audioworks custom cable and an iFi which is a 5 wire so I have the bases covered but in some applications the 4 wire GUCraftsman cable would be a nicer set up and I was hoping that would work.

Looking forward to a new toy :)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #207 of 620
I asked above but no response so I will try one more time.

Realistically is the PA10 going to make a really obvious audible difference versus:

Chord mojo OG

iFi Gryphon

iFi Diablo

Anybody own these and the PA10 and can offer a comparison ?

I like the idea of the PA10 but I don't want to spend the money if it won't bring a really tangible improvement, I don't hear significant differences with DACs and amps, is the PA10 going to change that ?
Hi, I had the Gryphon and the mojo og with poly and have had the PA10 for about a month - much prefer the AK amp and sold the other 2, no contest for me.
In a basic comparison :
Gryphon - ok sound signiture but not very natural sounding, although versatile with lots of connection options
Mojo + Poly - nice warm ish signiture, good sound detail - pretty good but a pain to get connected wirelessly - never got its app working properly.
PA10 - like adding a bit of AK3000 dap sound to older daps, very black background, sharp detail, great energy in its output. A keeper for me - pairs well with my Sony WM1Z and Cayin N6ii - breaths new life into these older daps.
Hope this helps !
Cheers, JD

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #208 of 620
Hi, I had the Gryphon and the mojo og with poly and have had the PA10 for about a month - much prefer the AK amp and sold the other 2, no contest for me.
In a basic comparison :
Gryphon - ok sound signiture but not very natural sounding, although versatile with lots of connection options
Mojo + Poly - nice warm ish signiture, good sound detail - pretty good but a pain to get connected wirelessly - never got its app working properly.
PA10 - like adding a bit of AK3000 dap sound to older daps, very black background, sharp detail, great energy in its output. A keeper for me - pairs well with my Sony WM1Z and Cayin N6ii - breaths new life into these older daps.
Hope this helps !
Cheers, JD

Thanks so much for the reply.

I have since ordered a PA10 and very much look forward to listening with it.

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #209 of 620
Anyone have experience with using the pa10 with an audioquest red dongle? Does it make it more listenable and 3D-like as it is kinda flat sounding and frankly not that great.

I have bought a set of focal clear OG and don’t know what my next move should be. I need a transportable kit. And have set my eyes on the pa10 and a mid-level dap down the line. Do anyone have a good suggestion for a transportable kit (for use around the house etc)that synergies well with the Clears? It could also be a good dongle dac to go with the pa10 or something completely different.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #210 of 620
Anyone have experience with using the pa10 with an audioquest red dongle? Does it make it more listenable and 3D-like as it is kinda flat sounding and frankly not that great.

I have bought a set of focal clear OG and don’t know what my next move should be. I need a transportable kit. And have set my eyes on the pa10 and a mid-level dap down the line. Do anyone have a good suggestion for a transportable kit (for use around the house etc)that synergies well with the Clears? It could also be a good dongle dac to go with the pa10 or something completely different.
If it is to be a minimalist version, maybe use Astell & Kern SR35 for PA10 - check it out before buying it in the store.
And if it must necessarily be a dongle, it must be with a 4.4mm balanced line output.

Overall Astell&Kern PA10 connected via balanced 4.4mm only shows class and magic,
it's not the same when you connect it via regular unbalanced 3.5mm and it's really flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back